Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sun 28-Mar-21 08:17:00
Print Post

Re: SMS TEXT MESSAGES

[re: TimJ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TimJ:
A Spokesperson for Vodafone told ISPreview.co.uk:

“I can confirm, we do now support SMS over Wi-Fi. Since December, it has been enabled on Apple devices supporting iOS 14 (iPhone 6S and above), on Google Pixel 3 (and above), and is being delivered to Samsung devices supporting Android 11 (with the feature being added as part of the Android update).

We will be working with other manufacturers to bring the feature to additional devices where support is available as we proceed through the year.”

So we are both partially correctI. My phone is too old. A Sumsung A3 (2017) all available updates installed, but still running android 8.0.0

It was definitely not working for me 2 weeks ago.

Now on a new phone and ID Mobile. It looks as if changing network was unnecessary, but it has saved money. I have also found that switching between LTE and WiFi calling if vastly better, but again that is probably due to the new phone rather than network.

Sounds like you shifted nets at about the time Vodafone were finally enabling SMS over WFC. In any event your previous Samsung A3 wouldn’t have supported it, so you would have had to upgrade handset even if you did stay with them.

Personally not having SMS over WiFi was never really a deal breaker here as Sure Signals bridged that. To that point there is WiFi cover here wherever there is Sure Signal cover (and well beyond internally and externally).

The other important factor was that our handsets have supported WFC natively for several years and we’re all running the latest iOS version anyway.

So in reality we never really noticed any difference (enablement of SMS over WiFi) even as the last Sure Signal simply stopped operating last month.

I guess you could say that was a seamless transition!!

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 28-Mar-21 10:09:45
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Around Summer '93 on 0802 and UK coverage was almost non-existent, but I was spending time every week in Europe - Paris, Frankfurt, Hamburg and more. It was December when the service "went live" in the UK.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User professor973
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Mar-21 15:58:58
Print Post

[re: Robbob9] [link to this post]

You can get a free Skype number and that can be used to receive texts into Skype.
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34884/how-do-i-re...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sun 28-Mar-21 18:03:10
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by professor973:
You can get a free Skype number and that can be used to receive texts into Skype.
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34884/how-do-i-re...

It’s been a few years since I had a Skype number, so not current, but your link above
says:

“ Currently, only US Skype Numbers can receive SMS messages*.

* Note: You can receive SMS messages on your US Skype Number from US and Canadian mobile numbers. However, SMS messages sent from services such as identity verification are not supported on US Skype Numbers.“

Have they enabled it for UK Skype numbers now? Also for 2-factor authentication services as that’s what the OP was asking in relation to?

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Mon 29-Mar-21 11:38:53
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
It is a Nokia SS2GEI https://www.nokia.com/networks/products/femtocell-mu...

Voda used Alcatel-Lucent for theirs. The second generation of which were notorious for heat related premature death. At one point I had four re-man spares (covering two live units) in the cupboard.

My Broadband Speed Test
(knowledge is power) Mon 29-Mar-21 17:01:39
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

Not a problem as you can choose a number from the US if you choose.
https://secure.skype.com/en/skype-number?intsrc=clie...

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Mon 29-Mar-21 19:06:45
Print Post

..."However, SMS messages sent from services such as identity verification are not supported on US Skype Numbers.“

Kind of defeats the purpose of the exercise, even if the OP was happy to send and receive SMS on a +1 based number (at roughly 65p a go sending from a UK network) 😎

My Broadband Speed Test
(knowledge is power) Tue 30-Mar-21 00:59:36
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

Well, there are plenty of options out there. personally, I find Sipgate does everything most folks could need including cheap calls

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Thu 01-Apr-21 19:11:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by professor973:
Well, there are plenty of options out there. personally, I find Sipgate does everything most folks could need including cheap calls

Sipgate are indeed decent and provide a solid service - however in the case of SMS receipt they have nothing whatsoever to offer I'm afraid.

The only viable options really are WiFi Calling with SMS support on a compatible mobile net and handset or a femtocell (Sure Signal et al) but the latter are being withdrawn.

So no, not really plenty of options in this particular instance really.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Wed 07-Apr-21 15:49:24
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Vodafone PR (lagging behind reality just a few months) send an email this morning, announcing that texts over WiFi is now possible! Hooray, well yeah thanks for that guys.

Well I guess its a change from announcing something that doesn't quite exist yet 😂

https://postimg.cc/rzG0NRmj

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to