Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 07-Apr-21 16:45:19
Print Post

Re: SMS TEXT MESSAGES

[re: Robbob9] [link to this post]

AMEX have introduced the sending of validation texts - that is fine. However, after, what I believe is, the second, you get the opportunity to confirm the device you are logging in from as being a regular device. If you do, more texts are unlikely - so now my PC and phone are recognised and will not require the validation text.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Robbob9
(newbie) Wed 07-Apr-21 18:00:54
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I think you are right MHC, but other sites like Amazon require a new One Time Pin (OTP) each time I log in. Moving wider, - a VPN also causes havoc as you become an unrecognised entity each time you log in. The number of times I have to prove that I am not a robot by clicking on '3 objects becomes waring..
Standard User Davey_H
(regular) Wed 07-Apr-21 18:14:59
Print Post

[re: Robbob9] [link to this post]

With Amazon and the like you have the option to use an Authenticator app like Authy or Google Authenticator to provide the one time code and there's also a check box when you enter it with the option to remember the device for 30 days so you don't have to enter OTPs every time you login.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Apr-21 19:32:26
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
Vodafone PR (lagging behind reality just a few months) send an email this morning, announcing that texts over WiFi is now possible! Hooray, well yeah thanks for that guys.
I got that email last Sat, and a friend of mine a week before. I suspect they don't want to break their email system smile
Well I guess its a change from announcing something that doesn't quite exist yet 😂
LOL!

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Wed 07-Apr-21 19:32:41)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Apr-21 19:34:02
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
If you do, more texts are unlikely - so now my PC and phone are recognised and will not require the validation text.
Until you clear cookies, or upgrade browser.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Apr-21 19:34:42
Print Post

[re: Davey_H] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Davey_H:
With Amazon and the like you have the option to use an Authenticator app like Authy or Google Authenticator to provide the one time code and there's also a check box when you enter it with the option to remember the device for 30 days so you don't have to enter OTPs every time you login.
Second vote for Authy and other TOTP tools. Authy has a useful backup feature if you break or upgrade your phone!

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Wed 07-Apr-21 21:01:55
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
I got that email last Sat, and a friend of mine a week before. I suspect they don't want to break their email system smile

I thought it was their billing system that was broken! Still trying to resolve a “parent” and “child” account fiasco that has been going on for the last four monthly billing cycles. They keep promising it’s fixed. But it isn’t. Hopeless.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Pheasant (Wed 07-Apr-21 21:02:54)

Standard User Robbob9
(newbie) Thu 08-Apr-21 09:59:14
Print Post

[re: Davey_H] [link to this post]

Thanks, I will take a look at Authenticator/Authy. I do use the check box on Amazon but I still have to request an OTP each time, it may be because I use a VPN. Thinking about it, because I mostly use my PC, an email containing the OTP code would be the ideal answer.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to