Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Robbob9
(newbie) Fri 26-Mar-21 22:25:47
Print Post

SMS TEXT MESSAGES

[link to this post]

Often Banks, Amazon etc insist on sending a security code by SMS in order to log into their accounts. This is a problem for anyone like myself who can not get a mobile phone signal. In a couple of months FTTP is being connected to our rural location. I may be wrong, but I understand that text messages can not be sent by VOIP? If this is the case, does anyone know if this will be technically possible in the future as I fear that this security measure will become a regular occurrence in the future.

Thanks,

Robert
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 26-Mar-21 22:58:20
Print Post

Re: SMS TEXT MESSAGES

[re: Robbob9] [link to this post]

You could use Wifi calling. For this you need a mobile phone which can do this and an account with one of the network operators or maybe iD Mobile.

AIUI Andrews and Arnold allow you to have a pseudo mobile number which can receive text messages and forward them by email.

The Inland Revenue will ring a VOIP number and speak the code.

For banks you can possibly use a card and a card reader that provides a code.

Receiving text messages sometimes works when there is not enough signal for a phone call.

Michael Chare
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 26-Mar-21 23:44:33
Print Post

Do you have a mobile with O2 ? If so, they have a Femtocell offering and will either sell you one or even give you one free - that connect to your broadband and provides a local cell for a few defined users.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sat 27-Mar-21 05:25:35
Print Post

What mobile network are you with and what handsets do you use?

WiFI calling is definitely great but isn’t yet totally universal among providers and all phone plans. These days if the phone and network support WiFi Cslling they generally also support SMS over it too.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Mar-21 08:40:26
Print Post

Another vote for wifi-calling.

I use an iPhone with EE .... and it works a treat.

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sat 27-Mar-21 08:53:07
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Do you have a mobile with O2 ? If so, they have a Femtocell offering and will either sell you one or even give you one free - that connect to your broadband and provides a local cell for a few defined users.

I’ve used the Vodafone equivalent for over a decade. They have been a mixed blessing due to their (somewhat infamous) unreliability.

Vodafone have now announced they are retiring Sure Signal service to in its entirety this year in the wake of WiFI Calling. To be expected really.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/network/calling-features/...

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Robbob9
(newbie) Sat 27-Mar-21 09:52:16
Print Post

I am with 02 but on enquiring , 02 have said that their Boostbox (femitocell) is for business customers only. It would of been an ideal solution so thank you MHC for the suggestion.

Robert
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Mar-21 10:15:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by Robbob9:
Often Banks, Amazon etc insist on sending a security code by SMS in order to log into their accounts. This is a problem for anyone like myself who can not get a mobile phone signal. In a couple of months FTTP is being connected to our rural location. I may be wrong, but I understand that text messages can not be sent by VOIP? If this is the case, does anyone know if this will be technically possible in the future as I fear that this security measure will become a regular occurrence in the future.

Thanks,

Robert
Do you have a smart phone? I'd expect your bank to have a banking app which won't need SMS and is more secure.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sat 27-Mar-21 10:19:01)

Standard User Robbob9
(newbie) Sat 27-Mar-21 10:47:40
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Yes Andrue, a Xiaomi MIX 3.
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sat 27-Mar-21 11:20:27
Print Post

Yes Andrue, a Xiaomi MIX 3.

It's compatible with WiFi Calling on O2...looks like you need to enable it on your O2 account beforehand and then change the setting on the phone to activate it:

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-coverage-and-inter...

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Pheasant (Sat 27-Mar-21 11:25:07)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Mar-21 11:27:19
Print Post

Do you have a mobile with O2 ? If so, they have a Femtocell offering and will either sell you one or even give you one free
I believe ALL the networks are following Vodafone in no longer issuing Femtocells (aka "Sure Signal" on vodafone). My guess is that there is upcoming shut down of 3G on the macro network, and at this point all active Femto's will have to shut down.

WiFi calling is the future, and on PAYG the Three network offers this, on contract they all offer. Some android phones have issues, but iPhones since the 5s work fine.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Mar-21 11:29:50
Print Post

I am with 02 but on enquiring , 02 have said that their Boostbox (femitocell) is for business customers only. It would of been an ideal solution so thank you MHC for the suggestion.
Not a surprise as the industry is pushing hard now to get rid of them from homes. Business systems are a lot more complex for covering office blocks, and as such these will be upgraded to 4G with 4G calling.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 27-Mar-21 13:46:10
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I knew about Vodafone but I have just had a new cell from O2 which has 4g capability, so there may be some life left.

M H C

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Mar-21 16:56:49
Print Post

If they’re issuing 4G femto’s that is surprising but anything is possible !

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 27-Mar-21 17:38:58
Print Post

It is a Nokia SS2GEI https://www.nokia.com/networks/products/femtocell-mu...

M H C

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Mar-21 17:51:12
Print Post

It is a Nokia SS2GEI
Is that on a business or consumer contract by any chance?

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 27-Mar-21 17:53:52
Print Post

Business

M H C

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Mar-21 17:54:52
Print Post

Business
Thanks, I think consumer deployment of femtos is ending, pushing home users to WiFi calling. Business allows for larger scale investment.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 27-Mar-21 18:00:55
Print Post

A pity as it does help those in some locations where coverage is awful ... and choosing a good location for the cell would often give coverage where WiFi failed.

In my case, we just happen to be in a small black spot - O2 is patchy and VF non-existent. I can actually see about 10 different antenna sets too - and speaking with O2 in detail, it seems that their antenna look angles take the signal over us to get coverage to a large estate where a mast is impossible.

M H C

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Mar-21 18:05:15
Print Post

In my case, we just happen to be in a small black spot - O2 is patchy and VF non-existent. I can actually see about 10 different antenna sets too - and speaking with O2 in detail, it seems that their antenna look angles take the signal over us to get coverage to a large estate where a mast is impossible.

My employer (building now closed) used to have a GSM solution in the roof with O2, but it was never upgraded for UMTS/WCDMA, and then we switched to Vodafone and it was turned off.

I know of what you speak, as I'm pretty much next door to an EE mast, if I walk down the road I get faster speeds than indoors.

O2 here is a joke, 6 Mbps on last test, but we are in a Vodafone controlled zone, so only 10 MHz of Band 20 has been deployed. Unlike Vodafone whom have 10 MHz of Band 20, plus 10 MHz of Band 1 in residential areas, and more in shopping centre. EE trounces both of them with 40 MHz of spectrum and speeds of 150 Mbps or more.

Shame that you're in a black spot, but for corporates in-building solutions are good ideas and often managed by the operator. However femto's for home users are a pain, most networks hate them and have wanted to get rid of for years due to the pain of managing interference with the macro network.

With modern build homes and flats having metallic insulation blocking all the licensed frequency bands, WiFi calling is becoming essential.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 27-Mar-21 18:09:10
Print Post

Most of the phones associated with this one are personal! We have a small two person consultancy - facilities attached to and inside our house.

M H C

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Mar-21 18:17:06
Print Post

Most of the phones associated with this one are personal! We have a small two person consultancy - facilities attached to and inside our house.
Ha, that shows how the arbitary nature of business/consumer at the telcos. I wonder if you'd have had such assistance from any of the others.

Standard User TimJ
(committed) Sat 27-Mar-21 18:44:50
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

It's compatible with WiFi Calling on O2...looks like you need to enable it on your O2 account beforehand and then change the setting on the phone to activate it:

Be warned not all networks currently support SMS while on WiFi calling. I know Vodafone does not. I was forever switching WiGi calling on/off for this reason. I have now moved to ID Mobile.

I have just found this This and both Vodafone and O2 will be adding this.
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sat 27-Mar-21 18:58:17
Print Post

[re: TimJ] [link to this post]

Vodafone 100% support SMS on WiFi Calling.

I just forced it now to prove it works. They didn’t used to but they definitely do now.

Is your phone up to date? What are you running?

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Pheasant (Sat 27-Mar-21 19:03:56)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 27-Mar-21 19:04:04
Print Post

Always been open with them and I was Cellnet's 11th non-internal GSM customer, and my boss was 10th. At the start they issued number in a strict order 08xx nnnn11 and I have had that number ever since, through three companies before my own.

The attitude at O2 comes from the customer first principles that BT instilled when they were part of BT and it still remains. I do see EE moving that way too.

We had an issue with bad coverage and given the size of some of my mobile bills over the years - I hit £1500 in one month around '99 they were happy to provide the cell even with low bills these days,

M H C

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Mar-21 19:43:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
only a couple of months. Was new in jan 21. O2 still don’t but plan to.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Mar-21 19:48:57
Print Post

Always been open with them and I was Cellnet's 11th non-internal GSM customer, and my boss was 10th. At the start they issued number in a strict order 08xx nnnn11 and I have had that number ever since, through three companies before my own.
Brilliant. I’ve been with EE (formerly Orange) since Nov 94, and from my old account number I was probably customer 1400 or so.

The attitude at O2 comes from the customer first principles that BT instilled when they were part of BT and it still remains. I do see EE moving that way too.
Yes, but my friends and I call our mobile operator helpdesk once every 10 years or so. I’m more concerned that O2 has only 2x10 MHz deployed on all the masts in Hampshire that I’ve so far checked. This makes them the weakest network for data, and given lots of “calls” are now over data services rather than the legacy PSTN, it shows a massive lack of investment by Telefonica.

Sadly I have to advise my friends to avoid O2 (and their MVNO’s) due to the lack of capacity. They have the ability to improve as seen in the east of England, but here on the west side things are awful. I have to assume Vodafone has the same problem in reverse.

2x10MHz of LTE for 28million users, contrast with EE whom have deployed around 2x40 Mhz for 22 million users. It doesn’t add up.

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sat 27-Mar-21 20:04:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
only a couple of months. Was new in jan 21. O2 still don’t but plan to.

And mysteriously my last remaining Sure Signal stopped working last month. But I never received any comms about it. Oh well at least there hasn’t been a “gap” with SMS.

No doubt similar logic as to why O2 haven’t fully retired their femto’s either for poor net coverage customers.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User TimJ
(committed) Sat 27-Mar-21 20:05:59
Print Post

A Spokesperson for Vodafone told ISPreview.co.uk:

“I can confirm, we do now support SMS over Wi-Fi. Since December, it has been enabled on Apple devices supporting iOS 14 (iPhone 6S and above), on Google Pixel 3 (and above), and is being delivered to Samsung devices supporting Android 11 (with the feature being added as part of the Android update).

We will be working with other manufacturers to bring the feature to additional devices where support is available as we proceed through the year.”

So we are both partially correctI. My phone is too old. A Sumsung A3 (2017) all available updates installed, but still running android 8.0.0

It was definitely not working for me 2 weeks ago.

Now on a new phone and ID Mobile. It looks as if changing network was unnecessary, but it has saved money. I have also found that switching between LTE and WiFi calling if vastly better, but again that is probably due to the new phone rather than network.
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Sat 27-Mar-21 21:59:28
Print Post

We had an issue with bad coverage and given the size of some of my mobile bills over the years - I hit £1500 in one month around '99 they were happy to provide the cell even with low bills these days,

We’re you on an 850 or 860 number? If you had a number from the start the chances are you were a customer on the “Jupiter” system (if memory doesn’t fail me these were 850) unless you got the contract from Martin Dawes then you’d have been a Lumina customer on the “DISE” system (with 860). Regardless of what you were back then you'll likely be on the DISE system now if you have multiple accounts.

If you were on Jupiter then most likely any good experiences you had (from a customer services perspective) from the midish 90's onwards (but certainly from 2000+) were likely a result of Ventura rather than BT as they ran a lot of that side of the business for cellnet/BTcellnet. They also ran a lot of DISE but from the late 90’s.

Ventura also ran the service provider that most consumers with cellnet phones would be put on to (called - call connections ltd). The system they used was called Liberty and had Securicor, Barclaycard, the link, phones4u, carphone warehouse etc on.

I remember the "big number change over", there were a lot of stubborn people who wouldn't change - one of my first working exeperiences was dealing with these people and negotiating the switch.

Edited by gary333 (Sat 27-Mar-21 22:50:32)

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sun 28-Mar-21 08:17:00
Print Post

[re: TimJ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TimJ:
A Spokesperson for Vodafone told ISPreview.co.uk:

“I can confirm, we do now support SMS over Wi-Fi. Since December, it has been enabled on Apple devices supporting iOS 14 (iPhone 6S and above), on Google Pixel 3 (and above), and is being delivered to Samsung devices supporting Android 11 (with the feature being added as part of the Android update).

We will be working with other manufacturers to bring the feature to additional devices where support is available as we proceed through the year.”

So we are both partially correctI. My phone is too old. A Sumsung A3 (2017) all available updates installed, but still running android 8.0.0

It was definitely not working for me 2 weeks ago.

Now on a new phone and ID Mobile. It looks as if changing network was unnecessary, but it has saved money. I have also found that switching between LTE and WiFi calling if vastly better, but again that is probably due to the new phone rather than network.

Sounds like you shifted nets at about the time Vodafone were finally enabling SMS over WFC. In any event your previous Samsung A3 wouldn’t have supported it, so you would have had to upgrade handset even if you did stay with them.

Personally not having SMS over WiFi was never really a deal breaker here as Sure Signals bridged that. To that point there is WiFi cover here wherever there is Sure Signal cover (and well beyond internally and externally).

The other important factor was that our handsets have supported WFC natively for several years and we’re all running the latest iOS version anyway.

So in reality we never really noticed any difference (enablement of SMS over WiFi) even as the last Sure Signal simply stopped operating last month.

I guess you could say that was a seamless transition!!

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 28-Mar-21 10:09:45
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Around Summer '93 on 0802 and UK coverage was almost non-existent, but I was spending time every week in Europe - Paris, Frankfurt, Hamburg and more. It was December when the service "went live" in the UK.

M H C

Standard User professor973
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Mar-21 15:58:58
Print Post

You can get a free Skype number and that can be used to receive texts into Skype.
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34884/how-do-i-re...

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sun 28-Mar-21 18:03:10
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by professor973:
You can get a free Skype number and that can be used to receive texts into Skype.
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34884/how-do-i-re...

It’s been a few years since I had a Skype number, so not current, but your link above
says:

“ Currently, only US Skype Numbers can receive SMS messages*.

* Note: You can receive SMS messages on your US Skype Number from US and Canadian mobile numbers. However, SMS messages sent from services such as identity verification are not supported on US Skype Numbers.“

Have they enabled it for UK Skype numbers now? Also for 2-factor authentication services as that’s what the OP was asking in relation to?

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Mon 29-Mar-21 11:38:53
Print Post

It is a Nokia SS2GEI https://www.nokia.com/networks/products/femtocell-mu...

Voda used Alcatel-Lucent for theirs. The second generation of which were notorious for heat related premature death. At one point I had four re-man spares (covering two live units) in the cupboard.

My Broadband Speed Test
(knowledge is power) Mon 29-Mar-21 17:01:39
Print Post

Not a problem as you can choose a number from the US if you choose.
https://secure.skype.com/en/skype-number?intsrc=clie...

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Mon 29-Mar-21 19:06:45
Print Post

..."However, SMS messages sent from services such as identity verification are not supported on US Skype Numbers.“

Kind of defeats the purpose of the exercise, even if the OP was happy to send and receive SMS on a +1 based number (at roughly 65p a go sending from a UK network) 😎

My Broadband Speed Test
(knowledge is power) Tue 30-Mar-21 00:59:36
Print Post

Well, there are plenty of options out there. personally, I find Sipgate does everything most folks could need including cheap calls

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Thu 01-Apr-21 19:11:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by professor973:
Well, there are plenty of options out there. personally, I find Sipgate does everything most folks could need including cheap calls

Sipgate are indeed decent and provide a solid service - however in the case of SMS receipt they have nothing whatsoever to offer I'm afraid.

The only viable options really are WiFi Calling with SMS support on a compatible mobile net and handset or a femtocell (Sure Signal et al) but the latter are being withdrawn.

So no, not really plenty of options in this particular instance really.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Wed 07-Apr-21 15:49:24
Print Post

Vodafone PR (lagging behind reality just a few months) send an email this morning, announcing that texts over WiFi is now possible! Hooray, well yeah thanks for that guys.

Well I guess its a change from announcing something that doesn't quite exist yet 😂

https://postimg.cc/rzG0NRmj

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 07-Apr-21 16:45:19
Print Post

AMEX have introduced the sending of validation texts - that is fine. However, after, what I believe is, the second, you get the opportunity to confirm the device you are logging in from as being a regular device. If you do, more texts are unlikely - so now my PC and phone are recognised and will not require the validation text.

M H C

Standard User Robbob9
(newbie) Wed 07-Apr-21 18:00:54
Print Post

I think you are right MHC, but other sites like Amazon require a new One Time Pin (OTP) each time I log in. Moving wider, - a VPN also causes havoc as you become an unrecognised entity each time you log in. The number of times I have to prove that I am not a robot by clicking on '3 objects becomes waring..
Standard User Davey_H
(regular) Wed 07-Apr-21 18:14:59
Print Post

With Amazon and the like you have the option to use an Authenticator app like Authy or Google Authenticator to provide the one time code and there's also a check box when you enter it with the option to remember the device for 30 days so you don't have to enter OTPs every time you login.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Apr-21 19:32:26
Print Post

Vodafone PR (lagging behind reality just a few months) send an email this morning, announcing that texts over WiFi is now possible! Hooray, well yeah thanks for that guys.
I got that email last Sat, and a friend of mine a week before. I suspect they don't want to break their email system smile
Well I guess its a change from announcing something that doesn't quite exist yet 😂
LOL!

Edited by jchamier (Wed 07-Apr-21 19:32:41)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Apr-21 19:34:02
Print Post

If you do, more texts are unlikely - so now my PC and phone are recognised and will not require the validation text.
Until you clear cookies, or upgrade browser.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Apr-21 19:34:42
Print Post

[re: Davey_H] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Davey_H:
With Amazon and the like you have the option to use an Authenticator app like Authy or Google Authenticator to provide the one time code and there's also a check box when you enter it with the option to remember the device for 30 days so you don't have to enter OTPs every time you login.
Second vote for Authy and other TOTP tools. Authy has a useful backup feature if you break or upgrade your phone!

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Wed 07-Apr-21 21:01:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
I got that email last Sat, and a friend of mine a week before. I suspect they don't want to break their email system smile

I thought it was their billing system that was broken! Still trying to resolve a “parent” and “child” account fiasco that has been going on for the last four monthly billing cycles. They keep promising it’s fixed. But it isn’t. Hopeless.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Pheasant (Wed 07-Apr-21 21:02:54)

Standard User Robbob9
(newbie) Thu 08-Apr-21 09:59:14
Print Post

[re: Davey_H] [link to this post]

Thanks, I will take a look at Authenticator/Authy. I do use the check box on Amazon but I still have to request an OTP each time, it may be because I use a VPN. Thinking about it, because I mostly use my PC, an email containing the OTP code would be the ideal answer.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to