Technical Discussion
  >> Web Design / HTML / Web hosting Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RogerE
(committed) Wed 07-Aug-19 14:35:34
Print Post

How to prevent sub domain being found

[link to this post]

Sorry about title, not sure how to describe this.

A small charity I have done work for (Static Website) has a domain which is working fine.

I have created a HTML/PHP/MySQL admin system that has been running on a local PC (using WAMP server).

Now they want to have it hosted as a subdomain of their website so it can be reached by the admin people from home. Their hosting company allows this.

I have concerns about how to prevent the admin system pages being "found" by web crawlers, spiders etc.

The system has a login system with hashed passwords, and all of the pages check to ensure they arrived via the login, but other than that is there anything else I can do to protect them ?

Thanks
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Aug-19 02:50:15
Print Post

Re: How to prevent sub domain being found

[re: RogerE] [link to this post]

A lot depends on how much administrative control you have over the hosting server.

The sort of things you can do to make things more secure include;

• Ensure server uses https with TLS v1.2 or newer
  • Use multi factor authentication - you can have a look at TOTP/HOTP with hardware tokens, Yubikey and authenticator apps, Duo (free up to ten users)
  • Restrict access to the subdomain to VPN users and set each user with VPN access
  • Run intrusion detection/prevention software (such as fail2ban)
  • If you have a fixed server IP address for the subdomain, don't publish a DNS entry for the subdomain but get remote users wanting access to add the subdomain's IP address to their computer's hosts file
  • Do client certificate authentication for the subdomain's https server and send client certificates to each admin user
  • Also monitor logs for suspicious activity (e.g. repeated failed logins or trying to run scripts which aren't present). If there are repeated attempts from specific IP addresses or ranges, block those.
  • Make sure all software on the server is patched and fully up to date.
Of these, the only one I haven't actually used yet is client certificate authentication but all other recommendations I do as standard.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User RogerE
(committed) Wed 21-Aug-19 17:26:23
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reponse - will be talking to the ISP about your ideas.

Sorry for delay in replying - have been having laptop problems.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 22-Aug-19 04:22:17
Print Post

[re: RogerE] [link to this post]

Two methods

1)

Configure a specific .htaccess file for the sub domain to only allow specified IPs and/or a specified small IP range. Here's an old example of two .htaccess rules:

<Limit GET HEAD>
order allow,deny
allow from all
deny from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xx
</Limit>

That's basically saying allow anyone to read, except for specified IP or IP range/mask. I wouldn't throw lots of them in here, but it might be handy if you constantly get some crawling site coming at your database. This presumes that your database should be read by all via the top domain. Not 100% certain this example is necessary, as I haven't done a DB on a sub-domain.

Example 2:

<Limit POST PUT DELETE OPTIONS CONNECT TRACK DEBUG>
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
</Limit>

That basically prevents all, but specified IPs from having anything but read-only access.

Locate the .htaccess file in the sub-domain's top folder.

Method 2)

IP Tables

Old example:

*filter
:INPUT DROP [0:0]
:FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
-A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
-I INPUT 4 -p tcp --dport 80 -m string --string "w00tw00t" --algo bm -j DROP
-A INPUT -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -m comment --comment "Allow SSH from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -s 0.0.0.0/0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -m comment --comment "Allow HTTP from anywhere" -j ACCEPT 
-A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT 
-A INPUT -p icmp -m icmp --icmp-type 8 -j ACCEPT 
COMMIT

I'm very rusty on this, and it's maybe not the best option. The syntax gets a little confusing.

What I do suggest is that you pick two guinea pig users to test this on, so you can establish if one is blocked and one allowed, but don't add your own IP to the blocking end of things. Block a user, and allow all others to start with. You don't want to lock yourself out. wink

Personally, I'd use method 1, and have something like:
<Limit POST PUT>
	Order Deny,Allow
	Deny from all
	Allow from [top domain IP if different]
	Allow from [remote IP 1]
	Allow from [remote IP 2]
	Allow from [remote IP 3]
	Allow from [remote IP etc.]
	Allow from [remote IP range etc.]
	Allow from 127.0.0.1
	Allow from ::1 (ipv6 version of 127.0.0.1)
</Limit>

I played about with my server's foibles, and ended up with a more robuest version of the LIMIT range:

<Limit POST PUT DELETE OPTIONS CONNECT TRACK DEBUG>

It was probably overkill, but meh, why not. If you're unsure of IP ranges or masks, there's plenty of stuff out there, if you search. Also appreciate that the allow/deny order is very important. If you allow/deny, that's a blacklist setup, while if you deny/allow that's a whitelist setup (preferred in this scenario).
  Print Thread

Jump to