General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Skilty
(committed) Wed 06-Mar-19 13:23:11
Print Post

Time for a new ISP?

[link to this post]

So Sky are raising their Sky Fibre Max prices which gives me a get out of jail free card as I can leave (contract ends in May anyway). I might get a new deal, I might not, there is nothing wrong with the service other than I have to double NAT because I have Google Wifi points around the house and Sky use option 61 which Google does not support.

Was looking at my old provider (Pulse8) or TTB, Pulse8 resell TTB anyway so thought it would cut out the middle man so to speak. Only downside with TTB being the 2 year contract.

Wife and I work from home everyday so internet is pretty important for us. Fair bit of Netflix, Youtube and so on.

Any thoughts on other providers? Don't really wan't to go above the £50 per month mark.

Cheers!

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL > Sky Fibre Max - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 61.2/18.8Mbps - BQM
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 07-Mar-19 16:45:25
Print Post

Re: Time for a new ISP?

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

Happy with IDNet on a BTw backhaul. £48 pm or £528 if you want to pay a year in advance. 30 day rolling contract, whichever payment option you take.

The BTw backhaul works better on my line than TTB backhaul did with both Pulse8 and IDNet and much better than Zen backhaul with IDNet.

The good thing with IDNet is that they do have a choice of backhaul providers and are willing to move you around should there be any issues.
Standard User Alucidnation
(regular) Fri 08-Mar-19 08:14:10
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

Sorry for the hijack, but im going to give idnet a call this morning to see what they can offer.

smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Mar-19 08:56:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by Skilty:
I have to double NAT because I have Google Wifi points around the house and Sky use option 61 which Google does not support.

Use a TP Link router/APs to get around this as TP Link kit normally has DHCP option 60/61 hard coded into its settings, provided you use 'Sky VDSL MER' as the ISP.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User Skilty
(committed) Tue 19-Mar-19 17:01:17
Print Post

Only downside is the £90 for a move from LLU. I think I have limited to to AAISP on their 2TB home package or IDNet. Checking our monthly usage and we don't go above 1.2-1.3TB ever.

Any thoughts on the pluses and minuses on both of the above?

I am sure Sky will give me a new deal but I have seen my ping drop in the last 14 months and my speed drop by 10mb from when I first joined them. Am I right in thinking that Sky set the noise margin to a minimum of 6db to ensure stability etc?

My line used to get 68-69mb back in the day smile

Cheers

Skilty

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL > Sky Fibre Max - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 61.2/18.8Mbps - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Mar-19 17:41:55
Print Post

What £90 for a move from LLU?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Skilty
(committed) Tue 19-Mar-19 20:16:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
What £90 for a move from LLU?

According to this page, unless I am reading it wrong.

IDNet Home Prices

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Mar-19 21:30:21
Print Post

Ah one specific to IDNet

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User NJSS
(member) Wed 20-Mar-19 08:30:17
Print Post

No experience of IDNet.

However, like many others here, AAISP have proved to be excellent in every respect.

NJSS

Standard User Skilty
(committed) Fri 22-Mar-19 11:26:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by jaydub:
Happy with IDNet on a BTw backhaul. £48 pm or £528 if you want to pay a year in advance. 30 day rolling contract, whichever payment option you take.

The BTw backhaul works better on my line than TTB backhaul did with both Pulse8 and IDNet and much better than Zen backhaul with IDNet.

The good thing with IDNet is that they do have a choice of backhaul providers and are willing to move you around should there be any issues.

Placed the order with IDNet this morning. For the cost of a couple of coffees per month it was worth it and the guy I spoke to on the phone was very helpful and knowledgeable which swung it for me.

One month contract anyway so if it isn't working out will jump across to AAISP...

Will let you know how it goes smile

Print Thread

Jump to