General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Rainmanne
(newbie) Thu 30-May-19 10:59:47
Print Post

Temporary broadband

[link to this post]

I'm looking for broadband for a few months. I looked at 2 moth contracts and they are quite expensive given the upfront setup charge. Mobile broadband won't work for us as we use around 150Gb a month. I wonder if there are ISPs, where the early termination charge is not too high on a 12-month contract. Any ideas?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 30-May-19 12:28:25
Print Post

Re: Temporary broadband

[re: Rainmanne] [link to this post]

Three has truly unlimited everything for phones at £20pm (tethering and hotspot use allowed) and unlimited data MiFi router+SIM for £22pm. I have both!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. BQM
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 30-May-19 12:30:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

But no mobile broadband is good for gaming because of very variable latency.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. BQM
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Rainmanne
(newbie) Thu 30-May-19 12:36:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks a lot for that! Is it good for Netflix/YouTube etc?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 30-May-19 12:57:10
Print Post

I've tested it for 15 minutes on Netflix to a non-smart TV using Chromecast from a "non-mobile" iPad getting its signal from either of my Three links and it was OK. But you need to have a decent 4G signal of course. YouTube clips that people and other sites link to all run OK wireless for me on my laptop.

You can test Three signal strength and even a few minutes streaming by getting a £1 3-2-1 SIM from a papershop and sticking £5 (or £10) on it before you decide if it will work well enough for you. Those give you 1p per MB.

Also of course, where you have the phone or HomeFi router in the house can make a big difference to the incoming signal.

I was OK with just the phone as long as I had it on regular battery charging, but of course that meant/means the house hasn't got broadband when I'm out, so when I got a security camera uploading 24/7 to the cloud (3GB per day) I got the HomeFi.

There are a lot of people using the Three stuff in this forum, where of you set it to show you the last 6 months you'll find quite a long thread of mine that started the rush! smile

You can ask people there as well, I suggest?

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 30-May-19 12:58:33)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 30-May-19 13:07:33
Print Post

In the days when EE did 100GB for £10 SIM offer, ran the Xbox and streaming to main TV over that link and while gaming did take a latency hit things still played fine - pro gamer (or aspiring ones) would moan but casual gaming should be fine if the 4G is good. Used a Kindle with built in SIM card as the modem/router.

Streaming TV should be fine too

Firms like IDNet and Pulse8 do FTTC on short monthly contracts - just that you pay setup fees up front. So if the latency is important that is a path.

In short a balancing act between costs of short term FTTC and mobile and unlimited allowances and mobile usage allowances and your use cases.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gary333
(regular) Thu 30-May-19 13:29:47
Print Post

It's £60 extra to have "no contract" on Now Broadband. Virgin Media also do something similar.
Standard User wowitsme
(learned) Thu 30-May-19 13:32:20
Print Post

Try idnet for 1 month contract .. then 30 days notice if u wish to leave after it.

https://www.idnet.net/data_products/super-fast-broad...

Also check some reviews https://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/top10.php & https://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/isp/idnet/?catego...

Hope this helps wink

Edited by wowitsme (Thu 30-May-19 13:40:39)

Print Thread

Jump to