General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wolvesmad
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Oct-19 10:07:07
Print Post

30 day ISP

[link to this post]

Hi,

My BT 55/10 broadband contract is due for expiry soon and as I may be moving to a Virgin Media cabled street soon, I don''t particularly want to lock myself in with a Openreach based ISP for 18 months.

I'm looking for a 76/20 ISP with a low minimum term or one that will allow me to leave without ridiculous penalties.

My exchange is WNDAW.

-

BT Fibre Unlimited 55|10Mb
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 10-Oct-19 10:26:13
Print Post

Re: 30 day ISP

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

It may be cheapest just to stay with BT. It is difficult to get short term contracts for VDSL especially the 80/20 contract. Usually you have to pay a large up front fee for no contract or you pay quite high monthly fees.
Standard User wolvesmad
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Oct-19 11:02:27
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

BT want £54.99 on month 19 or re-contract for £34.99 a month on 76/20 for another 18 months.

Don't particularly want to lock in on BT for another 18 months.

-

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 10-Oct-19 11:06:27
Print Post

I basically agree with Ian, but another possibility is Pulse8Broadband.

Worth taking into the equation is what termination charges you might get from BT if you stay with them and simply cease the line and broadband when you move.

Pulse8 provides TalkTalk Business Wholesale connections.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 10-Oct-19 11:16:25)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 10-Oct-19 11:10:20
Print Post

You do not have to recontract with BT. You simply continue at the standard monthly rate, whatever that is.

The term “Contract” only applies to the minimum term. At the end of it you automatically go onto a standard monthly contract, but the prices may be higher. You would also have to check out call costs in that case.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 10-Oct-19 11:10:51)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 10-Oct-19 11:15:27
Print Post

What is “month 19”? Is that the standard out of minimum term price for what you have?

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 10-Oct-19 11:18:03
Print Post

I’ve just fixed the link in my first post, to go to the correct page.

Standard User wolvesmad
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Oct-19 11:25:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'm on a special rate of £29.99 for 18 months. On month 19 my bill will increase to £54.99 unless I re-contract.

-

Standard User wolvesmad
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Oct-19 11:34:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I like the look of Pulse8. Strangely enough they have Wellington down as my exchange for FTTC (which is about 3 miles away) but Dawley, my actual exchange for ADSL.

With Pulse8 are they at the mercy of any TalkTalk shaping like on TT retail? I have heard exchanges low on capacity TT throttle stuff like VOIP and Netflix etc.

-

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 10-Oct-19 11:40:59
Print Post

The FTTC can and quite often does come from a different exchange because it is more efficient for BT. Pulse8 services set their own options on TT and in all cases I can remember are not affected by TT shaping (TT put that on at the retail level rather than wholesale).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to