General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
ISP Representative aquiss
(isp) Mon 12-Apr-21 08:01:45
Print Post

Re: Zen or Uno or AAISP or Aquiss?

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ferretuk:
https://support.aquiss.net/en/knowledgebase/article/...

These have all been fixed. Thanks for the heads up.

I was, despite being a previous customer, put off by some of the very out of date articles published I'm afraid when I was looking to change providers.

That is a fair point and something I personally need to spend some time going through. It's no fault of any of my team as this is a job that falls into my personal job list. I'll start making some effort on this as focus has been on producing newer articles and not really reviewing older ones.

Martin Pitt
Company Founder
Aquiss Limited
https://www.aquiss.net

FTTC, FTTP, GEA, EFM, Leased Lines, Telecoms and Hosting
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
ISP Representative aquiss
(isp) Mon 12-Apr-21 08:04:41
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by uno:
Looks like you may have a caching issue as it still shows for me. smile

Matt

Sort of, the system allows multiple URLs to the same article. I changed the URL in the backend to a non public one (so I can keep the content just in case I ever need it again) but forgot in my haste that the old URL will still active.

Sunday schoolboy error.

Martin Pitt
Company Founder
Aquiss Limited
https://www.aquiss.net

FTTC, FTTP, GEA, EFM, Leased Lines, Telecoms and Hosting
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User pantone
(learned) Mon 12-Apr-21 16:24:23
Print Post

[re: Turnipfarmer] [link to this post]

Just to muddy the water a little. I've been with Aquiss and Martin since even before he was Aquiss. Over that time (decades) I have used his Internet connections of various flavours as he switched from one wholesaler to another. All were as fast as my local connection could give me. I have also introduced others to his service and have had good reports from them.

A few years ago I moved my broadband connection to Virgin as they offered much faster speed (50Mbps now 220Mbps). Aquiss has caught up now. I kept all my services with Martin as I can reach a known name to sort out any rare little technical glitches.

I am probably going to move to Zen's CityFibre 900Mbps symmetrical connection, just waiting for VOIP to be activated in my road. But I will still keep Aquiss as my ISP to host domain names, etc. The real pain will be trying to find who I have given the Virgin email address to before I do the move.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 13-Apr-21 00:15:15
Print Post

[re: pantone] [link to this post]

Given you have domain names, why the heck have you got a Virgin email address anyway?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.
Standard User pantone
(learned) Tue 13-Apr-21 08:48:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Given you have domain names, why the heck have you got a Virgin email address anyway?

As I said, I moved my connection to Virgin who AFAIK don't host domain names or they didn't when I joined them. While ISPs usually give you some web space, they don't give you much control over it and at the moment the speeds available are not fast despite the 'superfast' names given to them. Or the fees for faster speeds are outlandish.

If/when I move to Zen/CityFibre I shall get nearly five times faster than my 200Mbps for 20% less cost. I occasionally design books for photographers and we have to exchange huge amounts of data. The last book I did had over 500 images that totalled over 250GB. Plus all the unused images, possibly another 50GB.

The times I used the Virgin email address is largely when I was concerned about attracting spam or I wanted to keep my main email addresses separate from advertising and so on. Although since then, the Plesk control panel I get with Aquiss has an excellent spam filter, even so some gets through and I have my mail app to deal with the rest.

Also, in the past I used to test websites I built for clients and it was far easier to do it at Aquiss who also have a good selection of tools available if wanted. Usually I got the clients to host their websites at Aquiss once they approved the design.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 13-Apr-21 10:59:09
Print Post

That doesn't answer the question. Even if VM force you to have an address with them for login, which I wouldn't know, there is/was no need to use it for anything else.

I've never used an ISP's email services since leaving my first one and learning my lesson.

But it doesn't matter. You are where you are.

Edit: Typo

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 13-Apr-21 11:00:37)

Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Tue 13-Apr-21 13:13:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by pantone:
The times I used the Virgin email address is largely when I was concerned about attracting spam or I wanted to keep my main email addresses separate from advertising and so on.

Sorry for the intrusion, but that does beg the question about how many contacts that you wouldn't want to offend would be affected if you just let the Virgin address lapse? I expect it will remain live for a while after you leave and it may even be possible to set up an auto-forward so you don't need to monitor the address but will still receive any e-mails coming through until the account is closed down by Virgin which would give you the option to notify the sender of anything important that your e-mail address has changed.

Edited by GonePostal (Tue 13-Apr-21 13:14:58)

Standard User pantone
(learned) Tue 13-Apr-21 14:40:47
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

Sorry for the intrusion, but that does beg the question about how many contacts that you wouldn't want to offend would be affected if you just let the Virgin address lapse? I expect it will remain live for a while after you leave and it may even be possible to set up an auto-forward so you don't need to monitor the address but will still receive any e-mails coming through until the account is closed down by Virgin which would give you the option to notify the sender of anything important that your e-mail address has changed.

No intrusion. That's exactly what I intend to do and Virgin's address can go the way of all the other abandoned accounts I've had over the years.

I've been on-line since the last century and had fast (ha!) broadband from when BT introduced twin channel ISDN giving a speedy 0.5Mbps. That's why I moved to separate my connection from my ISP so that I could keep the services the same and chop and change the actual telecoms stuff to whoever gave me the best deal. Aquiss hosting is only £4 a month I think, for 100 email addresses, two domains, 5GB, blah blah blah.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Apr-21 16:07:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Even if VM force you to have an address with them for login, which I wouldn't know, there is/was no need to use it for anything else.
They don't. I've been with VM for just under 2 years, and I've not set up a VM email account. (I think I could have 10 addresses).

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to