General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 02-Jan-21 09:21:29
Print Post

Re: Which provider on OFNL

[re: Fastman3] [link to this post]

What are those?

Note this is an August 2020 thread and the poster you replied to hasn't posted since then (but does appear to be legit). I gave the re-opener the benefit of the doubt as it could well be genuine, and unimportant if it isn't.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Sat 02-Jan-21 09:55:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

What are those

Usually private estates or gated communities where the developer has struck a deal with an altnet, or already has a relationship with an altnet, that excludes all other networks. As they are private roads there is no legal right to install telecoms network without the landowners permission.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 02-Jan-21 10:23:01
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Thanks smile.

I've thought for a long time that such lockouts should be illegal. Or at least, legally required to be publicised very clearly on all initial sale documents, which might discourage such lockouts..

They can cost unwitting buyers thousands of pounds. Both while living there, and on resale where the question is (in my opinion) more likely to be asked.

In a way, it amounts to bribery of the builder by the broadband provider, to obtain a monopoly. As opposed to promoting competition.

Hmm, thinks. I wonder if anyone has ever notified the Monopolies Commission. Perhaps it is outside its remit. The fact it only affects a small number, (but at multiple locations), shouldn't be relevant.

Edit: (Semi-joking addition) Imagine telling people they can only own one specific make of car if they wish to live there! And only telling them after exchange of contract on the property.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 02-Jan-21 10:27:52)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fastman3
(member) Sat 02-Jan-21 15:24:37
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Gent

gated commmunities and private estates will normally have copper already) so are not lockout (as the already usually have copper)

New build with operators such as virgin only, or GTC or INF who have no copper are knows as lockout sites as Openreach is unlikley ever to provide service to that area

so you could not ever community fibre an lockout site as there would be no network)
Standard User Fastman3
(member) Sat 02-Jan-21 15:26:34
Print Post

robertos

its a big problem in a new development as that your choice for ever regardless
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Sat 02-Jan-21 16:28:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by Fastman3:
Gent

gated commmunities and private estates will normally have copper already) so are not lockout (as the already usually have copper)

New build with operators such as virgin only, or GTC or INF who have no copper are knows as lockout sites as Openreach is unlikley ever to provide service to that area

so you could not ever community fibre an lockout site as there would be no network)

Usually private estates or gated communities where the developer has struck a deal with an altnet, or already has a relationship with an altnet

I think that's pretty clear .
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 02-Jan-21 16:52:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by Fastman3:
robertos

its a big problem in a new development as that your choice for ever regardless
Ummm???

As witchunt pointed out, they were talking about new-build estates. That was the post I replied to,

Wrt respect to this reply of yours, you seem to ignored everything I posted except the fact that I posted. You simply reiterate my basic point.

However, a change in the law could remedy the problem, requiring other wholesalers to have access.

========================
Standard User Fastman3
(member) Sat 02-Jan-21 21:09:23
Print Post

robertos

sorry was not very clear on this - its becoming bigger problem for new build say 2 - 5 years old that does not have Openreach network as there is now very limited choice, all the sweeteners have gone and no chance ever of Openreach providing network in that estate

even if the law changed that would not be retrospective
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 04-Jan-21 13:41:08
Print Post

The law change I was suggesting would be to make the estate cabling available to other providers, at sensible prices. I accept there could be considerable technical challenges with that due to clashes between systems, but given research resources (magically appearing LOL) the problems should not be insoluble.

Possible only access to the ducting is what is needed?

I wasn't suggesting the digging up of roads, though on reflection that would probably be cheaper than solving the technical side, given the still comparatively low volume of such estates.

Competition policy gone wrong! frown

========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-Jan-21 15:56:16
Print Post

It is competition on the macro scale (ie national) that then has the effect of removing competition at the micro scale (individual).
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to