General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User recz
(newbie) Sat 09-Jan-21 23:37:25
Print Post

Best fibre provider - Barnes SW13

[link to this post]

Hi - I’ve just moved to Barnes in London and I’m trying to choose which ISP I should go with for my new place (main criteria is speed).

From looking at telecoms-tarrifs.co.uk, it looks like I connect into cabinet P58 which connects into the exchange in Mortlake. P58 has apparently had “FTTC Available from 4th November 2011” and out of all the postcodes that connect into P58, mine is amongst the closet to the exchange. However, while most of the other post codes is listed as “100% area up to 300mb”, my post code is “100% area up to *30*mb”.

My questions:
1) Why am I at 30mb when everyone else is at 300mb?
2) Does this mean 30mb is the max speed I can receive going with anyone other than Virgin? (I don’t think any of the London altnets serve my area)
3) If Virgins is my only option, is there a way of checking what the average virgin speeds are in the area?
4) Any other tips on which ISP to choose?

Any help much appreciated - go easy on me as I’m new to all this and trying to understand how it all works.

Cheers
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 13-Jan-21 12:45:28
Print Post

Re: Best fibre provider - Barnes SW13

[re: recz] [link to this post]

1. You aren't, you are seeing a quirk/mistake in what telecoms is showing you, need to ask them the why. VDSL2 is available and no one should be getting particular slow speeds

2. You need to see what the personal estimate for your property is from one of the FTTC providers.

3. Virgin speeds you can pick all the way up to the 1.1 Gbps product

4. You need to tell people what you do with your connection, for many a simple reliable 10 down 1 up is enough.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jpm
(member) Wed 13-Jan-21 13:25:41
Print Post

Re: Best fibre provider - Barnes SW13

[re: recz] [link to this post]

Assuming that you can get FTTC but not G.fast, and VM as MrSaffon has stated, then it's likely that the 'best' provider will be FTTC from Zen, AA, other forum favourite providers, and the fastest will be Virgin Media. If you don't need the 300+Mbps speeds that VM can provide then the consistency of a quality FTTC provider would be my recommendation.

Edited by jpm (Wed 13-Jan-21 13:26:29)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to