General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Saltank
(committed) Wed 27-Jan-21 18:54:23
Print Post

About SoGEA

[link to this post]

I've ordered Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 for installation next week, now I have read about something called SoGEA and that excluding the landline might give me better speeds or reliability on the line, is this true?

I was with Zen on Business FTTC until early 2018, but have decided to go back as am not happy with VMB's outages.

Zen today told me they don't offer SoGEA, though the BT DSL checker says it is available, and IDNet say I could order it.

So my question is - is it worth cancelling the Zen Fibre Unlimited 2 order (which is about £35/month with their FritzBox) and instead order IDNet SOGEA which will be £40?

Thanks.
Standard User partial
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-Jan-21 20:32:51
Print Post

Re: About SoGEA

[re: Saltank] [link to this post]

It won't give you more speed. I would not recommend it as the circuits test like a spare unused pair on many engineer's meters and that int gonna be a good thing for reliability.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 27-Jan-21 22:29:37
Print Post

I'm not qualified to disagree with what partial advises. In fact it makes sense to me. Plus, the suggestion that broadband-only could improve performance seems unlikely. But it seems it is only on Zen consumer that SOGEA is not available. It is on Business products. See this current thread.

Seeing as you were previously on Business?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 27-Jan-21 22:31:32)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Thu 28-Jan-21 07:30:21
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

I would not recommend it as the circuits test like a spare unused pair on many engineer's meters and that int gonna be a good thing for reliability.

That is true to an extent. My line was cut down a week after going to SoGEA. But soon all lines will be SOGEA so there wont be a choice.
But they wont be faster.
Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Jan-21 07:55:26
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Left virgin for prob best isp for performance in idnet fttc 250 m from exchange 12db attenuation

Getting Max of 67mb down

Leaving plusnet to join virgin i was getting mid 70’s down

Crosstalk perhaps ?

KRO BCFC smile

Edited by Stanman_24 (Thu 28-Jan-21 08:28:28)

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Thu 28-Jan-21 09:03:51
Print Post

[re: Stanman_24] [link to this post]

Sync or throughput? Could be on a different pair since leaving virgin.
Different DSLAM ports can give differing connection speeds
Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Jan-21 09:17:34
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

throughput

not impressed to be honest but hey !

KRO BCFC smile
Standard User Saltank
(committed) Thu 28-Jan-21 11:02:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

This source is claiming that the connection might not be faster, but it could be "more reliable" which is why I am considering it, I have zero use for the phone line. So if there's even a small chance at making it more reliable I would probably take it, though not for a significant increase in price, as I am trying to make some savings here smile

More reliable: Since there is no traditional phone line frequencies being used, there is less of a chance of interference and an unstable connection.

I haven't really found any proof to back this claim up though.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Thu 28-Jan-21 11:43:43
Print Post

Saltank

That is because it is Marketing speak, "less of a chance" how big is the chance in any case?

If you line is not unstable there is no chance of a change. If it is very unstable there is no chance of this improving it significantly. In the middle no-one will notice.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 28-Jan-21 12:49:03
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Agree with KitKat

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to