General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Jackl123
(newbie) Sat 06-Feb-21 13:50:33
Print Post

Changing from Virgin

[link to this post]

Hello need some advice,
Currently on Virgins 200m fibre package and have been suffering massively from latency issues, every few seconds going from 30ms to ~280ms. After a lot of research the problem seems to be a known issue with the ISP. The download speeds are fine but the ping is unbearable. These spikes only settle around 3-7am before returning. Once i was finally able to contact virgin they said it was just a congestion issue and there was nothing I could do about it. I'm in Kingston, southwest London and my only available options for fibre 100mbs+ are talktalk's fibre 150 and BT's fibre 100/250. Any advice on this or other options would be greatly appreciated. Is there any way to estimate my latency on these?
Standard User Filipe
(learned) Sun 07-Feb-21 06:05:16
Print Post

Re: Changing from Virgin

[re: Jackl123] [link to this post]

I left VM myself, couldn't stand the problems you're going through.

The next fastest traditional I could've got was adsl2+ but I decided to go with 5G.

I've tried the big 3 (Three, EE & Voda), latency seems to be between 20-50ms consistently and DL 80-350Mbps with 20-40UL depending on which I used, if you're considering it, you might want to try the nPerf app and look at each provider separately in coverage maps to see if any give you 5G or 4G+.

In my research when with VM I also find out the DHCP service in the router was a massive cause of the problems, if you have another non VM router somewhere handy, you could try turning the settings on the VM router to Modern only mode and use the other router to do the WiFi and routing, you'll hopefully see some improvements while you explore your options.

Still, I'm very happy I left VM, they didn't make it easy though, super tough to cancel, had to go through several layers of customer retention and only after the 3rd attempt they accept it but still called back after that to try and get me to agree to the same prices new customers were getting. By then it was too late.

Customer loyalty shouldn't cost the customer more each year.

My Condition
Happy laugh
Healthy smile
Wealthy frown

Standard User brookheather
(member) Sun 07-Feb-21 13:16:19
Print Post

Moving to an ISP on OpenReach FTTP should give you a sub-10ms latency and be much more stable than VM. I am on FTTP in London and get sub-3ms latency on pings to bbc.co.uk.

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + UniFi nanoHD

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Sun 07-Feb-21 14:33:56
Print Post

Much as brookheather says I’d fully expect on Openreach provisioned FTTP (in London) you will get a faster average ping than I get in Suffolk 6-7ms (min/average/max) with virtually no substantive jitter.

My Broadband Speed Test
  Print Thread

Jump to