General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RR_The_IT_Guy
(newbie) Wed 24-Mar-21 10:14:43
Print Post

Re: FTTP Providers

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

Yeah, I get what you mean, the reason I said CBT was because I knew the uptake on that street as I could check those, however the Aggregation nodes I cannot as obviously they are locked however it's my understanding that the whole area has a very limited uptake due to the high costs of services compared to what they are used to.

I know my street cannot wait for the services to be fitted as one of use uses a few hundred gigs a day. I am one of the light users at 30-40GB a day (if the speeds are constant).

I do understand that for resolution time however the provider in the case I gave example for was on ZEN which is known for its customer service where Openreach were missing appointments and overall were to blame for the issue. I know the backhaul where they were had no apparent or noticeable issues with capacity as the issue was not with speed but with dropouts at particular times.
However I was told by Openreach that when there is an issue for one customer and there is only one customer who has the service they cannot diagnose it as an area faut as its not affecting the area so to speak, it looks isolated as there is not a large number of complaints.

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Mar-21 10:15:25
Print Post

[re: RR_The_IT_Guy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RR_The_IT_Guy:
Sorry I was not clear I was referring to the diagnosing of area faults being a known issue due to a lack of consumers migrating to FTTP.
It appears you are using "helpdesk" methodology, where one person reports a fault, even if the problem is server side the helpdesk assume it the users device or ability. Ten people report a fault, and the helpdesk now think it could be a fault affecting the place they are all sitting. 100 people report a fault, and the helpdesk now think it could be a server fault, and contact server support.

Not sure that applies in this case.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Wed 24-Mar-21 11:58:00
Print Post

What I can tell you from personal experience (depending on your service provider and associated agreement) that is entirely possible to report an FTTP service fault at 4pm with your SP and have an engineer from Openreach on site the next morning and have it resolved by 10am. This was a service affecting fault affecting just me and not a complete network outage or “area affecting”

What were the details of the FTTP issue or incident your acquaintance had?

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Wed 24-Mar-21 14:42:09
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

That was exactly what i was trying to say, (it might interest you to know VM use 8 People or premises to diagnose an area fault on their systems).
In the case it would have helped to have multiple customers on the FTTP services for this reason, as its my understanding that area faults are often dealt with much more quickly to avoid the need for dishing out compensation.
I will answer to the message below next.

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Mar-21 15:03:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by RR_The_IT_Guy:
That was exactly what i was trying to say, (it might interest you to know VM use 8 People or premises to diagnose an area fault on their systems). In the case it would have helped to have multiple customers on the FTTP services for this reason, as its my understanding that area faults are often dealt with much more quickly to avoid the need for dishing out compensation.

I think each network provider has their own approach depending on what they learn are the failure modes. VM has over 30 years experience, so they know what is likely to go wrong first, consumer premises (CPE) cabling, or street cabinets.

Openreach has a lot of experience managing their copper and copper/fibre FTTC networks, and now has millions of live FTTP services. The street works for FTTP are all passive, so unlike VM and FTTC less likely to fail than active components, so the failure modes are going to be quite different.

Predictive failure analysis is a complete industry in its own right, and the network operators from OR, VM, CityFibre, and even the smaller B4RN type networks will all have different approaches.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
(newbie) Wed 24-Mar-21 15:07:19
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

As i did say i don't have openreach full fibre myself and have Orange FTTP and SFR Cable services (much better than VM and a lot cheaper than Openreach wholesale costs).
My acquaintance did not fully brief me on what the issue at Openreach's end was as they were unable to find out, Openreach never told them the full details of what caused the issue.
I can tell you that the openreach engineers kept saying they had turned up to fix the problem however the CCTV footage (now deleted due to storage restraints) proved otherwise.
Apparently the person said that at random times there would be "disconnections" where the connection was intermittent which I personally thought could either be the ONT, Router (before knowing it was excluded), some questionable splicing that kept being knocked or potentially some type of Fibre Optic Switch (I'm not sure what Openreach use themself so cannot comment on this). They had tested directly at the ONT on various devices to ensure that it was not a router causing issues which was confirmed. I believe openreach checked the fibre and said it was working fine (which being intermittent it would be) however later on the customer called back the ISP (ZEN) which contacted Openreach again where they missed more appointments again. However they were lucky and had the same engineer (like me with the same VM engineer 15 times this year, 10 In jan) the engineer changed the ONT so assumed the problem would go away however later on it came back so another phone call to ZEN was made where openreach sent another engineer which then said it's not this end it must be further up and said that the aggregation node was not an issue and said it was the headend exchange.
This then leads to the exchange swapping out some network hardware which then seems to solve the issue at the end of that 30 days of fun.
This was easily over a month of complaining (so not as bad as me with Virgin Media for over a year now)

I wish i could tell you more but that is what was said to me by that person so I cannot help more unfortunately.

Let me know if that gives you some kind of idea but I can only guess anything i was not told.

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to