General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User navi87
(newbie) Tue 30-Mar-21 09:40:39
Print Post

IPV4 Provider

[link to this post]

Good day all,

Ive just moved back from Germany to the UK and im looking to replace the awful Sky broadband connection my mum has at her house. I know the cabling is not great here, she always used to be restricted to 2mb ADSL back in the day but according to several websites where I used to the availability checker I can get speeds around 28mb'ish today.

What is really vital for me is a WAN IPV4 IP address which I use for to access my raspberry pi from outside my home using Wireguard VPN.

I've heard BT offers a stable service but do they offer IPV4 addresses? Dynamic IP is fine, my raspberry pi is set up with a DDNS service.
I've tried googling around and looking at BT website but I couldn't get a solid answer as everyone seems to be hyped around IPV6.

Im open to suggestions for other providers.

Regards,

Nav
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 30-Mar-21 10:34:48
Print Post

Re: IPV4 Provider

[re: navi87] [link to this post]

Use the BT Wholesale checker. That is the most reliable, and nearly all ISPs rely on the same source. It will almost certainly not recognise a Sky phone number. If it doesn't, then use the Address option.

All UK providers will supply at least one IPv4 address by default. Many do not yet provide IPv6, which is why the ones that do go on about it.

Sky would no doubt be happy to upgrade the connection, depending on what the above checker shows us. Please let us see the results, plus the exchange and cabinet number from the line above the table. Blank out the address or phone number of course. Then we can advise if there is a problem.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Tue 30-Mar-21 18:23:54
Print Post

[re: navi87] [link to this post]

Not sure if you are asking for a block of IPs or a fixed IP. If you need neither of those then all UK ISPs provide IPv4.

The reason you see posts about IPv6 is because IPv6 rollout by UK ISPs has been abysmally slow and a lot of them still don't provide it.

jelv

FTTC & Line rental: ZeN from March 2021

Previously: AAISP (November 2016 to March 2021) & Pulse8 line rental
Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ft247
(regular) Tue 30-Mar-21 21:33:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
All UK providers will supply at least one IPv4 address by default.

Some (Hyperoptic, some Community Fibre packages, most mobile broadband - probably others) use CGNAT which will not work for the OP's use case.
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Tue 30-Mar-21 22:01:48
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Sounds like OP simply wants a public (routable) IPv4 address. Whether it’s dynamic or static is of lesser consideration as he states he is using DDNS.

Just can’t be CGNAT.

Nothing in his OP to suggest he requires a block or more than one address.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Pheasant (Tue 30-Mar-21 22:03:26)

Standard User navi87
(newbie) Tue 30-Mar-21 22:43:06
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

OK thanks for the response guys. My last provider in Germany was using a weird "Dual Stack Lite" system which mixed IPv4 and IPv6 and that would not allow me to gain access to my Pi whilst I was outside of my home network. I had to actually subscribe to an additional service that gave me a pure IPv4 connection which then fixed my issue.

Based on everyones response, it seems I wont have an issue here in the UK. Awesome smile

Thanks for the replies!
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Tue 30-Mar-21 23:32:19
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

Do we know of any ISPs delivering a service over OpenReach lines that use CGNAT?

jelv

FTTC & Line rental: ZeN from March 2021

Previously: AAISP (November 2016 to March 2021) & Pulse8 line rental
Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 30-Mar-21 23:46:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by jelv:
Do we know of any ISPs delivering a service over OpenReach lines that use CGNAT?
Was that meant for ft247?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.
Standard User ft247
(regular) Wed 31-Mar-21 00:18:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by jelv:

I don't know of any.

You can, as a rough guide look at Hurricane Electric's BGP info pages to get an idea of how many IP addresses are advertised by each ISP. There will be some clients in there with their own space throwing the numbers off, but not by much.

Comparing to published subscriber numbers will give an idea of how close they are to running out. I don't think any of the big players are in danger of that, they got in early enough to secure sufficient stock. It's more a problem for new operators, which I guess is why the likes of Community Fibre and Hyperoptic with big expansion plans are putting so much effort into IPv6.
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Wed 31-Mar-21 08:58:52
Print Post

None that I’m aware of. It was agreement/confirmation of the commentary in ft247’s post above - for the avoidance of doubt as they say.

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to