General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nettech
(learned) Mon 05-Apr-21 10:59:13
Print Post

Re: Ready to leaves Plusnet Fibre for ............?

[re: chris52] [link to this post]

1. I've been with Zen since October and they've handled all my enquiries (via email) and my current order very well thus far. No experience with Pulse8 I found it difficult to find the info I wanted on their website so gave up.

2. I was with IDNet for two years. Very solid but expensive. Monthly contracts on FTTC. It was great being able to email tech support and get a reply within 30 mins although I sometimes felt they weren't going the extra mile. Definitely get the impression that their main focus is on business clients. I would also consider Sky as I had no issues when I was with them.

3. I am using the Zen-supplied FRITZ!Box 7530 and it's the best router I've ever used, in that it's the most reliable and connects at the fastest speed. The wifi also has the strongest reach (I have done away with any extenders/repeaters). But if you're a tech head that likes to tinkle it's not for you. The other poster is correct in that you will always be limited by your broadband speed so unless you are steaming movies from a NAS etc. or regularly moving very large files then might not need ax. IMO the whole chipset to chipset thing is these days a myth - I had a Billion 8800NL R2 (Broadcom connecting to Huawei DSLAM) which only connected at 20mbps. The Fritz!Box (Intel/Lantiq) connects at 39mbps. I think it's more that certain routers are better matched to certain lines.

5. Very unlikely, I'm afraid if you have any issues leaving a provider it's likely to be PN, sorry.

Cheers
Steve
argonet (dialup) -> BT Openworld -> Pipex -> freedom2surf -> ADSL24 -> O2 -> Sky -> Plusnet -> IDNet -> Zen
Standard User professor973
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Apr-21 11:01:03
Print Post

[re: chris52] [link to this post]

Pulse8 can supply a router and Adam & Sam offer superb customer service and very low call costs, but if your exchange is unbundled they will switch your line away from BTW over to TTB. I never found that a problem apart from BT pretending they could not identify the line if you were searching for a better deal and the cost of getting the line back to a BT line again. As for Zen, I can vouch for their superb service, low latency along the Fritzibox not missing a beat. I still look around at other providers but can find nothing to tempt me away from Zen so far, especially having suffered most providers in the past. Good luck with whatever you choose, but you seem to have researched and narrowed things down to good providers with a sensible price.

Standard User chris52
(regular) Mon 05-Apr-21 13:50:56
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Thank you for all the replies.

I am going with Zen. I like the included VDSL modem router and the price, including the call package, is not excessive when you factor in the price rises coming to the larger providers.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Grimers
(learned) Mon 05-Apr-21 16:20:26
Print Post

[re: nettech] [link to this post]

That's because the R2 has a terrible BDCM chipset, and doesn't really work on some VDSL lines.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to