User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trm201
(newbie) Mon 07-Jan-19 12:41:36
Print Post

Single thread download problems again

[link to this post]

Is anyone else having single thread download problems again ?

I recently moved to a new build property and have 80 / 20 FTTC - it was perfect for a few months.

Since early December I'm getting no more than 300kb/sec on a single thread download. I can still max my 80mb/sec if I download using something like Steam where it opens up so many threads.

I have raised the issue with Zen who have said there are no known problems their end and want to send an OR engineer out at a potential cost of £165.

Last time they had these problems I ended up forking out for my phone line to be re-cabled, a bt engineer and entirely new kit at a cost of ~£500. It then turned out their routing was bad due to the bandwidth and I had an unusable connection for over 6 months. I was offered 1 months compensation.

Getting pretty fed up of Zen now... I think I'm going to have to change provider only a few months into a 12 month contract frown

Edited by trm201 (Mon 07-Jan-19 12:54:48)

Standard User twins
(regular) Mon 07-Jan-19 19:54:43
Print Post

Re: Single thread download problems again

[re: trm201] [link to this post]

I have had a problem with Single Thread download speed ever since I joined Zen just over a year ago. I tried complaining and they took my complaint seriously but couldn't seem to do anything about it. In the end they asked if the single thread speed was causing any problem for me and if not why bother. And so I gave up at that point.

With a 80/20 connection and 200 meter from the OR cabinet I always have a stable connection night or day but there is still this niggle regarding Single Thread especially if I would want to use say Nexflix 4k UHD.

Here are the two speed tests I do which are always showing around the same results.

Using Speedtest.net
Latency - 17ms
Single Thread - 28mbps
Multi Thread - 70mbps
Upload - 17.5mbps

Using Zen's own Speed Checker
Latency -25ms
Single Thread - 38mbps
Multi Thread - 70mbps
Upload - 17.5mbps

Interesting why the Zen test should show 10mbps faster on single thread than Speedtest.net does. I have checked other speed tests including the Think Broadband one, who Zen use as their badged speed test, and they always give the lower single thread reading of 28mbps too.
Standard User trm201
(newbie) Mon 07-Jan-19 20:07:12
Print Post

[re: twins] [link to this post]

I don't think I'd be that bothered with 30mbps single at the moment... I'm getting 3mbps!

I can download at full speed from steam...

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/3303397427157...

but everything else is just really bad.

This is plugged directly into my PC via ethernet via a draytek VDSL modem with PPPoe in Windows.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User deezel
(learned) Mon 07-Jan-19 21:26:01
Print Post

Me to ,absolute garbage evening time , even multi thread isn't much better .
This all happened a few months ago after a disconnection through the night sometime, used to get a good 73 Mbps when it was running ok , i've had a single thread as low as 8 Mbps some times ,not good for 35 quid a month +

Billion 8900 AX 2400
ZEN Unlimited 80/20 FTTC
Standard User twins
(regular) Tue 08-Jan-19 18:02:09
Print Post

Should have mentioned that I am also connected by ethernet cable from FritzBox 3490 on Windows 10 PCs.

Looks as though my Single Thread is much better than yours and others. The main plus is that the connection is very stable and never varies by much at any time.

As well as Steam I get fast downloads from NVidia when they issue a new driver. Around 68mpbs. That must be a Multi Thread server.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Jan-19 18:44:53
Print Post

Steam is def super massive threads, and if the driver download is in an app very likely too

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 09-Jan-19 01:05:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Steam is def super massive threads, and if the driver download is in an app very likely too

Yeah, Steam uses multiple download threads, when we had 2 ADSL2+ Connections I would setup the 2 gateways and ended up with the combined download speed, but this only worked with download services that uses multiple download threads.

The only ones that I did try it on back then was the Battlenet launcher and Steam which was fine.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast 2 + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User deezel
(learned) Sun 03-Mar-19 20:31:42
Print Post

Single thread is worse than the old ADSL2+ evening speeds are a complete waste of time
My Broadband Speed Test

Billion 8900 AX 2400
ZEN Unlimited 80/20 FTTC
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Mon 04-Mar-19 08:08:18
Print Post

Hi

If the speed is there on the multi-threaded test then there is nothing wrong with your VDSL connection, and you don't require an OpenReach engineer. Zen need to get their technical support people better trained, although likely it's just a way to get the customer off the phone and pass the problem to someone else.

The VDSL connection does not know if you are doing a single threaded test or multi-threaded test and doesn't care. If it can do full speed on the multi-threaded test, then it can do full speed on the single threaded test, and not being able to is an indication the problem is elsewhere and your line simply passing on the packets as they arrive slower than they should do from the wider network.

Regards

Phil

Edited by PhilipD (Mon 04-Mar-19 08:09:14)

Standard User trm201
(newbie) Tue 03-Dec-19 22:22:38
Print Post

[re: PhilipD] [link to this post]

Erg, annoying to resurrect this -

Zen did eventually find the problem and resolve it, it took around a month - I was offered 0 compensation and even refused it when I asked for it as the service wasn't actually failed according to them.

Anyway, the exact same problem has started happening again. Line snyced at 80/20, multithread downloads max it out, but single thread downloads less than 10mb/sec - makes watching anything streaming pretty much impossible.

Very frustrating, have opened up another support ticket but will almost certainly change ISP as this is now the 3rd time this exact same problem has happened with Zen.

I might try IDNET out !
  Print Thread

Jump to