User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bigbadpirate
(member) Wed 23-Jan-19 21:40:44
Print Post

Re: Work at cabinet affected connection - what next?

[re: lozzd] [link to this post]

Edited by bigbadpirate (Thu 24-Jan-19 04:52:26)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Jan-19 18:29:52
Print Post

Since Zen are reluctant to contact Openreach they suggested just asking someone next time I see them at the cabinet, but is there a better way?

Really ? I find that highly unlikely, Zenís support staff suggested you ask an Openreach engineer next time you see one at the cab ?

It isnít a useful course of action at all, the Openreach staff will have no records to hand of your service, and they also have their own work to be getting on with. What work is going on at the cabinet ? Why must this be the cause ? Have you checked you have clear dialling tone on your line ?

Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Sun 27-Jan-19 10:19:55
Print Post

Hi

Errors are not a problem as VDSL is designed to work with errors, that's how they stuff so much data through decades old analogue telephone wires.

If you are first on the cabinet then all you will see from now on is a degrading service, that's just how it is, as cross-talk affects everyone to a greater or lesser degree, the difference for you is you have a baseline when it was just you on the service and no cross-talk, most people don't have this so have no idea just how bad a technology VDSL is with cross-talk.

I would just accept the fact as otherwise you will go mad constantly checking the line and trying to fix something you can't.

I was number 2 on the cab at my old address, saw 15db SNR continually drop over the weeks after it went it live to end at about 7db but I was close enough to just hold on to a maximum 80/20. At the new address where VDSL has been live for years and we joined up, I haven't seen any decline as everyone was already there.

Regards

Phil

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lozzd
(regular) Wed 30-Jan-19 10:05:43
Print Post

[re: PhilipD] [link to this post]

I guess in a way, if the speed is just going to drop, so be it. But the quantity of speed that was lost in a 5 minute period seems more than just a bit of crosstalk from new customers.

Actually, I don't even midn that much about the speed, it's more that the connection is far less stable now. Dropping every couple of days to resync versus 31 days uptime is irritating.
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Wed 30-Jan-19 10:24:39
Print Post

Hi

Telephone cable was never designed for data, it wasn't even that good for voice and audio quality. This has resulted in cross-talk being a big issue as telephone cable was never designed to work with these sorts of frequencies. In many ways it is wrong it's been allowed to happen with telephone cable re-purposed this way as it doesn't perform that well, can be unreliable and difficult to fix, wastes a lot of energy, and was only ever a short term solution that just delays the inevitable when we can have real fibre as opposed to the faux-fibre we have now called VDSL.

If you are first on a cabinet with no cross-talk, then the next customer, especially if living near you so their line is close to yours for a good distance, can easily have a very high impact.

You shouldn't be seeing disconnections every couple of days, but if they are adding more and more customers your profile may be being changed by the kit. Things like power levels can be adjusted downwards to help prevent cross-talk from your line affecting other lines, and it could take a while for things to settle down. Provided normal checks like listening to the phone line for noise shows up nothing, all you can do is wait to see if things settle down.

Regards

Phil
Standard User lozzd
(regular) Fri 07-Jun-19 10:54:27
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Just in case you wanted a cool graph of just how bad crosstalk is - my area had a scheduled power outage this week and so 100% of people on my cab disconnected (presumably) - except me, for 30 minutes, because of the UPS. Check out the attainable go from 71mbit/sec to 107mbit!
It's a small cabinet too.

Screenshot of graph
Standard User alexatkin
(regular) Sat 29-Jun-19 09:36:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by lozzd:
Just in case you wanted a cool graph of just how bad crosstalk is - my area had a scheduled power outage this week and so 100% of people on my cab disconnected (presumably) - except me, for 30 minutes, because of the UPS. Check out the attainable go from 71mbit/sec to 107mbit!
It's a small cabinet too.

Screenshot of graph

I used to be on Digital Region, synced at 100/30 with an attainable of 130Mbit.

Now on the same line I'm stuck at 66.8/20. Granted Openreach use different band plans which did seem to reduce the attainable from day one, but it still shows how shocking crosstalk can be.

I also got a second line which shaved 1-2Mbit off my first line and that's likely from crosstalk only over the drop wire from the pole. If your line is right next to another VDSL pair all the way back to the cabinet, things are likely to be much worse.

Edited by alexatkin (Sat 29-Jun-19 09:37:36)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 29-Jun-19 16:01:39
Print Post

[re: PhilipD] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PhilipD:
Hi

Errors are not a problem as VDSL is designed to work with errors, that's how they stuff so much data through decades old analogue telephone wires.

If you are first on the cabinet then all you will see from now on is a degrading service, that's just how it is, as cross-talk affects everyone to a greater or lesser degree, the difference for you is you have a baseline when it was just you on the service and no cross-talk, most people don't have this so have no idea just how bad a technology VDSL is with cross-talk.

I would just accept the fact as otherwise you will go mad constantly checking the line and trying to fix something you can't.

I was number 2 on the cab at my old address, saw 15db SNR continually drop over the weeks after it went it live to end at about 7db but I was close enough to just hold on to a maximum 80/20. At the new address where VDSL has been live for years and we joined up, I haven't seen any decline as everyone was already there.

Regards

Phil
It maybe but BT enforce something called DLM and that sets what threshold of error rate is acceptable
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to