User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Lotak
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-19 11:03:19
Print Post

Sync Speed bottleneck

[link to this post]

Hi there,

I recently upgraded my Fibre broadband to GFast 160/30.
I have the equipment provided by Zen / Openreach - Fritz!Box 7530 Router and the MT992 modem.
Openreach did all of the necessary hardware installation and internet speeds are consistent.

However, there appears to be a bottleneck and my internet speed is limited to around 100Mbps. This is due purely to the Sync Rate, which over the last 8 days has ranged from around 90Mbps to a maximum of 101.787Mbps (according to the Line Rate Data).
Not only this, but my upstream has dropped dramatically from 20Mpbs on Superfast to around 7.5Mbps on GFast.

I phoned Zen Technical Support and they went through the basics (turn off / on router and modem, replace the splitter, replace the cable to the modem, adjust some setting on the router etc ...) but the sync rate remained pretty constant. He tested the line 6 times and sync rate ranged from 95 to 101 Mbps.

I did the quiet test on the houseline and there was no noise.

We both concluded that there must be a bottleneck somewhere that is restricting the sync rate. The technician believed it would be an Openreach issue and has booked an engineer appointment, however, if the issue is down to something basic that is my fault, I will be charged for the visit (some £200).

The quality of the speed is very good. Hooked up via the LAN, I'm getting around 92Mbps and via the WiFi, it's slightly less. I don't see what the issue could be on my end, but if I can find the fault and fix it, then I'd rather not fork out £200 for a wasted visit.

I only have two possibilities as to what the issue is:
1) One of the hardware equipment is causing the bottleneck. The modem and (apparently) master socket were replaced. This is the new Master Socket: https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/bt-line-boxes-and-so...
2) There is an actual Openreach technical problem that is throttling the line.

Does anyone have any other suggestion that I can try cos I'm out of ideas.

Thank you (sorry for Wall of Text).

Edited by Lotak (Tue 19-Nov-19 11:43:08)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Nov-19 11:16:36
Print Post

Re: Sync Speed bottleneck

[re: Lotak] [link to this post]

Openreach engineer should have tested line and resolved anything that impacted speeds as part of the install.

It may simply be that you are at a distance where the full sync speed is not to be expected.

So first step, is how far from the g.fast pod are you?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Lotak
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-19 11:35:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well, the Openreach engineer couldn't test the line because the internet wasn't working, claiming it was a Zen issue.
I could only get the internet working the day after.

I was under the impression I was 260m from the exchange, but the Technician said it was half that.

The dslchecker says I should be getting an impacted G.Fast speed of 168.8 Mbps (that's the lowest speed on the DSL checker).

If my speed is limited to 100Mpbs purely due to distance, then I would never have taken out the contract and broadband providers / openreach have completely mislead me into thinking I could get speeds of up to 289Mbps (which would be the max g.fast speed claimed).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Nov-19 11:59:59
Print Post

NOTE DSL Checker is an estimate, not a should you get that figure.

What you should get is measured as part of the install and even then external factors can move this up or down over time.

260m from the exchange, but how far from the g.fast pod? That might be 100m the other side of the exchange. (NOTE Exchange is a physical building and not a green cabinet in the street).

The testing they do should work even if the internet connection was not up to Zen, i.e. they don't do a speed test but look at the sync speeds of the hardware.

Where/who has actually said you will get speeds of 289 Mbps? If you feel mislead then choice is (a) attempt to resolve (b) seek early exit and return to VDSL2

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Nov-19 12:00:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by Lotak:
I was under the impression I was 260m from the exchange, but the Technician said it was half that.

The dslchecker says I should be getting an impacted G.Fast speed of 168.8 Mbps (that's the lowest speed on the DSL checker).

Half of that was 130m should get 330/50 easily. The picture u posted isn't G.fast socket. Should be one of those here: https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/adsl-vdsl-faceplates...

Also what does BTw checker say on Clean A Range on your G.fast estimate?

Did the engineer told u of what was the max line rate and the length of distance from the cabinet?

Edited by adslmax (Tue 19-Nov-19 12:04:03)

Standard User Lotak
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-19 12:10:11
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
In reply to a post by Lotak:

Half of that was 130m should get 330/50 easily. The picture u posted isn't G.fast socket. Should be one of those here: https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/adsl-vdsl-faceplates...

Also what does BTw checker say on Clean A Range on your G.fast estimate?

Did the engineer told u of what was the max line rate and the length of distance from the cabinet?

Looking online, this is a standard Master Socket that they install for G.Fast
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/02/a-quic...

My wife was the one home when the engineer came over. I actually don't know if they replaced it, but the image I showed is the one that is there and is the 2019 version, so must be the one they installed. If the engineer did say what the max line rate should be / length of distance, I don't think she remembers.

Initially I thought it was the Master Socket faceplate that was the bottleneck, but dismissed it due to the replacement. If that is the cause, then that's pretty shoddy from the engineer as he's given me a Master Socket not fit for purpose. When I spoke to Zen, they described the Master Socket exactly as the one in the wall (i.e. not the one you showed me), so they expected it to be the single socket too.

That being said, one of the things was to remove the face plate and plug the splitter direct into the Master Socket. Didn't work.

Clean speed of 208.2 to 289.4. Should easily be getting 160.

Edited by Lotak (Tue 19-Nov-19 12:59:04)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Nov-19 12:15:50
Print Post

Ask Zen to re-arrange another engineer. You won't get charged as your router and openreach modem are brand new hardly any fault on it. I wouldn't worry about £200 charge by openreach.
Standard User Lotak
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-19 12:17:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
NOTE DSL Checker is an estimate, not a should you get that figure.

What you should get is measured as part of the install and even then external factors can move this up or down over time.

260m from the exchange, but how far from the g.fast pod? That might be 100m the other side of the exchange. (NOTE Exchange is a physical building and not a green cabinet in the street).

The testing they do should work even if the internet connection was not up to Zen, i.e. they don't do a speed test but look at the sync speeds of the hardware.

Where/who has actually said you will get speeds of 289 Mbps? If you feel mislead then choice is (a) attempt to resolve (b) seek early exit and return to VDSL2

Sorry, my terminology gets muddled up.

I think I'm 2km from the Exchange and 260m from the cabinet. I don't know exactly where the g.fast pod is. I was under the impression it was adjacent to the cabinet.

I know not to expect speeds of 289 Mbps, which is what DSL checker says / Zen said (based on 330/50 package). But, getting a max sync rate of 100Mbps, when everyone suggests I should be getting in excess of 150Mbps is miss-selling. I can never achieve those speeds, yet Openreach / BT / Zen / Sky / EE (those that supply GFast) all say I can.

This isn't a case of WiFi speeds being low due to network connectivity. This is a case of me being unable to getting the desired speeds based on the Sync Rate, which isn't something I can control for.
Had I known this, I'd never have taken out the product.
Standard User Lotak
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-19 12:20:51
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Ask Zen to re-arrange another engineer. You won't get charged as your router and openreach modem are brand new hardly any fault on it. I wouldn't worry about £200 charge by openreach.

Zen has booked an Openreach engineer for next week, but don't claim responsibility. They are essentially saying it's an Openreach problem or a Me problem. If Openreach say it's not their issue (i.e.it's a Zen / Me issue), they'll charge me,

I will be mightily peeved if that is the case and will completely be contesting.

I'm pretty convinced that there is a bottleneck that needs clearing for me to achieve the advertised Sync Rate, rather than the Sync Rate being limited due to location.

Am I right in saying Sync Rate is the speed received by the Master Socket? Not the speed into the Modem / Router?
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Nov-19 12:27:24
Print Post

How can failing to meet an estimate be considered to be mis-selling? If the problem isn't fixable cancel your contract. The DSL checker is no more than an estimate until such time as a service is provided and actual measurements made.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to