User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Lotak
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-19 14:07:28
Print Post

Re: Sync Speed bottleneck

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

You mean something like a Powerline?

https://shop.bt.com/category/networking,network-devi...

Like that?

No. We only have a TP-Link, which has actually stopped working since the upgrade. It no longer seems to receive power via the ethernet.

Otherwise no Homeplugs
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Nov-19 14:11:45
Print Post

[re: Lotak] [link to this post]

Ok, no homeplugs.

Best way is to wait for an engineer to come out and tell him or her to replaced master socket to have G.fast label on it.

Make sure your router has gigabit ethernet port from Openreach modem. Most router has 10/100Mbps ethernet port that no good for G.fast. And also make sure your laptop or pc has gigabit ethernet port too.

Edited by adslmax (Tue 19-Nov-19 14:12:49)

Standard User Lotak
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-19 14:18:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Ok, no homeplugs.

Best way is to wait for an engineer to come out and tell him or her to replaced master socket to have G.fast label on it.

Make sure your router has gigabit ethernet port from Openreach modem. Most router has 10/100Mbps ethernet port that no good for G.fast. And also make sure your laptop or pc has gigabit ethernet port too.

The router definitely has gigabit ethernet port. It's Gigabit Lan and DSL up to 300, both of which are plenty to meet the requriements.
Not sure about my device, but that shouldn't matter as it is the sync speed that is limited.

Looks like there's nothing else I can think of, so will have to wait for the engineer. Hopefully it's an openreach fault and they can resolve it. Probably a button that needs switching or dialling up.
Thanks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Nov-19 14:20:57
Print Post

Dial 17070 choosen option 2 for test quiet line test to see there is no fault on the phone for any line noise, crackling, buzzing, popping or humming. If it very quiet then the phone are fine.

Performing the Quiet Line Test:

Once you have your telephone connected to the BT test socket dial 17070. You will reach BT's line test facility.
Choose option 2 from the menu presented - "Quiet Line Test".

Edited by adslmax (Tue 19-Nov-19 14:22:01)

Standard User Lotak
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-19 14:23:16
Print Post

I did that with the Zen technician.
No noise at all.

Everything suggests the speed coming into the line has been limited to 100 Mbps.
If there was interference, my speed would be much more erratic. But its a consistent 90-100.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Nov-19 14:24:26
Print Post

Ok no problem. U should be getting 160/30 easily. Hope engineer will sort it out.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Nov-19 15:38:38
Print Post

IF speed coming down the line is limited as you say then as its a distance based product then most likely the distance is the limiting factor.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Lotak
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-19 15:45:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
IF speed coming down the line is limited as you say then as its a distance based product then most likely the distance is the limiting factor.

Why I don't think this is the case is that the speed seems limited to near exact 100 Mbps. Is that coincidental? Maybe. I don't think so.

Also, why has my upload speed plummeted by 2/3rds? That shouldn't have happened.

Guess it's the engineer to explain.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Nov-19 16:13:13
Print Post

Sync speed is going to be very similar almost all the time unless there is a fault, since the distance does not change.

So are you talking about 100 Mbps download speed with unknown sync speed?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Lotak
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-19 16:18:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sync speed is 100 Mbps. Download speed is between 80 and 95 (depending on connection).

Zen technician seems to think something is capping it and doesn't believe it to be the distance.
Guess we shall see what becomes of it when Openreach engineer comes.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to