User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Nov-19 16:45:19
Print Post

Re: Sync Speed bottleneck

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
IF speed coming down the line is limited as you say then as its a distance based product then most likely the distance is the limiting factor.

I do find it hard to believe this. G.fast are fine with 160/30 for up to 300m away. Simply as that.

G.fast distance chart here https://ibb.co/WPtsVjP

Edited by adslmax (Tue 19-Nov-19 16:52:52)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Nov-19 17:48:30
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

That is the theory, but we know nothing about this specific line, so presenting the graphs as 'simply that' is far to simplistic

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bigbadpirate
(member) Wed 27-Nov-19 21:56:19
Print Post

That is the theory, but we know nothing about this specific line, so presenting the graphs as 'simply that' is far to simplistic

his line is up to standard or it is not. how hard can it be? either it's good or it isnt. can you explain to me? try and justify it.

you can't. lets get this in context here. last whatever meters of copper wire.

there was one time i thought you were for the beterment of broadband. just like mr tang. where is mr garner now anyway. you know exactly what im insinuating right?

Edited by bigbadpirate (Wed 27-Nov-19 22:06:42)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bigbadpirate
(member) Wed 27-Nov-19 22:09:53
Print Post

Openreach engineer should have tested line and resolved anything that impacted speeds as part of the install.

It may simply be that you are at a distance where the full sync speed is not to be expected.

So first step, is how far from the g.fast pod are you?

your having a laugh arnt you. a bt openreach "engineer" actually doing his job right? probably need to teach them in the first place. then just maybe.

still got line swappers in my area. knowing full well them lines were in use. or they forgot to test. that certain guy is not getting away with it this time. wink

Edited by bigbadpirate (Wed 27-Nov-19 22:13:18)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 27-Nov-19 22:55:04
Print Post

[re: bigbadpirate] [link to this post]

A copper line still only has a legal requirement to support voice and 28 kilo bits per second data transfer.

The broadband USO coming into effect in March 2020 will add a 10 Mbps down/1 Mbps up connection requirement on BT and KCOM but how they meet this is up to them e.g. improve copper, roll-out FTTP or offer 4G solution within the context of a cost envelope.

So is the line in question up to standard - yes.

As for the other allegations you appear to make I have no idea what you are on about. I am sure you will enlighten the world though.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User flilot
(learned) Wed 27-Nov-19 23:56:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by bigbadpirate:
your having a laugh arnt you. a bt openreach "engineer" actually doing his job right? probably need to teach them in the first place. then just maybe.

still got line swappers in my area. knowing full well them lines were in use. or they forgot to test. that certain guy is not getting away with it this time. wink

Not to shiver your timbers, but, you seem to be a bit of an incoherent looney, mate.

Carl
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Nov-19 13:26:56
Print Post

[re: flilot] [link to this post]

@flilot Where did you learn to be so polite! smile
Standard User Lotak
(newbie) Wed 04-Dec-19 13:56:14
Print Post

The Openreach engineer came last week and it appears my line isn't capped. The speed I'm getting actually appears to be the maximum speed that my line can achieve on G.fast broadband, given how far away I am from the G.fast cabinet.

My house is around 260m away, but he said that's only to the house. There may be another 100m of copper cabling to get to my phone line. Whatever it is, he actually said that if he were the engineer who installed the G.fast, he'd have recommended not doing it as speeds wouldn't be *that* much faster.

Still couldn't explain the reduction in upload speed though. That confused him as well.

Anyway, the line speed is what it is. Turns out the bottleneck isn't an BT / ISP issue, it's the length of the copper cabling!
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sat 27-Jun-20 00:26:31
Print Post

[re: Lotak] [link to this post]

@Lotak First of all, my cabinet is 250m away. Openreach put estimated speed for G.fast as 250Mbps down and 48Mbps up. FTTC still at 80/20 with max speed. Your G.fast pod 260m away plus another 100m to the pcp cabinet could be possible correct figure by an engineer told you this! I know my local street pcp cabinet is 150m to add another 100m to my property get it 250m figure (not the FTTC cabinet)

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to