User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sat 23-Nov-19 21:57:32
Print Post

How long do AVM provide firmware for Fritzboxes?

[link to this post]

Have been using the free 3490 since I upgraded to FTTP so that in the unlikely event of a problem it was easier for both me and Zen to troubleshoot the problem (have had the 'joy' of troubleshooting weird and wonderful hardware remotely myself and know it can cause headaches)

The connection has been rock solid and the router is set to apply any Fritz!OS updates automatically and now it's on 7.12.

I believe this router has been about since 2015 and that Zen are now supplying the 7530 instead.

Two questions:

1. How long do AVM tend to support their routers firmware-wise?
2. Is there any benefit in me swapping to a 7530 and if so, are Zen still offering a discount to customers?

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU => Zen FTTP (39.5 Mbps down, 9.5 Mbps up)
Router: Fritzbox 3490
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User lexden16
(committed) Mon 25-Nov-19 14:35:53
Print Post

Re: How long do AVM provide firmware for Fritzboxes?

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Five years at the very least given the warranty. I have a 7590 and I note that AVM has only just stopped providing updates for the 7390 (due I believe to a lack of inbuilt memory).
Standard User Peterdevon
(newbie) Mon 25-Nov-19 15:59:14
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

I've got a 7390 and it updated last week

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lexden16
(committed) Mon 25-Nov-19 16:23:09
Print Post

[re: Peterdevon] [link to this post]

A maintenance update only according to various websites.

Quote: As of 1.9.2018, AVM discontinued support for the FRITZ! Box Fon WLAN 7390 (EOS). As of 1.7.2017, AVM discontinued the further development and thus the provision of updates and patches (EOM - End of maintenance). The current FRITZ! OS version for the 7390 carries the number 6.83. Unquote

What OS version is the GUI showing? The latest OS update for the majority of boxes and component is 7.12.
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sun 01-Dec-19 14:22:15
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Chhers all.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU => Zen FTTP (39.5 Mbps down, 9.5 Mbps up)
Router: Fritzbox 3490
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
  Print Thread

Jump to