User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User chrisjam
(learned) Sat 28-Mar-20 11:13:50
Print Post

Warning - Zen still doing backhaul migrations

[link to this post]

I have been very happy with Zen over the years, but I question their motivation for making unnecessary changes during these times when we are all so reliant on our internet connections to be able to work and socalise.

In my case they migrated me from a BTW backhaul to a TalkTalk Business backhaul on Thursday.

I only found out because of a worrying message on my Openreach line check which said that a "close order" had been placed on my line - which made me worry somewhat.

Luckily it went pretty smoothly; it caused a DLM reset and interleave was temporarily reapplied to my line.

Early days but the new TT Business backhaul has higher latency (even with fast path) and does seems more congested than the BTW backhaul I was on previously. I've had buffering for the first time in months - it went away immediately when I switched to Vodafone LTE ... and no, not my wifi; I have a Mikrotik set up that I optimise very carefully smile

Edited by chrisjam (Sat 28-Mar-20 17:53:24)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 28-Mar-20 11:39:58
Print Post

Re: Warning - Zen still doing backhaul migrations

[re: chrisjam] [link to this post]

Not good for you, but it might have been unstoppable. They could well have had a contract signed a while ago, with an expensive cancellation charge and their BT contract on notice to terminate as well. Commercial contracts are very different from our Ofcom-regulated ones smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User chrisjam
(learned) Sat 28-Mar-20 11:59:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Fair point - perhaps they didn't have time to put a contractual variation in place.

I still like them - they're a good ISP, their support has usually been very good, and these are unprecedented times.

However for the benefit of others I'd say avoid Zen at the minute whilst they put through whatever network changes they are working on.

Edited by chrisjam (Sat 28-Mar-20 12:01:11)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kev_445
(regular) Sat 28-Mar-20 12:37:24
Print Post

Hi Chris, although this pandemic is unsettling, the world carries on spinning regardless. The governments intention is not to stop the economy, just stop social mixing, anything else should carry on as normal within the PHE guidelines.
Standard User chrisjam
(regular) Sat 28-Mar-20 13:26:11
Print Post

[re: kev_445] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kev_445:
Hi Chris, although this pandemic is unsettling, the world carries on spinning regardless. The governments intention is not to stop the economy, just stop social mixing, anything else should carry on as normal within the PHE guidelines.

Of course. The point is that to do this many of us require a reliable internet connection.
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(member) Sat 28-Mar-20 14:35:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by chrisjam:
Of course. The point is that to do this many of us require a reliable internet connection.

This may have been necessary to preserve the performance of your connection. If Zen have planned capacity based on moving x % of customers to the alternative platform they might be in trouble if they don't.

Extra WMBC capacity has a lead time which could be large depending on what's needed to deliver it.

Glad all is well.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
  Print Thread

Jump to