User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Thu 25-Jun-20 15:11:18
Print Post

Domain hosting with Zen

[link to this post]

Does anyone here have any experience of domain hosting with Zen?

I'm currently with Plusnet and have two domain names hosted with a UK domain hosting company, but have found that Zen are about 8 quid per month cheaper than Plusnet who are unwilling to budge on price, probably because I've been with them since 2004, so I reckon it's time to move. I see that Zen do domain hosting for the same price as my current domain host so I'm thinking of also moving my domains and broadband service to Zen.

Are Zen's domain hosting prices stable? I'd hate to move my domains and then find that Zen unreasonably bump up their domain hosting prices.
Standard User prlzx
(experienced) Thu 25-Jun-20 15:38:02
Print Post

Re: Domain hosting with Zen

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

The prices look reasonable enough at the moment, but I think for .uk margins are squeezed since Nominet decided to inflate domain registration costs to nearer that of .com and other non ccTLDs pushing everything towards £10/year or so.

In the past I've never wanted my domain registration, hosting or email to be tied up with the same ISP as for broadband so would go with someone like IONOS.

These days for hosting I would probably just use Linode or similar VPS provider, and look deals on 10 year or longer domain registrations with DNS management services as you can still use them without renting webspace.

But I guess it depends what your storage space and data transfer requirements look like and with Zen maybe it's easier to find out if your data is held in UK or not too.

prlzx on Zen: FTTC (VDSL) at ~40Mbps / 10Mbps
with IP4/6 (no v6? - not true Internet)
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Thu 25-Jun-20 16:30:39
Print Post

[re: prlzx] [link to this post]

At the moment I use the domain names purely for email with redirection of emails to my ISP email box.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User prlzx
(experienced) Thu 25-Jun-20 16:47:56
Print Post

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

So if it is just domain registration including DNS management and email forwarding, then the prices seem comparable with other providers.
For me any provider asking significantly more than ~ £10/year per domain needs to show some added value.

If it's a fixed price for the year (£9.50 to £12 inc.) and domain transfers aren't charged an additional fee I think it's low risk - reviewing annual pricing after 11 of 12 months elapsed has become the way of things.

The commitment not to increase my broadband charges after the first 12 months was one of the factors in my moving to Zen but as I say if the TLD costs jump there's not alot a registrar can do.

Hosting I usually associate with web / ftp space, be it shared hosting or dedicated server.

prlzx on Zen: FTTC (VDSL) at ~40Mbps / 10Mbps
with IP4/6 (no v6? - not true Internet)

Edited by prlzx (Thu 25-Jun-20 17:00:50)

Print Thread

Jump to