User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User radar
(regular) Sat 18-Jul-20 08:28:39
Print Post

Zen going downhill

[link to this post]

This is the third time this week that Zen have lost the link into Lancaster.
Are they using a third world provider for their link, all of Lancaster and the outlying exchanges are off the net.
Very little information about the fault is given on their status page.

https://status.zen.co.uk/broadband/fault-outage-deta...

I would have expected better from a ISP such as Zen, I am not a happy bunny, I would be even more unhappy if I didn't have a 4G backup.

Dave

Standard User flilot
(regular) Sat 18-Jul-20 18:55:27
Print Post

Re: Zen going downhill

[re: radar] [link to this post]

Stuff happens. Hardware faults occur (with all providers almost daily). Some can be tricky to diagnose. You may think a problem is resolved only for it to occur again, leading to a conclusion that it's not actually the part you replaced that was faulty, but another underlying issue (such as a power supply dropping voltage under certain load conditions, but not at other times).

They'll always try the quick fixes first (to get the unhappy bunnies back online fast), and again these fixes may not last. But they'll always try and avoid a complete hardware replacement unless absolutely necessary (as they'll either have to route the bunnies differently temporarily causing slowdowns and more gnashing of teeth, or cut them off completely whilst replacing the hardware, making the unhappy bunnies even unhappier).

Again: stuff happens. Unless you have an SLA with your ISP, there's not much you can do about it.
It's not an indication of an ISP going "downhill", either.

Carl
(regular) Sat 18-Jul-20 20:32:00
Print Post

[re: flilot] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by flilot:
Stuff happens. Hardware faults occur (with all providers almost daily). Some can be tricky to diagnose. You may think a problem is resolved only for it to occur again, leading to a conclusion that it's not actually the part you replaced that was faulty, but another underlying issue (such as a power supply dropping voltage under certain load conditions, but not at other times).

They'll always try the quick fixes first (to get the unhappy bunnies back online fast), and again these fixes may not last. But they'll always try and avoid a complete hardware replacement unless absolutely necessary (as they'll either have to route the bunnies differently temporarily causing slowdowns and more gnashing of teeth, or cut them off completely whilst replacing the hardware, making the unhappy bunnies even unhappier).

Again: stuff happens. Unless you have an SLA with your ISP, there's not much you can do about it.

The problem must have been more serious than a PSU fault.
The first time outage was from approx 5pm Sunday to 11pm sunday.
Second outage was Thursday I think and was off from approx same time 5pm to 07:45am next day.
Third outage was off from same time approx to approx 08:30am this morning.
And that was all exchanges off Lancaster.

Dave

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Jul-20 21:43:33
Print Post

Too many non-techies.

Andrews & Arnold Home ::1 on Draytek 2862ac - Why settle for inferior?
Standard User steve195527
(member) Thu 23-Jul-20 10:27:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by radar:
In reply to a post by flilot:

The problem must have been more serious than a PSU fault.
The first time outage was from approx 5pm Sunday to 11pm sunday.
Second outage was Thursday I think and was off from approx same time 5pm to 07:45am next day.
Third outage was off from same time approx to approx 08:30am this morning.
And that was all exchanges off Lancaster.

Dave

technology has and will always go wrong, it's a fact of life and outages can happen to any and all ISP's and sometimes an initial failure can be wrongly diagnosed and when that fix is applied(believed to be the correct fix by the engineer, not just done to wind up users) more failures can follow
  Print Thread

Jump to