User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Puy11
(newbie) Tue 22-Sep-20 23:04:50
Print Post

Throughput and actual speeds

[link to this post]

My Zen broadband was activated today. They say that over the next ten days the speed will be up and down so maybe it's that, but the throughput to the router is 67.3mbps down and 20mbps up. A speed test just now gave me 62.92mbps down and 18.57mbps up. Earlier in the day it did reach just under 65mbps.

Should I be expecting to get around the 67.3mbps download speed mark once the line settles down?
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Sep-20 23:35:21
Print Post

Re: Throughput and actual speeds

[re: Puy11] [link to this post]

FTTC are never 10 days training period. (That's for ADSL & ADSL2+ only)

G.INP should be activated after couple of days later to gain more sync rate speed on all Huawei cabinets only

Here is my line without G.INP

Downstream Upstream
Line attenuation (dB): 11.3 0.0
Signal attenuation (dB): Not available on VDSL2
Attenuation rate (kbps): 83026 27648
Connection speed (kbps): 69594 19999
SNR margin (dB): 6.2 15.2
Power (dBm): 12.5 -1.3
Interleave depth: 1363 1
INP: 3.00 0
G.INP: Not Enabled Not Enabled

With G.INP activated on the line:

Downstream Upstream
Line attenuation (dB): 11.3 0.0
Signal attenuation (dB): Not available on VDSL2
Attenuation rate (kbps): 82489 27617
Connection speed (kbps): 79999 19999
SNR margin (dB): 6.7 15.1
Power (dBm): 12.4 -1.3
Interleave depth: 8 1
INP: 48.00 0
G.INP: Enabled Not Enabled

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014

Edited by adslmax (Tue 22-Sep-20 23:39:33)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 22-Sep-20 23:47:30
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Not even true for them. It's a BT Wholesale construct applicable only to BT Wholesale-based products. (Apologies for the very out of date site with that on, but the page in question is still valid wrt their ADSLx).

As for FTTC, you are absolutely correct wrt the connection itself. Openreach DLM, which is what controls FTTC, does not have any inbuilt 10-day period. It is possible that BT Wholesale does use its same MSR/FTR setting system for consideration of fault report, which is would be unfortunate to say the least.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Puy11
(newbie) Wed 23-Sep-20 01:14:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sorry for the ignorance but is the throughput speed the speed (or around that) what I should be getting when running speed tests?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 23-Sep-20 01:46:48
Print Post

Not the speed you should get. The speed you are actually getting when running speed tests or in real use. Real use often being lower than speed tests of course, depending on the server.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 23-Sep-20 01:50:40
Print Post

As long as you don't mess around disconnecting and reconnecting to see if it will go faster, (you would almost certainly cause the opposite), depending on which make of cabinet you are on you might find the system (DLM) turns on G.INP that is mentioned in adslmax's stats, and re-connect you faster.

This can happen three times, increasing speed each time.

========================

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 23-Sep-20 01:52:25)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Sep-20 08:39:01
Print Post

If by throughput speed you mean connection (sync) speed as displayed in the routers web pages, then it is the case that you will only ever see 90 to 95% of that speed in terms of actual speeds on a PC connected with Ethernet to the router. Reason is protocol overheads.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to