User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Family71
(newbie) Fri 29-Jan-21 14:04:30
Print Post

Recommend a cheap good bridge router

[link to this post]

I am moving to Zen next month and a bit for fttc. I have a weak wifi spot in the house and am looking to setup a second router there which will be ethernet cable to the primary router fritz box.
Can anyone recommend a good not so expensive second router in order to do this?
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Fri 29-Jan-21 14:23:14
Print Post

Re: Recommend a cheap good bridge router

[re: Family71] [link to this post]

I'd move this question over to the Networking forum, I guess more people who know will be there than in the specific Zen area.
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Fri 29-Jan-21 14:33:07
Print Post

I would suggest getting the Fritz!Box setup and running first of all and see what your wi-fi is like. Mine is in the loft of my 3 bedroom semi. The wi-fi is so good over all three floors that I have switched the 2.4GHz network off altogether and just use 5GHz.

p.s. I would add that I get a good connection on 5GHz in some rooms whereas the wi-fi from previous routers connected at the same location were unuseable even on 2.4GHz.

plusnet FTTC 55/10
Using a Fritz!Box 7530

Edited by longedge (Fri 29-Jan-21 15:19:26)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-Jan-21 15:21:10
Print Post

Rather than a second router you should look for a wi-fi access point as you don't need routing functionality. You should choose a dual band access point for performance and to avoid problems with congestion on the 2.4GHz band which could come from neighbours.

Something like the Netgear WAC104-100UKS would be reasonably priced and shouldn't require a complicated configuration process. The TP-Link TL-WA1201 would also fit that category. I'd be inclined to go for the Netgear because it has multiple ethernet ports which would allow you to connect other devices to it if you needed to. I haven't tried either of these but they get reasonable reviews and they're from well known manufacturers.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User steve25
(newbie) Fri 29-Jan-21 17:00:16
Print Post

I use a 2nd FritzBox as a Mesh repeater, works well.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 30-Jan-21 15:45:14
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

+1

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Standard User hoopla
(committed) Fri 05-Feb-21 20:26:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by Family71:
I am moving to Zen next month and a bit for fttc. I have a weak wifi spot in the house and am looking to setup a second router there which will be ethernet cable to the primary router fritz box.
Can anyone recommend a good not so expensive second router in order to do this?
If you want to fill a hole in wifi coverage, you very definitely do not want a second router.

You should look at installing a wifi access point in the middle of the bad area, or (less good) a wifi repeater somewhere just outside the edge of the bad area.

If you don't want a network cable trailing, get a pair of Devolo units (one with wifi and ethernet over mains, the other without wifi).

Or reposition the router you have so that it is nearer the middle of the space it has to cover, and well up off the floor.

Edited by hoopla (Fri 05-Feb-21 20:27:47)

Print Thread

Jump to