User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User IHateADSL
(newbie) Fri 05-Feb-21 12:07:55
Print Post

Zen backhaul - Previous TalkTalk issues

[link to this post]

I've recently joined Sky but I'm finding their speeds a bit on the slow side (20-30Mb if I'm lucky) - I believe I'm still in my cooling off period so I'm looking for an alternative provider. I've been pondering Zen for a while now after hearing nothing but good things about them.

Sadly, I've also read that they either use BTW or TTB to provide their backhaul network. I've had issues with TalkTalk recently (no upload speed) which they were unable to fix which is why I left them for Sky - If I was to join Zen and they use TTB in my area, am I likely to experience the same issues I had when I was on TalkTalk directly?
Standard User Geordish
(regular) Fri 05-Feb-21 12:55:50
Print Post

Re: Zen backhaul - Previous TalkTalk issues

[re: IHateADSL] [link to this post]

My understanding is that TalkTalks backhaul for wholesalers is of a much higher quality than their residential offering. A&A offer connectivity by them, which I would not expect if the service they provided was terrible.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 05-Feb-21 14:43:32
Print Post

That's not what you said in November?
In reply to a post by IHateADSL:
I've got an order in at the moment to swap from TalkTalk to Sky (I have nothing against TalkTalk, I've not had a single issue in the 4 years I've been with them - I just want all my bills under one account to make it easier)
If something went wrong with the your line in between then and now, and your Sky connection is slow, (what did you get with TT pre-November?), I suggest you have a line problem that needs fixing.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MagicUK
(learned) Fri 05-Feb-21 14:58:53
Print Post

[re: Geordish] [link to this post]

im with TT residential up to 80mbs and its been bomb proof using my own hardware and mesh wifi setup.
Standard User MercuryRH2
(learned) Fri 05-Feb-21 15:17:46
Print Post

My Zen 80/20 FTTC service apparently uses TTB backhaul and generally it’s been pretty good. Zen’s Tech Support has proved first rate all the time I’ve been with them - almost three years now. Those issues that have arisen have been on the OR provided copper part.
Standard User wolvesmad
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-Feb-21 16:08:07
Print Post

[re: MagicUK] [link to this post]

Zen have their own backhaul too.

-

Sky Ultrafast FTTP 150
Standard User IHateADSL
(newbie) Sat 06-Feb-21 12:47:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That's not what you said in November?
In reply to a post by IHateADSL:
I've got an order in at the moment to swap from TalkTalk to Sky (I have nothing against TalkTalk, I've not had a single issue in the 4 years I've been with them - I just want all my bills under one account to make it easier)
If something went wrong with the your line in between then and now, and your Sky connection is slow, (what did you get with TT pre-November?), I suggest you have a line problem that needs fixing.

Literally 2 days after posting that my TalkTalk connection went tits up - I had multiple engineers out and they weren't able to fix the problem as the issue was with TalkTalk and not my line.

The issue I'm having with Sky is just slow speeds at peak times. I totally understand that people are working from home etc but I'd expect a reduction in speed to around 60Mb maybe from the 75Mb I get off-peak. Sadly it's a good day if I get 20Mb. Judging from the WiFi networks my phone picks up, everyone in the street has Sky which probably can't be helpful to the overall network congestion. My router syncs at the full 80/20 and I can hit 75/19 off-peak
  Print Thread

Jump to