User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Babylon5
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Mar-21 21:33:28
Print Post

Considering FTTP

[link to this post]

Hi everyone,

I'm currently on Zen Unlimited Fibre 2. FTTP is now available in my area and I'm considering upgrading. I've been with Zen for a long time (August 2002) and I'm keen to stay with them.

I've not been keeping up with developments so I'm looking for tips and advice on what's involved, things to consider, etc..

Some questions I would like to clear up:

1. What exactly can I expect if I order FTTC e.g. Full Fibre 500 i.e. what is involved in the installation, what sort of lead time is involved, etc.? Our current phone line comes in via a pole, and the Openreach guys working in the area recently have installed the fibre to the poles.

2. Would I be able to keep my existing Zen user account name and my existing IP address?

3. Do I need a new router? I currently have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 (not my first choice, but my Billion BiPac 7800N went pop and I needed a replacement quickly) - would this be suitable, or would I be better with a different router - if so, any recommendations?

4. Phone line - I assume this remains? I see there's an option for "Digital Voice" - is this an option worth taking?

TIA - I'll probably have further questions, but sorting these out will be a big help.

Mike
--
ZeN 8000 Active | Billion BiPAC 7800N Router
My Broadband Speed Test
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in
the universe is that it has never tried to contact us"
smile
Standard User tboorman
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-Mar-21 14:33:29
Print Post

Re: Considering FTTP

[re: Babylon5] [link to this post]

1. What exactly can I expect if I order FTTC e.g. Full Fibre 500 i.e. what is involved in the installation, what sort of lead time is involved, etc.? Our current phone line comes in via a pole, and the Openreach guys working in the area recently have installed the fibre to the poles.

Take a look at the section headed "What is the difference between a 1 Stage and 2 Stage FTTP install?" on the page https://www.thinkbroadband.com/guides/fibre-fttc-ftt....

2. Would I be able to keep my existing Zen user account name and my existing IP address?

I would imagine that these would not change, but you really need to speak to Zen about this.

3. Do I need a new router? I currently have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 (not my first choice, but my Billion BiPac 7800N went pop and I needed a replacement quickly) - would this be suitable, or would I be better with a different router - if so, any recommendations?

Your current router will be fine.

4. Phone line - I assume this remains? I see there's an option for "Digital Voice" - is this an option worth taking?

Zen can still provide traditional phone line rental with FTTP. Digital Voice is their VoIP offering which uses the phone port on the Fritz!Box router that they provide.
  Print Thread

Jump to