User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wytco0
(learned) Mon 08-Mar-21 15:18:51
Print Post

Alternative to Zen ?

[link to this post]

I am just ending a contract with TalkTalk and was thinking of joining Zen even though they are more expensive. Over the past few days, I have sent then several emails which have not been answered and on checking here I see this seems to be a common issue.

I have just phoned them to see if they can do anything about their price but they don't offer any incentives for new customers.

Zen has several things I like e.g. no increase in prices and a static IP, however, I am hesitant as they are (for me) about 25% more expensive.

Are there any other suppliers that I should look at, I am fed up with things like 3.5% plus above-inflation annual increases with the big players.
Standard User tboorman
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Mar-21 16:47:53
Print Post

Re: Alternative to Zen ?

[re: wytco0] [link to this post]

If you are looking for an ISP that has good customer service, take a look at https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/the-best-uk-br....
Standard User partial
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Mar-21 17:53:02
Print Post

[re: tboorman] [link to this post]

I would exercise extreme caution with the ISPReview best broadband isp as it is not evidence based and the editor appears to have plucked much of his ramblings out of thin air.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User chrisjam
(regular) Tue 09-Mar-21 18:42:55
Print Post

I have been with Zen on and off for many years.

They are not perfect but I think they are a reasonable compromise between price, quality and service.

Oddly I've found their sales team a little unresponsive over the years too. Conversely their support team is usually very good and definitely more responsive than sales. In fact, I spotted a problem on my line on Sunday afternoon. They replied to my support email on Monday, were sensible, helpful, didn't insist on following a script and are working with me on a diagnosis and fix.

What pre-sales query do you have? This forum may have the answer.
Standard User tboorman
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Mar-21 21:26:25
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

I do not think that you can argue that the ISPs listed in the link that I gave do not have a reputation for good customer service.
Standard User kingbiscit
(member) Wed 10-Mar-21 15:53:37
Print Post

I was with ZEN for a few years. Switched to SKY as it was literally less than half the price. Absolutely zero difference, latency is about the same and had zero issues.

With FTTC I'm really not sure its worth the premium anymore.
Standard User partial
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Mar-21 20:08:29
Print Post

[re: tboorman] [link to this post]

I'll argue smile

The editor of ISPReview has picked providers out of thin air. Provides no technical testing or any evidential support whatsoever.

Links are given to 'well reviewed providers' where the reviews aren't actually very good or haven't had any reviews in years.

Standard User ashdown
(regular) Wed 10-Mar-21 21:50:33
Print Post

[re: kingbiscit] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kingbiscit:
I was with ZEN for a few years. Switched to SKY as it was literally less than half the price. Absolutely zero difference

Two differences are static IP and IPv6 . These are important to some people and not to others but the price difference for those is worth it for me and I think Zen is the cheapest "good" ISP that provides both.
Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Thu 11-Mar-21 09:03:41
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by partial:
I'll argue smile

The editor of ISPReview has picked providers out of thin air. Provides no technical testing or any evidential support whatsoever.

Links are given to 'well reviewed providers' where the reviews aren't actually very good or haven't had any reviews in years.

That's literally from an article named "editors pick".

That's kind of the point of that article, it's his opinion.

ISPReview has a standard ISP rating section with customer reviews if the editors opinion offends you so much.

Edited by j0hn83 (Thu 11-Mar-21 09:04:09)

Standard User partial
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Mar-21 09:33:36
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

The OP has been advised to use the article to help find a provider. I advise that the article is not a good yardstick.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to