General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zebb_edi
(learned) Wed 05-Aug-20 08:08:57
Print Post

BQM advice?

[link to this post]

Recently had a fault on my line. Yesterday they replaced a 10m stretch of cable to the whole area and then closed my fault saying it was fixed but I'm still getting drops and the packet loss on the graph. Please can someone tell me if this still looks like a problem?

The 12pm drop is where the cable was swapped.

My Broadband Ping
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 05-Aug-20 13:26:27
Print Post

Re: BQM advice?

[re: zebb_edi] [link to this post]

Lots of baseline latency changes, suggesting DLM is playing with interleaving depths to reduce errors. Alternatively it may be the ISP is doing night time maintenance and this is changing routes.

Changing a section of cable will only fix things if the issue is down to that bit of cable.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Aug-20 13:28:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by zebb_edi:
Recently had a fault on my line. Yesterday they replaced a 10m stretch of cable to the whole area and then closed my fault saying it was fixed but I'm still getting drops and the packet loss on the graph. Please can someone tell me if this still looks like a problem?

Is this Virgin Media or Openreach, as the advice will be very different. You've not told us your ISP.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zebb_edi
(learned) Wed 05-Aug-20 13:31:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The dropped packets stood out to me. Should you normally see those?

It appears they have somehow messed up the cable swap as lots of people in the area are saying they are having a problem still and a few people have even somehow managed to have their numbers swapped to a neighbours by mistake.

I think my issue maybe elsewhere though as I never used to see those dropped packets.
Standard User zebb_edi
(learned) Wed 05-Aug-20 13:31:37
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Openreach and Zen
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 05-Aug-20 14:45:11
Print Post

If people have the wrong numbers now, then they have the wrong copper pair and unlikely any broadband would work, unless same ISP involved.

Your graph is not normal but hard to say if its down to a poor bit of cable or issues elsewhere.

if the cable locally is poor you will see this in the routers DSL stats and error counters and how long it is holding sync, but if those are good and errors low and the BQM looks like it does, then the ISP network might be the cause.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User zebb_edi
(learned) Wed 05-Aug-20 15:18:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

That's great thanks for the help.

The line has traditionally been extremely poor and I often receive millions of CRC errors and hundreds of FEC errors. Unfortunately Openreach stated there was nothing they could do a year or so ago, and we're due to get FTTP soon which is why i've desperately been trying to hassle others in the fibre channel hoping I can soon switch to that and forget about the copper side.
  Print Thread

Jump to