General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Spasch
(experienced) Mon 20-Dec-10 13:03:40
Print Post

Re: BT Availability Checker

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

This one should tell you (but it is subject to change)..
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-Dec-10 16:02:58
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Spasch:
This one should tell you (but it is subject to change)..

Which I think is the same as this:
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.Teleph...

James - be* pro, Sync DL: 17276kbps / UL:1317kbps at 24.5db on TG585v7 and 2820vn - BQM
Standard User WWWombat
(newbie) Mon 20-Dec-10 19:52:46
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I use this one: http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome.

I have more than just my own information to hand though... Before OpenReach embargoed the data, I used this map to show all the local post-codes, and the identity of the cabinet that provided service for that postcode.

I have that info jotted on a printout from Google Maps.

Then I put the various post-codes that share my cabinet into the checker, and could see how the speed predictions varied for both ADSL2+ and FTTC. That let me find out just where my cabinet was located (and no, it isn't the closest one to me), and then work out the routing for phones lines springing out of that cabinet.

Finally, as BT have started offering FTTC service from my exchange, I can use the same knowledge (and a few local phone numbers) to identify which cabinets have already been turned on.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pouser
(learned) Thu 23-Dec-10 16:30:31
Print Post

[re: Yerman164] [link to this post]

I am in Chesterfield Exchange too and notices this.

The cabinet on my street was installed at beginning of November. However it was only connected up to the electricity supply last week and engineers are working on it today. There are lots of cabinets still to be installed around the town and I would be surprised if the March 2011 date is realised.

One question here.....does the whole exchange go live on one day or can parts be done whilst the rest of the cabling is installed in other areas?
Standard User Zadeks
(regular) Fri 31-Dec-10 16:56:13
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

FTTC installed today!

Have you been able to place an order?
Standard User orly
(experienced) Fri 31-Dec-10 18:22:24
Print Post

[re: pouser] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pouser:
I am in Chesterfield Exchange too and notices this.

The cabinet on my street was installed at beginning of November. However it was only connected up to the electricity supply last week and engineers are working on it today. There are lots of cabinets still to be installed around the town and I would be surprised if the March 2011 date is realised.

One question here.....does the whole exchange go live on one day or can parts be done whilst the rest of the cabling is installed in other areas?

Done in stages

Note that not all cabinets on a given exchange will be upgraded depending on location and number of subscribers. I suspect BT do some sort of analysis to determine the number of broadband users currently connected to cabinets and see which are "popular"

In my town for example most of the cabinets done are on the edge of the exchange area as most people in the centre of town already have high-ish speeds from LLU and the fact their distance is lower. Those on the edge got FTTC first as speeds here were 4mbit or less. Few cabinets have been done inside our "ring road"

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
Connected to: P23 KILMAINE ROAD BT19 6DT (NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Previously:
BT Broadband, roughly 4mbit sync
4KM line / 54dB atten / 9dB SNR / Netgear DG834GT
Standard User WWWombat
(newbie) Wed 05-Jan-11 02:12:17
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Ooooh I'm jealous! How are the speeds going?

My date shifted (just before Christmas) to Mar 30th, and has resolutely sat at that date ever since. I suspect BT have been buying themselves some time.... or perhaps they've found a fault with my cabinet.

Did you get any useful info out of your installer?
Standard User foxycat
(regular) Wed 05-Jan-11 10:58:13
Print Post

[re: CHELSEACFC] [link to this post]

The date for my exchange has also just changed from 31st December to 31st March frown The new cabinets were installed before Christmas and they've been laying cables since last summer...
This sudden 3 month delay is very disappointing frown
Standard User Zadeks
(regular) Wed 05-Jan-11 20:28:12
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

We're synced at 40 Mb/s down and 10Mb/s up. I wouldn't be surprised if BT are planning to add extra capacity as speeds suffer at peak time (Zen).

I didn't get much out of the engineer as he wasn't very knowledgeable. Fingers crossed your date is brought forward.
Standard User vbed
(newbie) Thu 06-Jan-11 23:35:16
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Hi,

Don't reguarly post on tbb, I'm more of a lurker but just wanted to post for those of you who that have had their go-live dates - don't give up hope!

When this thread first started my exchange also moved all of a sudden from the end of December 2010 to end of March 2011. However 3 or 4 days later it suddenly changed again to the 22nd of December, without explanation. Even after BT had emailed me to apologise and more or less say "beyond our control, please accept our apologies blah blah but March it now is"

I placed an order on the 24th and its being installed next week fingers crossed.

So in my opinion its just BT overstretched - not enough engineers to get the cabinets live and in turn switch end users on - plus the bitterly cold weather we've been having I think they are just human and mis-judging how quickly they can roll out

Easy for me to say now that I have FTTC ordered but dont give up hope just yet as you'll probably get it sooner than you think.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to