General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User seank1990
(newbie) Thu 16-Dec-10 09:32:42
Print Post

BT Availability Checker

[link to this post]

My FTCC date was the 31st of december and has been for ages but i have checked it today and it now says

Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st March 2011. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 32.7Mbps and upstream line speed of 7.5Mbps.

why have they changed the date my new FTTC cabinet has been there for months now and so has all the other new boxes in my town Droitwich what is going on
Standard User Yerman164
(newbie) Thu 16-Dec-10 09:49:22
Print Post

Re: BT Availability Checker

[re: seank1990] [link to this post]

I've got the same this morning for Chesterfield exchange. It has been 31st Dec on the checker for months and then it's suddenly changed to March 2011 this morning. The vast majority of cabinets near me have had a new FTTC cab next to them for weeks so I have no idea what they're playing at.
Standard User comsurg
(newbie) Thu 16-Dec-10 10:16:16
Print Post

Same thing has happened with Tunbridge Wells - has had an RFC date of 31 Dec 2010 for months. I even spoke to BT on Tuesday afternoon about getting Infinity and they confirmed the date was still 31 Dec and that they would call me in the new year to sign up.

The following day the RFC has changed to 31 Mar 2011 along with loads of other exchanges. There doesn't appear to be any official word from BT as to why this has happened.

I can understand inevitable delays creeping in - stuff happens, but it seems odd that all these exchanges have suddenly jumped by 3 months, rather than one by a few weeks, another by a month etc. Perhaps the new RFC is a worst case scenario and the exchanges affected may come online ahead of time.

Maybe we will see an official word in the news section soon?

Cheers
Colin

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User seank1990
(newbie) Thu 16-Dec-10 10:19:46
Print Post

[re: comsurg] [link to this post]

i hope its just a mess up on there checker or something because i cant wait another 3 months as i only get 1.7mb and the 30+ i will get with infinity would be very good specially for downloading xbox films and games
Standard User comsurg
(newbie) Thu 16-Dec-10 10:29:42
Print Post

Well, that's what I was wondering - a screwup on the checker database (and it's always been soooo accurate in the past!!!)

We get around 0.9MBit/sec down and 500kbit/sec up - desparately need FTTC for customers as their needs have outgrown what is currently available. A fibre optic leased line is way too expensive - cheaper to move premises.

Hopefully we'll all get some clearer answers soon.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 16-Dec-10 10:36:26
Print Post

Twickenham / LWTWI in South-West London has also been pushed back 3 months from March to June.
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Dec-10 10:44:14
Print Post

Mine was originally March '11 but got changed to 31st Dec '10, which is 16 days away and no FTTC cabs have been fitted yet so I don't see them meeting their own deadline frown

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be*
Far too many computers, 1 Wife, 3 Maine Coons and too many horses smile
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 16-Dec-10 11:28:38
Print Post

Looks like you're going to have to wait, I'm sure you'll survive! The alternatives, moving house, personal fibre install, might prove a bit expensive in the interim!

My date has now gone from 31st Dec to 31st Mar despite all the cabs in my area seemingly having been completed. I would have thought it's a case of dates being pushed back to the next quarter and BT will not provide more specific dates, some will happen before others over the first quarter of 2011. Whilst a little frustrating it will be here soon, I've lived with 1Mbit for 5 years, another couple of months won't hurt.
Standard User parish
(experienced) Thu 16-Dec-10 13:07:46
Print Post

My exchange (SSTRO, Trowbridge) also moved from Dec '10 to Mar '11 overnight. This is the second time it's happened when we've got within a couple of weeks of the RFS date - was originally Sept '10.

I keep seeing OR vans around the area towing trailers with large cable drums on so I'm guessing they are actually doing something, although what exactly I'm not sure.
Standard User Dash
(learned) Thu 16-Dec-10 15:15:13
Print Post

I spoke to my ISP the other day and they confirmed 31 Dec the same as the checker - but yes, today it's gone to 31st March.

Good old BT, never delivering on their promises - and yes, mine was end of September originally. frown
Standard User WWWombat
(newbie) Thu 16-Dec-10 16:01:36
Print Post

[re: Dash] [link to this post]

On OpenReach's roll-out document, our exchange (Brookwood, Surrey, THBO) was down for Sept 2010 and changed in last month's to "accepting CP orders now" (and is still that status in yesterday's updated document).

The local cabinets are in, and have had power since mid-October.

Until last week, the availability checker had reported a cabinet date of March 2011 (and ADSL2+ of May 2011). Last week those 2 dates were brought foward to Dec 2010 and Jan 2011 respectively (and all dates from the "phone-number" variant of the checker).

Today, I seem to have drawn the short straw. The FTTC date has now gone back to June 2011, and the ADSL2+ speed has dropped down to 9MB. Hardly worth getting excited about...

Some phone numbers have gone one step worse... they were reported to actually have FTTC availability last week, and they too have gone back to June 2011.

The real question is... are these real dates that have been put back? Or where they placeholder dates because they didn't know... and now the default placeholder has changed from Dec 2010 to Jun 2011?

Frustrating though, to not have one reasonable straight story.
Standard User Zadeks
(regular) Thu 16-Dec-10 18:36:48
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

We're on the Brookwood exchange. We managed to place an order on Monday for Zen Fibre. We have an installation date of 31st December. I have just queried the checker and discovered that the date has changed to June 2011. I have mailed Zen, I bet it'll be bad news.
Standard User ffox
(member) Thu 16-Dec-10 19:28:38
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Mine (EMSTIVE) has slipped too. Does anybody who was expecting 31st December still expect 31st December?

Xilo C&W LLU, Netgear DG834 PN, St Ives Cambs
Standard User WWWombat
(newbie) Thu 16-Dec-10 22:43:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zadeks:
We're on the Brookwood exchange. We managed to place an order on Monday for Zen Fibre. We have an installation date of 31st December. I have just queried the checker and discovered that the date has changed to June 2011. I have mailed Zen, I bet it'll be bad news.

Ooof. I'll keep my fingers crossed - you might just get our dates restored!
Standard User seank1990
(newbie) Fri 17-Dec-10 10:58:19
Print Post

i checked the checker early this morning and it said march checked it 5 mins ago and they have put my date back to December again hope they don't change again also checked worcester which use to be set to December but is still set to march Has anybody else's changed back to its original date

Edited by seank1990 (Fri 17-Dec-10 11:37:12)

Standard User WWWombat
(newbie) Fri 17-Dec-10 11:53:45
Print Post

I checked earlier this morning, and it was still June 2011.

However, I just checked (11:50AM), and it (Brookwood, THBO) has returned to December 2010 for my cabinet, and for some neighbours on other cabinets has returned to being available immediately.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 17-Dec-10 12:02:29
Print Post

Still March here.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User seank1990
(newbie) Fri 17-Dec-10 13:21:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Just checked the bt checker again and it's gone from 31st December and now says i will have it on the 3rd of January 2011 i hope that's the date now cant wait bring on the 3rd of January has anybody else's changed but i just checked my nan's number who is on a different cab to me and it still says 31st of December what's going on

Edited by seank1990 (Fri 17-Dec-10 13:24:51)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 17-Dec-10 13:29:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by seank1990:
what's going on
Bt Total Chaos.

Mine has now changed again.

All reference to FTTC on the BTW phone number checker has gone, and the BT Broadband Infinity one once again says "BT Infinity is not currently due to be rolled out in your area.Register and we will keep you up to date about the BT Infinity rollout".

So I expect later today the BTW one will show some date or other and Infinity will reflect it.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 17-Dec-10 14:27:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Could it be that the BT Checker website has been inlfiltrated by a virus and that someone, or some organisation, is merely having a laugh at our expense?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 17-Dec-10 14:43:44
Print Post

[re: meditator] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by meditator:
Could it be that the BT Checker website has been inlfiltrated by a virus and that someone, or some organisation, is merely having a laugh at our expense?
BT?

Standard User WWWombat
(newbie) Fri 17-Dec-10 17:15:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by seank1990:
now says i will have it on the 3rd of January 2011

That is apparently good news... A date of the end of the month is likely to be a rough placeholder, when they're not quite sure when it will be ready.

But a specific date that isn't the end of the month *is* likely to be the real date.

That's what I'd heard, and I hope I'm not talking spherical-shaped objects.

Edited by WWWombat (Fri 17-Dec-10 17:16:40)

Standard User Squirrel
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 17-Dec-10 18:04:25
Print Post

[re: ffox] [link to this post]

Mine has changed from Dec 31 to Jan 15 so only an extra couple of weeks

Ian Stirling

O2 Broadband Standard
Standard User Zadeks
(regular) Fri 17-Dec-10 18:12:20
Print Post

Good news. My cabinet is now "live" again. Zen have confirmed the install date as the 31st December. I can't wait!

I have also received the "good news, Infinity is now in your area" email from BT. I hope you're able to order soon!
Standard User CHELSEACFC
(newbie) Fri 17-Dec-10 18:36:33
Print Post

Well mine has suddenly today changed to 30th March 2011 from 31st Dec 2010 but Putney Exchange is supposely LIVE now? BT are a total joke!
Standard User seank1990
(newbie) Fri 17-Dec-10 19:22:06
Print Post

[re: Squirrel] [link to this post]

Mine was one of the first boxes to be complete box number 9 in my town of Droitwich and my date is now set for 3rd January but i have checked about 8 other numbers all connected to different cabinets and they all seem to still have a date of 31st December and some say that they will not be getting it is that Good news for me to have such a specific date of 3rd January i hope so
Standard User olisun
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 17-Dec-10 21:23:15
Print Post

[re: CHELSEACFC] [link to this post]

I have tried the BT wholesale checker as well as the Infinity site and the results never returned anything back in relation to FTTC...
Standard User CHELSEACFC
(newbie) Mon 20-Dec-10 11:09:51
Print Post

I would like to know why my cabinet orignally was planned to have FTTC on 31st Sept 2010, then changed to 31st Dec, and now is 30th March 2011 6 months late??

Edited by CHELSEACFC (Mon 20-Dec-10 11:40:01)

Standard User WWWombat
(newbie) Mon 20-Dec-10 12:40:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by CHELSEACFC:
I would like to know why my cabinet orignally was planned to have FTTC on 31st Sept 2010, then changed to 31st Dec, and now is 30th March 2011 6 months late??
Because BT's engineers are too lazy, and their management don't make them do any work!

Or perhaps (and rather more likely) they've encountered problems, and can't do your exchange and/or cabinet as easily or as quickly as they originally thought. Maybe it is the ducting, power, planning, council, or something totally unexpected. Perhaps the engineers had to divert to some emergency work. Perhaps the initial cabinets have shown some problem.

Remember when BT ran their recent FTTP pilot, them came out of that having only reached 2/3 of their target because of the physical problems in getting fibre installed to the other 1/3.

It isn't always plain sailing, and it isn't always BT's fault, and even less likely to be the installation engineers fault either...

Just hope that they don't decide the problems can't be overcome, and take away the planned date totally!

It's hard to accept, but patience is definitely needed.

(PS. In case it isn't obvious, the first answer above is irony. I know it isn't true...)
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 20-Dec-10 12:49:24
Print Post

Chaps can I ask where exactly you are all getting the information on your specific cabinets being enabled/going to be enabled? Is there some sort of cab checker?
Standard User Spasch
(experienced) Mon 20-Dec-10 13:03:40
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

This one should tell you (but it is subject to change)..
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-Dec-10 16:02:58
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Spasch:
This one should tell you (but it is subject to change)..

Which I think is the same as this:
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.Teleph...

James - be* pro, Sync DL: 17276kbps / UL:1317kbps at 24.5db on TG585v7 and 2820vn - BQM
Standard User WWWombat
(newbie) Mon 20-Dec-10 19:52:46
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I use this one: http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome.

I have more than just my own information to hand though... Before OpenReach embargoed the data, I used this map to show all the local post-codes, and the identity of the cabinet that provided service for that postcode.

I have that info jotted on a printout from Google Maps.

Then I put the various post-codes that share my cabinet into the checker, and could see how the speed predictions varied for both ADSL2+ and FTTC. That let me find out just where my cabinet was located (and no, it isn't the closest one to me), and then work out the routing for phones lines springing out of that cabinet.

Finally, as BT have started offering FTTC service from my exchange, I can use the same knowledge (and a few local phone numbers) to identify which cabinets have already been turned on.
Standard User pouser
(learned) Thu 23-Dec-10 16:30:31
Print Post

[re: Yerman164] [link to this post]

I am in Chesterfield Exchange too and notices this.

The cabinet on my street was installed at beginning of November. However it was only connected up to the electricity supply last week and engineers are working on it today. There are lots of cabinets still to be installed around the town and I would be surprised if the March 2011 date is realised.

One question here.....does the whole exchange go live on one day or can parts be done whilst the rest of the cabling is installed in other areas?
Standard User Zadeks
(regular) Fri 31-Dec-10 16:56:13
Print Post

FTTC installed today!

Have you been able to place an order?
Standard User orly
(experienced) Fri 31-Dec-10 18:22:24
Print Post

[re: pouser] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pouser:
I am in Chesterfield Exchange too and notices this.

The cabinet on my street was installed at beginning of November. However it was only connected up to the electricity supply last week and engineers are working on it today. There are lots of cabinets still to be installed around the town and I would be surprised if the March 2011 date is realised.

One question here.....does the whole exchange go live on one day or can parts be done whilst the rest of the cabling is installed in other areas?

Done in stages

Note that not all cabinets on a given exchange will be upgraded depending on location and number of subscribers. I suspect BT do some sort of analysis to determine the number of broadband users currently connected to cabinets and see which are "popular"

In my town for example most of the cabinets done are on the edge of the exchange area as most people in the centre of town already have high-ish speeds from LLU and the fact their distance is lower. Those on the edge got FTTC first as speeds here were 4mbit or less. Few cabinets have been done inside our "ring road"

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
Connected to: P23 KILMAINE ROAD BT19 6DT (NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Previously:
BT Broadband, roughly 4mbit sync
4KM line / 54dB atten / 9dB SNR / Netgear DG834GT
Standard User WWWombat
(newbie) Wed 05-Jan-11 02:12:17
Print Post

Ooooh I'm jealous! How are the speeds going?

My date shifted (just before Christmas) to Mar 30th, and has resolutely sat at that date ever since. I suspect BT have been buying themselves some time.... or perhaps they've found a fault with my cabinet.

Did you get any useful info out of your installer?
Standard User foxycat
(regular) Wed 05-Jan-11 10:58:13
Print Post

The date for my exchange has also just changed from 31st December to 31st March frown The new cabinets were installed before Christmas and they've been laying cables since last summer...
This sudden 3 month delay is very disappointing frown
Standard User Zadeks
(regular) Wed 05-Jan-11 20:28:12
Print Post

We're synced at 40 Mb/s down and 10Mb/s up. I wouldn't be surprised if BT are planning to add extra capacity as speeds suffer at peak time (Zen).

I didn't get much out of the engineer as he wasn't very knowledgeable. Fingers crossed your date is brought forward.
Standard User vbed
(newbie) Thu 06-Jan-11 23:35:16
Print Post

Hi,

Don't reguarly post on tbb, I'm more of a lurker but just wanted to post for those of you who that have had their go-live dates - don't give up hope!

When this thread first started my exchange also moved all of a sudden from the end of December 2010 to end of March 2011. However 3 or 4 days later it suddenly changed again to the 22nd of December, without explanation. Even after BT had emailed me to apologise and more or less say "beyond our control, please accept our apologies blah blah but March it now is"

I placed an order on the 24th and its being installed next week fingers crossed.

So in my opinion its just BT overstretched - not enough engineers to get the cabinets live and in turn switch end users on - plus the bitterly cold weather we've been having I think they are just human and mis-judging how quickly they can roll out

Easy for me to say now that I have FTTC ordered but dont give up hope just yet as you'll probably get it sooner than you think.
Standard User WWWombat
(newbie) Fri 07-Jan-11 02:54:57
Print Post

[re: vbed] [link to this post]

Sad as I am, I'm still performing frequent checks on the DSL checker. If BT pull the trigger, I want to get it ordered before they change their minds....
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to