General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User asbokid
(regular) Sat 14-Jan-12 18:44:36
Print Post

Re: Profile Steps

[re: ChriX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ChriX:
No problem, I wonder if there is a link with the equipment used for the cabinet and modem, as I also seem to be the only person on the forum running an ECI modem instead of the Huawei.

Any chance you could take some photos of the PCB in the ECI?

In BT's Care in the Community forum there are two more people with ECI FTTC modems.. [1]

A Russian blog confirms that the chipset of the ECI ONT unit for FTTP is a MIPS-based device from Broadlight. [2]

Broadlight has its R&D facility headquartered in Israel and has collaborated with ECI for some years, so best guess is that the chipset in the ECI FTTC unit supplied by Openreach is from the Broadlight Helios processor family. [3]

cheers, a

[1] http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/BT-Infinity-O...
[2] http://darkbyte.ru/2011/9/eci-b-focus-o-4f2p/
[3] http://www.broadlight.com/products/helios-processors

Edited by asbokid (Sat 14-Jan-12 19:10:51)

Standard User Croftie
(member) Sun 15-Jan-12 01:36:49
Print Post

[re: ChriX] [link to this post]

Interesting, I wonder if max profile on the ECI modem is 38718 but on the Huawei 38717.
Standard User Croftie
(member) Sun 15-Jan-12 01:39:15
Print Post

[re: Bald_Eagle1] [link to this post]

Hi Bald_Eagle, first in the 27*** range.. added to the list, thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Croftie
(member) Sun 15-Jan-12 01:39:34
Print Post

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

Thanks nelix, there is a link to the full list on pastbin a couple of posts above.
Standard User JoshShep
(newbie) Tue 17-Jan-12 15:55:43
Print Post

[re: Croftie] [link to this post]

Just thought I'd make a member on here because I also have an ECI modem. The model number is: B-FOCuS v-2FUb/I Rev. B

It's interesting that there are different models but I have also been experiencing frequent disconnections every evening. my ISP is TalkTalk and have had issues for over a month. I thought the dropouts were due to the modem but I could be wrong.
Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(member) Tue 17-Jan-12 16:59:14
Print Post

Hi Croftie,

In reply to a post by Croftie:
Hi Bald_Eagle, first in the 27*** range.. added to the list, thanks

Here's another "first" for you then:-

Only 22497 k today (following a few uninitiated re-syncs yesterday that were bad enough this time to cause the PPP session & IP adresses to change)

It actually synced as low as 18104 k for a while, but I wasn't at home at the time to grab the IP Profile.

Paul.
Standard User Croftie
(member) Wed 18-Jan-12 04:24:13
Print Post

Still haveing problems! Sorry to hear that. I would seriously be thinking about an ISP move by now.
Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(member) Wed 18-Jan-12 08:31:38
Print Post

@ Croftie,

I am only 7 months into an 18 month contract, with cessation charges if I changed ISP.

IMO, connection problems really rest with BT though, as they are resposible for the infrastructure.

My ISP has been quite supportive, organising numerous engineer visits whenever I have been able to prove further faults etc.

BT just won't respond though if a connection "appears" stable & it exceeds their own conservative speed estimates, falling within their "acceptable" performance limits.

Faults are all so much harder to prove with ISPs not having access to full diagnosis tools for VDSL2 connections & users having to use "locked" modems with no "official" means of monitoring their own connection statistics etc.

I have an unlocked HG612 modem & have developed Windows versions of the linux scripts & tools to monitor ALL my connection's stats, either on demand whenever I wish to generate snapshot stats/graphs and my ongoing/changing stats 24/7 via data logs that are harvested every minute (a little like RouterStats).

It is only being able to provide these stats/graphs that has enabled my ISP to keep pushing BT to rectify the faults (a bit at a time) on my connection.

The tools currently available to ISPs simply do not record most of our connection re-syncs, changes in SNRM levels, excessive corrected & uncorrected error counts, connection time between re-syncs at varying speeds etc. as these type of re-syncs are so quick from disconnection to reconnection (less than 20 seconds) & don't drop the PPP session or change the dynamically allocated IP address.

ISPs can/do blissfully & genuinely believe that connections are perfectly stable, when in reality the complete opposite may be the case.

If anyone wishes to try out the Windows only versions of the scripts I mentioned above, they can be downloaded via this link:-

Huawei HG612 graphing scripts

graph.sh is the Linux version that can also be used via a Linux scripting shell such as Cygwin on a Windows machine.

The Windows only version is hg612_wingraphs.zip (no need to install any Linux shells).

Prior to downloading or using the Windows versions I advise reading the summary of what the scripts actually do (hg612_wingraphs_SUMMARY.TXT).

The Windows only scripts have been fully tested on Windows 7 & Vista machines, & will probably work (a bit slower) on XP machines.

A tiny edit of one batch file is required to ensure that fonts are displayed at the correct style/size for Vista (& presumably XP).

If anyone tries these out, I would appreciate some feedback on the setting up process & general use of them.

It would also be good to see a few example graphs, for different connection comparison purposes

Full setting up instructions & links to various other required program downloads are included in the zip file.

Once set up, a simple double-click on the relevant batch file icon will generate the graphs from the ongoing log or harvest current stats & generate the snapshot graphs, storing the output in dated subfolders for future reference.

There is also an easy method of generating graphs from previous log files (preferably but not essentially PuTTy.log), although some of the graphs/text data will be absent if not all the relevant data was included in the previous log file.

Due to how the Windows scripts operate, there is no longer a requirement to manually login to a Telnet session, or the modem itself.

Paul.

Snapshot Example Graphs

Ongoing Example Graphs

Edited by Bald_Eagle1 (Wed 18-Jan-12 08:53:50)

Standard User Croftie
(member) Wed 18-Jan-12 23:46:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by Bald_Eagle1:
IMO, connection problems really rest with BT though, as they are resposible for the infrastructure.

I agree, isn't there an ISP that has more success than most in getting BT to fix stuff they would otherwise ignor. I think it was A&A. Unless your ISP would release you early though that's not much use ATM.
Standard User lee111s
(newbie) Thu 19-Jan-12 02:15:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by Bald_Eagle1:

Openreach own the infrastructure. There's no such thing as "BT being responsible" any more. BT don't own and maintain the lines, Openreach do.

Each ISP has equal access to both BT Wholesale and Openreach to deal with broadband issues. While one ISP may seem to have better results in getting things sorted, ultimately, regardless of which ISP you are with it'll be the same Openreach engineers who visit.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to