General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User asbokid
(regular) Thu 19-Jan-12 17:10:43
Print Post

Re: Profile Steps

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by lee111s:
The CEO will be appointed by the board of directors.
Of which UK listed company? I doubt if Openreach has a "Board" in the legal sense, though I'm prepared to be proved wrong about that.

From the BT Openreach Frequently Asked Questions (retrieved from [1], with a slightly different version at [2]):
Q17 Does Openreach have its own Board and a Chairman?
No.

Q18 Does Openreach have its own capital budget and autonomy over the investments it makes?
Openreach has an annual operating plan which it agrees with the BT Group CEO. The CEO of Openreach has delegated authority from the BT Group plc Board to authorise capital expenditure up to a certain limit within that annual operating plan.

Q19 Does the chairmanship of the EAB [Equality of Access Board] rotate or is Carl [Symon] the permanent chairman?
The Undertakings require the Chairman of the EAB to be a BT Group plc non-executive director. Carl Symon is the first Chairman but this is not necessarily a permanent appointment. [...]

Q21 Does the Openreach CEO report to the BT CEO? Doesn't that affect his/her neutrality?
The Openreach CEO does report to the BT CEO, but this doesn't affect his/her commitment to treat all Communications Providers equally.

The structure of the BT Group, including the BT Openreach subsidiary, is found in the 2011 Annual Report for the Group. The Report can be retrieved from [3].

On page 60 of the hefty tome is an identity parade of the current BT board and their remuneration packages. Nice work if can get it!

cheers, a

[1] http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/helpandsupport/...
[2] http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/helpandsupport/...
[3] http://www.btplc.com/Sharesandperformance/Annualrepo...
Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(member) Thu 19-Jan-12 17:43:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Output power is usually a negotiation between MSAN and modem, with the MSAN working to cabinet wide limits, i.e. wont rob power from one line to give another more.

I just wonder if it is possible that when FTTC was installed (from what I can gather, I was one of the first FTTC users connected to my cabinet), the output Power was higher, allowing faster speeds over my own line length.

It may have taken a month before whatever it was reduced the Output Power?

If my D-side has actually been fixed, to be in at least the same or better condition as it was when FTTC was installed, I can think of no other explanation as to why my higher speeds have not returned.

Currently my modem's GUI reports:-
DS Output Power - 12.1 dBmV
US Output Power - 6.3 dBmV

I don't know what values could be classed as "typical" though

Edited by Bald_Eagle1 (Thu 19-Jan-12 17:44:24)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Jan-12 18:54:22
Print Post

[re: Bald_Eagle1] [link to this post]

What if 40Mb is just about available inside the FIBRE cabinet, or even at the other end of the patch cable, but it just doesn't have sufficient power to push it a few hundred yards without losing 10Mb to 20Mb on its way?
Who could/would investigate that?

There are PW guys who go check for this kind of stuff. You get a duff port, then it's a lift and shift to fix it. Then they'll come take a look at faulty ports once they have a couple marked as faulty.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(member) Thu 19-Jan-12 20:08:04
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Hi Zarjaz,

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
There are PW guys who go check for this kind of stuff. You get a duff port, then it's a lift and shift to fix it. Then they'll come take a look at faulty ports once they have a couple marked as faulty.

Sorry for showing my ignorance, but who/what is a PW guy?

I'm supposedly somewhere between 800m & 1000m from the cab.

You have mentioned in a previous post that you have seen as high as the full 40Mb, & as low as 16Mb over 1000m.
Assuming the 16Mb connection had no obvious faults, I guess it included a fair bit of aluminium?

If I hadn't been able to actually download at 32Mb - 33Mb for the first month (outside busy periods), I suppose I would be "reasonably" happy with the 26Mb or 27Mb that I can usually achieve nowadays.

In my mind, my 33Mb download speed would suggest an IP profile of around 34Mb, with a sync speed of around 35Mb as there appears to be very little loss from sync speeds for FTTC connections.

34Mb - 35Mb is what the installation engineer told me I should achieve & mentioned that it looked about right for my distance from the cab, although he didn't actually mention the distance at that time.

I was that excited to have gone from 1Mb to 33Mb within the space of a couple of hours that I didn't think to ask him smile
That was back in June, on the 8c profile.

I have experienced a catalogue of faults on my D-side, all supposedly fixed between August & November.

I had a few disconnections one day earlier this week, when the connection finally settled at a sync speed of around 23.2Mb for a couple of days.
My ISP recommended a re-sync yesterday & my sync speed is currently 27.8Mb.

I have not been able to sync at over 30Mb since July, despite the switch to the 17a profile which appears to have given almost everyone else previously syncing below 40Mb quite a decent DS boost, at the expense of a slight US loss.

It's probably a little unreasonable to put you on the spot, but do you have any practical suggestions as to what I can do or say to my ISP to get them to organise yet another engineer's visit to hopefully bottom this low speed/instability issue once & for all?

Having logged my connection's stats for a couple of months, I have provided very, very detailed stats & graphs to my ISP, which actually did prompt the latest engineer's visit in November.
However I do still experience occasional sudden & massive error count bursts (up to 2.5Million CRC/RSUNCorr type errors within the space of a couple of minutes).
Quite often, these coincide with the connection re-syncing (usually at a lower speed).

My ISP now believes my connection is within BT's (or BT OR's) acceptable speed & stability limits & they currently have no plans to organise any further engineer visits.

Paul.

Edited by Bald_Eagle1 (Thu 19-Jan-12 22:02:41)

Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Thu 19-Jan-12 20:12:26
Print Post

There are PW guys who go check for this kind of stuff.
Hi Zarjaz,

As b*cat is a little bit dim today, would you expand the abbreviation PW, please?

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User Moradin
(learned) Thu 19-Jan-12 21:58:47
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Public Works ? or Private Wire ?

New acronym though..

Who is your local Openreach CE ?

(Community Engineer) !

-----------------------------------------------
December PCP to postcode checker
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapi...
My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Moradin (Thu 19-Jan-12 22:15:50)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Jan-12 20:32:01
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Private Wire.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Jan-12 20:33:42
Print Post

[re: Moradin] [link to this post]

New acronym, old role, I was a community engineer 15 years ago.

Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Fri 20-Jan-12 22:06:08
Print Post

Private Wire.
Thank you.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to