General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Scoot
(regular) Mon 16-Apr-12 01:13:20
Print Post

Upload Stuck?

[link to this post]

HI all,
Been upgraded to 80/20 and my upload hasn't changed.

Speed Test stats here: http://www.speedtest.net/result/1896498651.png

My line stats in the Huawei are:

Downstream - Line rate (kbit/s) - 79999
Upstream - Line rate (kbit/s) - 20000

Any ideas? guess I should wait for the 10 days training period?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 16-Apr-12 08:34:27
Print Post

Re: Upload Stuck?

[re: Scoot] [link to this post]

There is no 10-day training period on FTTC!

Please run a BT Performance Test and post the results from the two text boxes.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User Scoot
(regular) Mon 16-Apr-12 15:44:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Download speedachieved during the test was - 26 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-77.43 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.43 Mbps

and

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 9.35Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

Cant say I trust the Speed Test sites as they have been fluctuating terrible, yet if I download from my works server on an SSL connection i get 8.8Mbps down.

Upload still hasn't increased much though.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 16-Apr-12 19:05:12
Print Post

smile
We needed to see the IP Profiles. Those show there is no apparent limitation set within the system.

Are you testing using ethernet, wireless or Homeplugs to connect to the Home Hub? It's noticeable how much lower your downstream speed is this time as well.

Which exchange is it as well? There could be a problem there.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Standard User Scoot
(regular) Mon 16-Apr-12 19:47:46
Print Post

Testing using Ethernet obviously not being sarcastic I know some users might be whining about wireless speeds. Also when only that Ethernet connection is in use.

My download speed on FTP SSL has been great but the upload isn't getting above 9mb yet I'm sync'd at 20000 and my IP Profile is fine.

Speed tests differ each time from as low as 20mb to 70mb.

My exchange is WMWR Worcester
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 16-Apr-12 21:35:02
Print Post

Just checked for VP congestion on that exchange. Green. Stuck frown.

As for
Testing using Ethernet obviously
there's nothing obvious about it at all except to you. What you are seeing indicates wireless as a highly possible cause, but now the rest of us know that has been ruled out. Assuming you don't mean ethernet over homeplugs tongue smile.

Standard User Scoot
(regular) Mon 16-Apr-12 22:01:31
Print Post

So no better off knowing why my upload hasn't improved then?

The sync suggest it should be better, its no huge problem as I dont upload a lot but its annoying to know there is a problem somewhere.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 16-Apr-12 22:05:50
Print Post

Apparently the BT speed tester is being silly recently, but whether that is relevant or not I don't know.

Have you re-booted both the modem and your router? That seems to correct oddities for some people.

Standard User Scoot
(member) Mon 16-Apr-12 22:10:44
Print Post

I noticed the Sync rate had changed to 79999/20000 in the Huawei modem stats but I was seeing no benefits, so I rebooted the Modem and Hub and the download speed went full blast at 8.8MB/s.

After seeing no increased Upload rate after that reboot, I have rebooted the modem and the hub 2 more times since my Upgrade went through and then proceeded to post on here.

Edited by Scoot (Mon 16-Apr-12 22:11:34)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 16-Apr-12 22:17:02
Print Post

Careful with the reboots. You may get a profile cap. (Banded profile).

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 16-Apr-12 22:17:38)

Standard User Scoot
(member) Mon 16-Apr-12 22:24:16
Print Post

Yeah not planning on anymore seeing as the sync is high enough and my down rate is fine. I might just bare with this as if I contact BT they might change my profile or make things worse.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 16-Apr-12 22:28:36
Print Post

I have the exact same issue. My speeds are supposed to be 54/13 but the upload hasnt changed much from 6.4mbit. It appears to have only gone up to 6.7mbits.

Been on phone with BT who assure me the work has been completed, although i was told it takes 10 days (but surely i would have noticed a bigger change after 3 days?)

Any ideas? Seen a post about N.Ireland upgrade as being a waste of time for Infinity 2 (where i am from)
Standard User Scoot
(member) Tue 17-Apr-12 20:47:56
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Wish I could help mate, but im in the same position.

I dont think it matters where you are from regards the upgrade being a waste of time. All comes down to your line length and stats at the end of the day. Apparently there is no 10 day training period on FTTC so the advisor on the phone told you rubbish.

Read above and try reboot your WHITE open world modem and the BT hub, just dont do it too many times as it can drop your IP profile.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 18-Apr-12 16:52:20
Print Post

Tried the bt speedtester website. BT havent upgraded my infinity at all. Must have rang them 6 times since launch. Says i am still on the old profile of 39.16 mbits instead of 76!

According to the helpdesk it is a line mismatch error at the exchange and will be sorted tomorrow (thats what they were supposed to do by today)

So if you upload speed didnt change try the bt speedtester website/diagnostics and it will tell you if your profile has been upgraded - its simple to do.

Now all i have to do if wait until BT listen to what i am trying to tell them - that even though their saled department say i have been upgraded - in fact i havent!
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Wed 18-Apr-12 20:58:43
Print Post

39.16? That's not possible on a 40 meg service, highest is 38.72, so that suggests you _have_ been upgraded.

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 18-Apr-12 23:17:34
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Not an expert but when i told the level 2 technical support team they agreed with me that 39.16 meant i wasnt upgraded and there is an issue. My estimated speed should be 54 meg down 13 up.

When i asked them if it should show about 76 or so they said yes i was correct! I am not trying to start an argument but 39 mbits on a 54 meg estimate is wrong.
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Thu 19-Apr-12 17:07:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Not an expert but when i told the level 2 technical support team they agreed with me that 39.16 meant i wasnt upgraded and there is an issue. My estimated speed should be 54 meg down 13 up.

Well 39.16 looks highly suspect to me, as I said, shouldn't be possible on a 40 meg product.
When i asked them if it should show about 76 or so they said yes i was correct! I am not trying to start an argument but 39 mbits on a 54 meg estimate is wrong.

I can't argue with you there!

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User Scoot
(member) Thu 19-Apr-12 18:57:03
Print Post

RobertoS, going back to your statement "there is no training period on FTTC" [censored] curiousity got the better of me and I emailed @BTCare team about my poor upload speeds.

Their suggestion was wait until the 10 day training period has elapsed and then come back to them and they will get a technician to look at my upload, as tests they did suggest my sync is good, exchange is good and my upload should be better.

I dont know whether it was an uneducated member of staff or a way to fob me off but ill wait 10 days and report it as 9mb on a 20mb sync aint right.
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Thu 19-Apr-12 19:38:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by Scoot:
I dont know whether it was an uneducated member of staff or a way to fob me off but ill wait 10 days and report it as 9mb on a 20mb sync aint right.

Probably uneducated/uniformed and fobbing you off. There is no 10-day training period but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not a good idea to wait a few days to see what happens.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 19-Apr-12 19:55:48
Print Post

Got similar but with dl was getting full 40/10 most I have seen on 80/20 is 48/15 I'm 150m from cab so there's something wrong with the new 80/20 product I'm currently taking hourly bt speed test shots for aquiss but I'm last test showed 6 down on a 77 sync go figure
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 20-Apr-12 23:26:24
Print Post

On a call with the level2 tech support yesterday I was told there is a 10 day test of your profile from your exchange. I was told because i was upgrading from the original infinity product i would not notice much difference in speed until after the 10 days were up.

If this is true it would explain why so many people arent seeing much improvement in speeds after upgrading (i ordered it the first day it came out - last thursday - and level2 told me it will take until monday 23rd april before my new speeds take effect).

Maybe this should be explained properly to upgraders if it is true! I will believe it when i see it. Still getting just 6.7meg up instead of 13 i was promised. Roll on next week
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 20-Apr-12 23:59:47
Print Post

Garbage.

It may be true that BT Wholesale do something like that, but they shouldn't. Your line is governed by the Openreach DLM, which doesn't do that. Period.

Standard User kasg
(experienced) Sat 21-Apr-12 08:35:24
Print Post

On a call with the level2 tech support yesterday I was told there is a 10 day test of your profile from your exchange. I was told because i was upgrading from the original infinity product i would not notice much difference in speed until after the 10 days were up.

If this is true it would explain why so many people arent seeing much improvement in speeds after upgrading (i ordered it the first day it came out - last thursday - and level2 told me it will take until monday 23rd april before my new speeds take effect).

Maybe this should be explained properly to upgraders if it is true! I will believe it when i see it. Still getting just 6.7meg up instead of 13 i was promised. Roll on next week

When I changed from 40/2 to 80/20 (trial, admittedly) on Plusnet it happened instantly overnight, I didn't even have to reboot/disconnect anything. I think what they are telling you is nonsense; it's the same product (Openreach FTTC) being sold by someone else.

BTW, I don't think you were "promised" 13 up, ISPs are very careful not to "promise" anything!

Kevin

Using OpenDNS

Edited by kasg (Sat 21-Apr-12 08:39:07)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 22-Apr-12 17:57:09
Print Post

OK, so what are my options if the speed doesnt increase tomorrow to 54/13?

I would just like to add that in 'MyBT' account on BTs website - the speed is still reported as 38/9 as the product that i am on. Interestingly the level2 India support said it wont change status on MyBT until the 23rd when my upgrade takes effect.

Can you explain why the account says i am still on the old option 2 if the level2 support are wrong? Surely if the upgrade was 'immediate' then the MyBT account setting would have also changed by now? Maybe BT Retail have a different procedure than plusnet?

So what are my options? Just take it on the chin?
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Sun 22-Apr-12 18:10:30
Print Post

Well I'm sorry but I don't understand the vagaries of BT's procedures so you might as well wait and see what happens.

By the way it would be really really REALLY useful if you would register an account and log in, it's a pain keeping track of anonymous postings.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 22-Apr-12 19:03:45
Print Post

And it's a darn sight easier for them to post as well once registered as they don't have to do capchas.

Standard User Scoot
(member) Wed 02-May-12 15:53:06
Print Post

Well well over 10 days since my approach to BT Care and my line is still not uploading higher than 10mb despite a good sync rate and IP profile of 20000.

Now the fake 10 day training period has expired I will be contacting BT again, wonder whats up with it?
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Wed 02-May-12 17:01:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by Scoot:
Now the fake 10 day training period has expired I will be contacting BT again, wonder whats up with it?

Ah, didn't you know about the second 10-day training period? wink

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 03-May-12 23:35:23
Print Post

Did you resolve this ?
Standard User Scoot
(member) Mon 07-May-12 15:22:48
Print Post

Not yet, BT Care did ring me back but I was not available to pick up and I havent contacted them back yet. Im still what seems to be throttled at 9mb/s even tho my sync rate is 20.
Standard User Scoot
(member) Sun 30-Jun-13 13:19:03
Print Post

I know this was a ling time ago but thought I would post the outcome of this over a year on lol

Basically this might be evident to a lot of people by now I havent researched this since 2012, many users might know but since changing my router yesterday my upload speed works way over 9mb/s and is maxing out its 20000 IP profile

It turns out the BT Homehub was to blame not the line, and ive noticed a post on the official BT forums where other users have the same problem and using as many as 4-5 hard resets on the homehub has jump started the hub to upload faster.

Changing my hub means im uploading near 18mb/s now smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to