General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Jun-19 22:26:24
Print Post

FTTC During Thunderstorms

[link to this post]

I just saw the forecasters was all over twitter, facebook, press, itv news, sky news and bbc news of a possible severe thunderstorms in all over UK start from this Sunday onwards lasted until next Thursday because of very high heat, humidity and cape index leads to severe storms.

I know during thunderstorms that all FTTC modem / router should be turned off and pulled out dsl cable from the telephone socket. I saw press newspaper a long while back where a lightning bolt damaged bt socket.

I expecting ISP's will be huge pressure to deal with FTTC customers will complaints of DLM during bad storms next week.

Probably advised best to leave modem off overnight when go to bed and pulled out cable of dsl socket during overnight storms as possible.
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Sat 22-Jun-19 07:25:11
Print Post

Re: FTTC During Thunderstorms

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Don't forget to remove the aerial from your TVs and unlpug as many items from the mains as you can. Don't hold anything connected directly to the mains or telephone line, just to be careful.
Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Jun-19 09:32:53
Print Post

Turning off your electricity at the consumer unit is best, then dig a hole in your lawn and bury yourself in it until the storm passes.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2
Fritz!Box 3390

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 22-Jun-19 12:14:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:
I know during thunderstorms that all FTTC modem / router should be turned off and pulled out dsl cable from the telephone socket. I saw press newspaper a long while back where a lightning bolt damaged bt socket.

Make sure you protect your home from BT poles falling on it.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync history highest: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User candlerb
(committed) Sat 22-Jun-19 12:33:39
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

When I was little, my mum used to unplug the TV aerial during a thunderstorm and put the connector into a plant pot.

She said it was because it needed to go to earth.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 22-Jun-19 13:12:26
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
When I was little, my mum used to unplug the TV aerial during a thunderstorm and put the connector into a plant pot.

It obviously worked wink [chuckle]

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User Garlic
(member) Sat 22-Jun-19 14:30:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by candlerb:

ROFL - Brilliant

-----------
FTTP 80/20
Standard User fredfox
(experienced) Sat 22-Jun-19 16:30:05
Print Post

I don't know if you meant this as a joke or not, but my Nan really did do this. I don't know if was because someone told her it needed to go to earth or not and being little I never thought to ask, I thought she knew what she was doing smile

Pipex
Nildram
UKFSN
Be *
Xilo / Uno
Now -> Zen and BT

Fibre is here ! FTTP smile
Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Sat 22-Jun-19 16:43:52
Print Post

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AndyPandy:
Turning off your electricity at the consumer unit is best, then dig a hole in your lawn and bury yourself in it until the storm passes.
but then you are in danger of drowning if said hole floods in the rain wink
Standard User Alikris
(newbie) Sat 22-Jun-19 16:48:35
Print Post

[re: fredfox] [link to this post]

Last year we suffered a direct lightening strike on the telegraph pole outside my house that serves 17 houses. The main multi-pair phone cable (40 pair?) fried and everyone's routers fused as well (there's a fuse link on the router circuit boards). Openreach had to replace about 200 metres of the overhead cable, many splice points along the cable to the exchange had to be cut out and respliced as well. It was a nightmare. It also fried my graphics card for some reason but the rest of my computer was unaffected thankfully. It was turned on at the time, wired Ethernet cable. I guess I was very very lucky.

Openreach spent a good four days up here repairing the lines. I give them their due, they worked long days including the weekend.

Lesson learnt. Next time we have a thunderstorm I'm unplugging everything.

Ali.

Edited by Alikris (Sat 22-Jun-19 16:52:15)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to