General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Fumbledore
(newbie) Wed 16-Oct-19 00:11:29
Print Post

FTTP installation.

[link to this post]

OK. So FTTP became available to us at the beginning of October. I and a few neighbours contacted BT to order the service and all received a projected install of mid to late October. So far so good. Anyway the install dates came - and went with no install. Contacting BT has now ended up with a new install date of January, some 3 months away. Is this the normal train of event for a FTTP installation? Surely it doesn't require 3 months to run fibre from the manhole in the pavement up the front garden to the house.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Oct-19 05:57:45
Print Post

Re: FTTP installation.

[re: Fumbledore] [link to this post]

Who knows, each situation is unique.

The delay is more likely to be elsewhere, because there’s more than just that one little run of fibre involved.

Openreach are stupidly busy at the moment.

Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Wed 16-Oct-19 09:09:28
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Hi

The delay shouldn't be elsewhere as to become available to order the fibre will have passed an audit and testing and will be live up to the DP.

The delay will be down to Openreach lack of resources and lack of interest in actually connecting up a few people. At the moment the whole industry is obsessed with "passing" properties rather than connecting properties.

All the OP can do is wait and wait and wait, and yes its not uncommon, I'm in the same situation.

Regards

Phil

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 16-Oct-19 10:07:57
Print Post

[re: Fumbledore] [link to this post]

If they all need ducting installing then it is a much bigger job than if the copper is already in ducts, rather than simply buried. There is also the question of whether all the houses are a question of soil digging or some have concrete/slabs/brick paving and such to negotiate. Not many have grass or soil up to the brickwork.

Even the ducting to that manhole could be blocked or collapsed following other in-pavement works by other utilities.

The relevant manpower or equipment might even have been diverted for a few weeks recently to flood areas and Openreach playing catch-up now!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 16-Oct-19 10:09:34)

Standard User chrisdev
(learned) Wed 16-Oct-19 10:32:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'm in the same situation. 2 weeks for a permission to dig, 2 weeks for civils to happen, 2 weeks for an exception, 4 more weeks before install and everything is rodded and roped already. My order is expedited too. I'd expect OP's ISP would be able to give a clear idea of what the hold up is.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Oct-19 11:11:06
Print Post

[re: chrisdev] [link to this post]

There is of course the £5/day compensation that should be ticking up
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8361-cashback-wh...

One of the key ideas behind this being automatic rather than people having to plead for it, is that it will incentivise providers to have minimal numbers of late installs.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Wed 16-Oct-19 11:41:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Completely agree it may be a bigger job than just pulling in some fibre, but the point is it will not take Openreach 3 months of being onsite day in day out to get it done, it will likely be done and dusted in a day or two.

For me it took 6 weeks to get a blockage removed to the DP, and it was sub-contractors and not Openreach themselves, and they took just a few hours to do it, and that included tracing the underground route which Openreach hadn't done.

When I queried the sub-contractors about lead times they said they usually can be out to a blockage in a few days, or at worse a week assuming no restrictions on road closures etc. I said it had taken Openreach 6 weeks to get them out and they checked their order and we could see for 5 weeks Openreach had delayed placing the order to them.

Yes sometimes a dig takes longer to arrange because roads need closing or there are conditions at times the work can be done to avoid traffic distribution, but in my case it's a dead end road with no passing traffic!

So the delays are just down to Openreach, they simply don't have the manpower even for admin work to book sub-contractors and are not prioritising connecting people to fibre.

For the OP I basically think Openreach have no resources and have just pushed it a quarter of year away to become next years problem.

To the OP, keep an eye out on roadworks.org as if they need to dig it should appear on there as they need a permit to dig.

Regards

Phil
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Thu 17-Oct-19 07:44:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi

I've been told the compensation scheme doesn't apply to upgrading a service, as I'm provided with a service already I'm not being left without a connection due to delays. I think this is why FTTP is just getting such a low priority when people upgrade.

Edit: Perhaps the answer is to cancel the existing service and have it cease on the given go live of the new FTTP service, then the compensation might kick in as the person is left with no service, however I'd rather have a service than the compensation!

Regards

Phil

Edited by PhilipD (Thu 17-Oct-19 08:24:48)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 17-Oct-19 09:30:37
Print Post

Mmm not sure that is the true intent of what Ofcom meant.

Looking at wording New Service is the key part, if changing ISP it would be most likely that your existing service would have stopped and could contend that the £5 is due.

If a new method of connection but with same ISP I would say that it still applies, but ISP may not, hence why adjudication services exist. My vote is that you are due the compensation.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 17-Oct-19 09:31:59
Print Post

To add

If we start to see this as a pattern and can get examples together than will pester higher bodies but for now its watch and wait on my part.

BTW even if they decline the automatic compensation nothing to stop you seeking compensation just like we used to have to do.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to