General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ChefExcellence
(newbie) Fri 21-Feb-20 14:52:02
Print Post

Providers that don't use BTW?

[link to this post]

My current connection with EE seems to suffer with the high latency whilst streaming issue that seems to be affecting all ISP's that run through BTW (an 82 page thread about it here https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network...

I've tried ordering Sky and they messed up and now I can't reorder until the 2nd March. But I have a window to leave EE penalty free due to a price rise and that window closes before I can reorder from Sky.

Ideally I don't want TalkTalk as the 24 month contract puts me off due to moving late next year so either 12 or 18 months is preferable. Does anyone know of any other providers that either offer LLU or use TalkTalk backhaul rather than BT?
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Feb-20 15:27:33
Print Post

Re: Providers that don't use BTW?

[re: ChefExcellence] [link to this post]

that seems to be affecting all ISP's that run through BTW
I'll leave it to you to find an ISP that meets your needs however I can assure that not all ISPs using BTW are suffering the problems you say you are having. Could the problem be closer to home or with your connection to the cab in which case the problem could persist regardless of who provides the backhaul.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 21-Feb-20 15:38:49
Print Post

TalkTalk should let you pick the 12/18 or 24 month terms, prices of course may vary.

Vodafone is another LLU provider.

How close to filling your connection are you when streaming? Also if this is over WiFi then maybe its a bit of code common to the hardware BT Consumer, EE and Plusnet use i.e. the hubs

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Fri 21-Feb-20 17:19:21
Print Post

Your mention of LLU means that presumably you are on ADSL.

I'm pretty sure Andrews and Arnold use Talktalk backhaul if you take their 2TB/month option on Home::1. This may be more than you're willing to pay - but you will get absolutely excellent service, and if anyone can fix your line, they can. You can take it on a 1 month or 6 month term if you wish.
Standard User Davey_H
(regular) Fri 21-Feb-20 18:33:30
Print Post

Pulse8 use TTB.

https://pulse8broadband.co.uk

There's no contract, unlimited usage and their CS is excellent and more affordable than AAISP
Standard User wolvesmad
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Feb-20 19:32:26
Print Post

Uno/Xilo are a superb ISP that run on the TTb network.

-

EE Fibre Plus 68|20Mb
Standard User ChefExcellence
(newbie) Fri 21-Feb-20 19:53:06
Print Post

@MCM - No it definitely is affecting a handful of customers across various different ISP's, I've even had a number of different Openreach engineers confirm this. Apparently they have seen an increase in call outs with similar issues since Christmas (its thanks to them that I figured out that I need to kick everyone off Netflix if I want to game online!) There are also loads of posts on the Plusnet, EE and BT forums about this as well.

@MrSaffron How close am I to filling my connection? If I download a file at 8MB/s my ping goes up to about 40ms on the BQM. If I start streaming a YouTube video at 360p it goes up to 170ms
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Feb-20 20:12:15
Print Post

Well, a 'handful of customersl is far from all. Your problem may be due to your ISP running the SVLAN to which you connected at your exchange "hot" and need to reassign some of their customers to a different SVLAN or purchase more capacity from Openreach.

For more information see Openreach's Move end user Customer VLANs between Service VLANs
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 21-Feb-20 20:17:56
Print Post

If your download speed is 9 Mbps then no suprises.

If your download speed is 30 Mbps then something is up

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 24-Feb-20 09:16:04
Print Post

Do you mean 8MB/s or 8Mb/s (8MB/s is 64Mb/s and so a line running near full speed on FTTC). If it is 8MB/s then a youtube video should have no impact on other line usage.
  Print Thread

Jump to