General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sparkymark75
(regular) Fri 10-Apr-20 15:23:22
Print Post

"Slow" available FTTP speeds

[link to this post]

I know things may be a bit screwed up with regards the various OpenReach/BT databases because of the current pandemic but was wondering why when I check my address on the DSL checker, it lists my max speed as up to 330Mbps. Why doesn't it show 1000Mbps like others do?

I did read that this may be because there is ECI equipment in the Exchange but I thought this was for only a few customers primarily in the south of England? (I'm based near Edinburgh). And wouldn't I need to have an ECI ONT if that was the case? I have what appears to be a Huawei HG8240 ONT (with a battery backup).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-Apr-20 16:08:22
Print Post

Re: "Slow" available FTTP speeds

[re: sparkymark75] [link to this post]

Some in the past have reported seeing different results at different times when checking for the same telephone number. Pandemic should not have caused database to go foobar - unless the people entering data started doing it wrong, what is more likely is stuff will have been built or upgraded and not updated.

So actually boils down to what an ISP will let you order, and as FTTP orders are effectively on hold till 1st June not much will happen.

Openreach said should be just 50,000 impacted i.e.. stuck with 330 Mbps limit.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User sparkymark75
(regular) Fri 10-Apr-20 16:41:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Some in the past have reported seeing different results at different times when checking for the same telephone number. Pandemic should not have caused database to go foobar - unless the people entering data started doing it wrong, what is more likely is stuff will have been built or upgraded and not updated.

So actually boils down to what an ISP will let you order, and as FTTP orders are effectively on hold till 1st June not much will happen.

Openreach said should be just 50,000 impacted i.e.. stuck with 330 Mbps limit.

Mine has been fairly consistent with showing 330Mbps since I had it installed Dec 2017. I only realised it was an issue when I went to upgrade when BT offered their new speeds. It showed on the BT website I could get up to 900Mbps but they couldn't upgrade me.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 10-Apr-20 17:50:37
Print Post

Where you are in the country isn't relevant to being stuck on ECI exchange hardware.

It's exchanges that originally had ECI OLT's installed (for ECI FTTC cabinets).
Any subsequent FTTP that was rolled out would be connected to this hardware.
This is an "ECI PON"

The same goes the other way round, Huawei FTTC cabinets are connected to a Huawei OLT.
Any FTTP from a Huawei OLT is a "Huawei PON".

Many exchanges that have ECI OLT's also have Huawei OLT's thanks to the fact that almost all BDUK cabinets were Huawei and the fact ECI cabinets haven't been deployed for years now.

It's exchanges that only have ECI OLT's with FTTP connected to them that suffer from the 330Mb limit.

There may be some ECI PON's from exchanges that have had Huawei OLT's installed since but they haven't migrated the PON's to the Huawei kit .
I've no idea how easy it is to switch a PON from an ECI OLT to a Huawei OLT.

330Mb showing on the Wholesale checker might not necessarily be because of ECI kit in the exchange though.
There may be exchanges where BT Wholesale don't have 10Gb cablelinks installed or insufficient backhaul to offer higher tiers.
There may also be database errors.
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Fri 10-Apr-20 20:45:47
Print Post

I have the same issue, brand new FTTP connection, recently installed cables and very limited existing fttp in the area and DSL checker shows 330/50 but when the 500/900 were released on the 23rd March my address showed available to order on BT's website, unfortunately I had already placed an order for 300 and I would have had to cancel the install date to order again at 900 when I spoke to BT, luckily I didnt do that or I woudlnt have managed to sneak my install in with an accommodating Openreach engineer after the lockdown.
  Print Thread

Jump to