General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User WafferThinMint
(newbie) Thu 06-Aug-20 19:03:11
Print Post

FTTP Install - Preparation

[link to this post]

Hi, I'm about to take the plunge and convert from FTTC to FTTP, which is now available at my location. It will probably be BT, but you never know until I place an order.

I want to prepare everything (within my scope) in advance, ideally before I place an order, so that I get the installation just how I want it, where I want it and looking totally professional. I'll drill all the holes, chase out for Cat 6 network cables and so on. I've read all the BT and Openreach documents I can download or lay my hands on and despite some initial confusion due to old info still being on-line at least I now know what questions I need to ask. I hope you can help.

I made the mistake of asking on the BT forum but all I could get was answers to questions I'd not asked from people who'd not took the time to actually read what I was asking. A bit like dealing with BT itself, actually.

Anyway, please tell me:

1. What ONT (or ONTs) are BT currently installing - i.e. model number(s), manufacturers(s), plus technical info documents including details like where the screw holes are?

2. Now that BT no longer install the combined housing with ONT and BBU inside, how does the fibre get from the CSP to the ONT? Specifically, how does it get through the wall and how is the hole sealed? How is the fibre protected from damage when my kids get near it?

3. I'm told a BBU is no longer supplied. What is the service fall back for the voice line if mains power is lost?

4. Does the ONT include a Tel port for phones? (one genius has suggested that it doesn't and therefore I will have fibre and copper running in the same duct)

5. My present copper incomer for FTTC is in the wrong place and I need it to move 5m further into another room. Will BT install additional 54mm duct, including the dig, free of charge or am I going to be negotiating with an installation engineer who has another half a dozen jobs the same day?

6. If I was to put BT duct in place myself, alongside the old duct (for an engineer to connect up and pull through), can I bring the duct into the house or does it have to be outside with the CSP there as well?

7. What voltage and current draw is the ONT? If anyone can tell me what power plug size is used this would be a bonus.

8. If the ONT has a Tel port, what is the maximum REN it can deal with? Is it 4, the same as for a copper line?

9. Am I right in thinking there is now no BT master socket needed, just secondary sockets daisy-chained together for my internal phone wiring?

Sorry it's such a long list, I'll be grateful for any answers.

Cheers, Ian

Playing with computers since the days of CPM and writing stuff in assembler.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 06-Aug-20 20:06:00
Print Post

Re: FTTP Install - Preparation

[re: WafferThinMint] [link to this post]

Either a 1 port Huawei ONT or a 1 port Nokia ONT.
Which 1 depends on the FTTP exchange equipment in use as the Vendor has to match.
You won't know until the day of install unless a neighbour has FTTP already as you will all use the same Vendor.
Nokia ONT Model G-01G-Q
Not sure on Huawei model number.

2. It's a single fibre cable from the ONT to the CSP.
A hole is drilled small enough to feed to cable through without needing to be big enough for the socket that plugs in to the ONT as it is fed from inside to outside.
It's up to you to keep the kids away from it.
If damaged it needs replaced from the CSP to the ONT, involves splicing again.

3. None. A mobile phone or by your own UPS.

4. No, ONT's no longer have a telephone port.
BT will use your existing copper line or VOIP via their Hub.

5. I doubt they will do this free or that the engineer doing the internal fibre install will be willing to touch the copper.

6. No idea.

7. No idea

8. N/a

9. BT are still provisioning some FTTP voice lines via the copper pair, others on Digital Voice via VOIP using a telephone port on the BT Hub.
If put on Digital Voice and wanting to use the internal wiring make sure the incoming copper pair isn't connected to the circuit.
I believe there's a faceplate that can do this.

Edited by j0hn83 (Thu 06-Aug-20 20:23:55)

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 06-Aug-20 20:57:23
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

To add:

5. Installation engineers won't dig duct. They may agree to run 5m of fibre along the outside of the wall and clip it on.

If you want your (copper) master socket moved, that's a chargeable service that you can order from your ISP: I believe it's about £165+VAT.

Again, they'll likely either clip the cable to the outside or run additional copper in the inside, although if you provided suitable duct in a reasonable position they'll probably use it on request.

6. I wouldn't suggest bringing duct inside. You don't know what's scurrying around inside those pavement footboxes.

7. My ONT (Huawei) is 12V DC. There's a small "wall wart" PSU which connects to a regular round DC plug.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Thu 06-Aug-20 21:34:18
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Thanks for the excellent (and quick) info guys, It's really useful, especially the one about critters in the duct, I never thought about that.

Can you tell me how they do VoIP from the ONT, is it a separate unit and if so, any ideas about model numbers?.

If my copper voice line is going to remain I'll buy a 54mm duct tee to lay alongside the rest of it. The copper can stay where it is and I'll extend with Cat 6 from the master socket in the traditional way.

Thanks again!

Standard User mysticeddy
(regular) Thu 06-Aug-20 21:44:39
Print Post

The ISP router will have a telephone socket on to use VoIP. Sky & BT are two providers I know of with a telephone socket on the router.
Standard User tdw42
(regular) Thu 06-Aug-20 21:53:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by WafferThinMint:
1. What ONT (or ONTs) are BT currently installing - i.e. model number(s), manufacturers(s), plus technical info documents including details like where the screw holes are?

To expand on the other replies, the current Huawai 1+1 is the HG8110H-20, to be replaced by 1+0 HG8010H5-20 at some point.

2. Now that BT no longer install the combined housing with ONT and BBU inside, how does the fibre get from the CSP to the ONT?

Having as CSP is the both the current connectorised and original blown fibre tube (BFT) installation method, albeit with different CSP styles.
Until recently the connectorised cable was plugged into the block terminal (on a pole or in a chamber), run to the premises, the outer sheath stripped when passed inside, inner-sheathed fibre run to the ONT and a field-fit APC plug attached for connection. This was probably so engineers not trained to use fusion splicers could do installations, but due to unreliability of the field-fit plugs and the entire outdoor and indoor fibre run having to be replaced in the event of damage, the method has been revised to use two (indoor and outdoor) connectorised cables and a CSP. From comments in other threads the latest CSP method may not have reached all engineers yet.
Specifically, how does it get through the wall and how is the hole sealed?

Silicone sealant.
How is the fibre protected from damage when my kids get near it?

Just don't let them near it.

4. Does the ONT include a Tel port for phones? (one genius has suggested that it doesn't and therefore I will have fibre and copper running in the same duct)

The current Huawei does have a phone port, the one being introduced does not. Even for those with a phone port it is no longer possible to order a service on it.

AFAIK only BT offer their Digital Voice service at the moment via the BT Hub NOT the ONT, other providers still use copper or do not offer an FTTP voice service. For overhead fed FTTP the existing copper drop cable is replaced by a dual fibre/copper cable, for underground fed I believe just a fibre cable is installed and the existing copper is left as-is.

It may be worth using a provider other than BT for a data service and then port your landline number to a VoIP provider (e.g. AAISP, Sipgate). If you only have cordless phones the Gigaset VoIP DECT offerings have a good reputation, or you could use an ATA (e.g. Cisco, Grandstream) and inject into the current house phone wiring (AFTER disconnecting it at the existing master socket).

5. My present copper incomer for FTTC is in the wrong place and I need it to move 5m further into another room. Will BT install additional 54mm duct, including the dig, free of charge or am I going to be negotiating with an installation engineer who has another half a dozen jobs the same day?

6. If I was to put BT duct in place myself, alongside the old duct (for an engineer to connect up and pull through), can I bring the duct into the house or does it have to be outside with the CSP there as well?

Rather than the ONT being installed being installed close to the existing NTE it should be possible to ask for the fibre to be run that distance on the outside with a new hole through to where you would like the ONT to be, most unlikely they will dig and install new ducting. Older OR guidance for developers did have an option for ducts to terminate inside premises, but as this could be a path for ingress of unwanted stuff (be it gas, liquid, insect, etc.) no longer suggested.

7. What voltage and current draw is the ONT? If anyone can tell me what power plug size is used this would be a bonus.

The Nokia is 12V 0.5A, maximum consumption 4W.
The Huawei 1+1 is 11-14V 1A, maximum consumption 4.7W.
The Huawei 1+0 is 11-14V 1A, maximum consumption 2.3W.

I don't know about the Nokia, but the Huawei use 2.1mm inner, 5.5mm outer DC barrel plugs, centre positive, and work fine off float charged 12V lead-acid batteries.
Standard User Highland76
(member) Thu 06-Aug-20 22:19:20
Print Post

[re: tdw42] [link to this post]

Sky also offer VoIP through their router on their FTTP services.

Giganet UltraBEAM FTTP 1000/115 -- Netgear RAX200
(newbie) Sat 08-Aug-20 13:40:19
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Thanks once again for all the posts and info, it's going to make my prep a lot easier.

I can't find any technical docs for the Nokia ONT but I can hopefully work around that.

Standard User Archetype486
(newbie) Sat 08-Aug-20 15:58:13
Print Post

Hi,

Thanks to PhilipD over on Kitz
Here is a link to the data sheet on the Nokia ONT
Datasheet
  Print Thread

Jump to