General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Highland76
(member) Wed 12-Aug-20 10:55:25
Print Post

FTTP outage d/t flooding

[link to this post]

We had pretty intense thunderstorms overnight in the Inverness area and as a result one of my FTTP lines has gone kaput (Giganet line) since 4am. However the other FTTP line ( BT Business) continues to work just fine. Giganet have told me there’s no ETA of the fix as the area affected is still flooded. Can anyone in the know shed more light on this? I’m connected to the Inverness Macdhui exchange.
Cheers

Giganet UltraBEAM FTTP 1000/115 Mbps -- Netgear RAX200
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 12-Aug-20 10:57:03
Print Post

Re: FTTP outage d/t flooding

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

Is the ONT showing link? i.e. light side working?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Highland76
(member) Wed 12-Aug-20 11:03:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yep 4 port ONT is working, other FTTP line (BT) - connected to same ONT - is unaffected. Have you heard of any major outages in Scotland affecting some fttc/p lines?

Edited by Highland76 (Wed 12-Aug-20 11:08:44)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Aug-20 11:12:37
Print Post

Suggests maybe it is Giganet's own network / data centre that is having issues rather than anything between you and the exchange.

EDIT : Although looking at their service status it says everything is fine - you would think if they had an issue with a major area/link/service that they would have it on their service status page.

Edited by ian72 (Wed 12-Aug-20 11:14:15)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 12-Aug-20 11:12:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by Highland76:
Yep 4 port ONT is working, other FTTP line (BT) - connected to same ONT - is unaffected. Have you heard of any major outages in Scotland affecting some fttc/p lines?
BT's incident management team said a major outage at an exchange in Edinburgh, caused by the weather, was affecting about 100,000 customers' broadband on BT, EE and Plusnet in the city and surrounding area.
It was reported at 06:30 and engineers were on site working on the issue.
No doubt affecting all providers, not just BT.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connection - Three B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. 1+ 8 Pro max 80Mbps down, 24Mbps up.
=========================
To argue with a mindless bigot is foolish.
Standard User freeola
(member) Wed 12-Aug-20 11:13:11
Print Post

Yes, Edinburgh exchange has been flooded causing major disruption in the area. Expect and outage of several hours.

Freeola
https://freeola.com - Broadband (including FTTP & G.fast), Line Rental, Domains, Hosting & Instant Sites - Support
ISP Representative uno
(isp) Wed 12-Aug-20 11:13:13
Print Post

Could be due to the excessive flooding in the Edinburgh exchange.... affecting a lot of Scotland.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
uno Speedtest
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Highland76
(member) Wed 12-Aug-20 11:29:14
Print Post

[re: freeola] [link to this post]

Cheers. Just been informed by Giganet that their carrier is expecting to fix this by 2100hrs tonight. I guess my BT Business line has a different routing path (via Glasgow?) to the Giganet one (Edinburgh?) which might explain why the BT one still works.

Standard User Chipmunk77
(learned) Wed 12-Aug-20 11:39:41
Print Post

[re: freeola] [link to this post]

Not too surprising, the rain in Edinburgh last night was absolutely staggering. Like a monsoon for hours on end, roads into rivers etc.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 12-Aug-20 12:08:55
Print Post

Or just lucky that one headend in an exchange had issues and one did not.

Rare for FTTP to head to two different head end exchanges, not sure this is possible in the case of using the 4 port ONT either.

The headend itself may be fine, and it might be the kit the ISP or its wholesaler is using that is having issues e.g. some might have battery power others might not.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to