General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zag164
(learned) Tue 15-Sep-20 20:36:05
Print Post

Sky FTTP Unavailable

[link to this post]

Our CFP has just completed commissioning so we can place our orders (Hooray!). The Openreach fibre checker updated overnight and now shows FTTP as available at our address. I have placed an FTTP order with BT but checking the same address with Sky, Ulrafast Fibre (FTTP) is not available. I am not a Sky customer but Sky soft launched their FTTP nationally at the end of August so I am not sure why this is. I thought all checks to the EMLC dialogue service were done in realtime. Can anyone shed any light on why Sky say FTTP is not available please? Could they be using an outdated cached data set or perhaps they have not launched nationally after all? I am querying this for one of my neighbours who is a Sky customer and wants to order from them - Sky have not been particularly helpful so hoping to have more success here.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Sep-20 22:10:29
Print Post

Re: Sky FTTP Unavailable

[re: zag164] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zag164:
Our CFP has just completed commissioning so we can place our orders (Hooray!). The Openreach fibre checker updated overnight and now shows FTTP as available at our address. I have placed an FTTP order with BT but checking the same address with Sky, Ulrafast Fibre (FTTP) is not available. I am not a Sky customer but Sky soft launched their FTTP nationally at the end of August so I am not sure why this is. I thought all checks to the EMLC dialogue service were done in realtime. Can anyone shed any light on why Sky say FTTP is not available please? Could they be using an outdated cached data set or perhaps they have not launched nationally after all? I am querying this for one of my neighbours who is a Sky customer and wants to order from them - Sky have not been particularly helpful so hoping to have more success here.
Does anyone know if fttp will show available via Sky if new cable links are required in the local headend exchange?
Standard User NuttyMucker
(member) Tue 15-Sep-20 22:47:11
Print Post

I am in the same position as yourself. Some of my neighbours wanted to use Sky but as its still a soft launch it appears to only be available in certain areas and not available to us.
I would imagine a national launch might be after the New Year but who knows smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Sep-20 01:43:11
Print Post

Sky and Talktalk are not national.

Upgrades need done in some exchanges before they can sell FTTP and they will be prioritizing exchanges with lots of FTTP.

Neither is available to me despite me having BT FTTP.
Neither available at any address on my exchange. It has very little FTTP.
Though it was just announced by OpenReach yesterday.
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Wed 16-Sep-20 10:29:54
Print Post

If the OLT serving you isn't Huawei it may well not have any cabinets on it and, hence, Sky don't have a Cablelink to it yet.

They seem to be quite reactive in this regard where BT Wholesale seem more proactive.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 16-Sep-20 11:13:51
Print Post

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by CarlTSpeak:
If the OLT serving you isn't Huawei it may well not have any cabinets on it and, hence, Sky don't have a Cablelink to it yet.
Openreach FTTP connections have nothing to do with cabinets.

I don't follow your logic about Sky and Cablelinks either, even if they did.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Wed 16-Sep-20 11:45:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Openreach FTTP connections have nothing to do with cabinets.

I don't follow your logic about Sky and Cablelinks either, even if they did.

No cabinets = brand new OLT for FTTP = Sky haven't had to purchase Cablelink until they started selling FTTP so may not have placed the order until recently and are within the lead time for it.

Cabinets on the OLT already = Sky probably have a Cablelink in place to serve the FTTC customer base on the OLT.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User AlanPot
(newbie) Wed 16-Sep-20 12:33:02
Print Post

I was offered Sky FTTP when I was upgrading my Sky TV package but declined as I had two months remaining on my BT contract (FTTP). Sky offered up to £100 compensation for termination with BT. Later and after second thoughts I decided to take the offer but it was declined as they said FTTP was not available in my area (a small village on Anglesey). When I insisted that the offer was made previously, I was given a different contact number and the rep offered their top tier 145-150 FTTP for £27 with a promise of repayment of BT cancellation fee. The activation date is the 24th September.

I believe it is a combination of perseverance and luck contacting the right person for FTTP with Sky. It seems that prioritising exchanges with lots of FTTP cannot be true in my case as this area is hardly heaving with FTTP installations.
Standard User zag164
(learned) Wed 16-Sep-20 12:50:43
Print Post

[re: AlanPot] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AlanPot:
I was given a different contact number and the rep offered their top tier 145-150 FTTP for £27 with a promise of repayment of BT cancellation fee. The activation date is the 24th September.

Thanks for all the replies - @AlanPot would you be able to post or PM me the alternative contact number please?
Standard User AlanPot
(newbie) Wed 16-Sep-20 13:24:02
Print Post

Regrettably I have lost/misplaced the contact number. However, two numbers that possibly might help you are 03442410515 & 03337594835-these are contact numbers on the Sky Broadband & Talk information email I received . The contact numbers are in relation to FTTP and the order and it is possible that they know the number I was given. Hope this helps.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to