General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User max1486
(learned) Fri 18-Sep-20 23:34:28
Print Post

BT 900 - Static IP?

[link to this post]

Hi there,

Before I signed up to BT FTTP I was told that specifically on the 900Mbit plan, I could get a static IP. I made a note of asking the guy TWICE to make sure he understood and he did, and clearly stated I just had to call to get one.

I called today and was told they don't offer static on residential 900 plans, but then the guy tried to offer me a BT Wifi disc as a fix... so I'm not sure who to believe.

Has anyone received one of these before?

Thanks
Standard User StuB
(committed) Fri 18-Sep-20 23:51:19
Print Post

Re: BT 900 - Static IP?

[re: max1486] [link to this post]

I'm sure someone will answer definitely soon however I didn't think you could get a static IP address with any BT residential connection.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Sep-20 00:28:41
Print Post

I have asked for a static IP a while back and was always told that they do not provide nor allow for residential customers to acquire a Static IP and that if you really require the need for one that you move over to their business sales team and go on from there.

The way I see it residential customers doesn't need or require a Static IP for everyday home use.

To have external locations access our home connection here I use a DDNS which has been working fine since we got fibre a few years back, I also use this ddns to validate our connection to our servers.

I use my own router instead of the rubbish SmartHub 2 and our connection has been up for over 4+ months with the same IP.

Also what has the Wi-Fi Disc got to do with your connections public IP address?
I think BT has been telling you a load of rubbish like they do now and then, I would not believe a word of it.

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Highland76
(member) Sat 19-Sep-20 07:56:21
Print Post

BT Residential don't offer static IP address(es) so surprised why the salesperson told you otherwise.

However its not the end of the world being on a dynamic IP. Use something like noip.com or dyndnss.net to get a unique domain name and point to this domain if using a service which ideally requires a static IP such as TBB Quality Monitor.

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Sep-20 08:58:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by max1486:
Before I signed up to BT FTTP I was told that specifically on the 900Mbit plan, I could get a static IP. I made a note of asking the guy TWICE to make sure he understood and he did, and clearly stated I just had to call to get one.

Salespeople get paid commission for making a sale, not for telling the truth. Whether or not he really knew what a "static IP" is, he gave you the answer you wanted to hear.

Unless you have a recording of the phonecall, then there's little you can do. Even then, the best you could hope for would be an early release from the contract.

As others have said: an FTTP connection with a stable router will keep the same IP address for weeks at a time, and dynamic DNS can take care of the rest.

If you want a real static IPv4+IPv6, then you can pay £10 per month for the AAISP L2TP service, and access it over your BT FTTP. The L2TP tunnel is limited to 100Mbps up and down, and 1TB per month, but you could use it for incoming access, while outbound connections still go over the native WAN link. (You need a router which is sophisticated enough to handle this sort of routing policy though)
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Sep-20 12:02:35
Print Post

BT residential don't offer static IP's.
They don't have the ability to provide 1 at all.

BT Business can.

If you need a static IP then don't sign up to BT.
Standard User shrey
(learned) Sat 19-Sep-20 15:54:33
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

I have BT FTTP 500/70 and using the Smart Hub 2.

What router are you using. I am planning on replacing the SH2, even though it has worked well for the last few months I've had it.

Thanks
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Sep-20 02:26:14
Print Post

[re: shrey] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by shrey:
What router are you using. I am planning on replacing the SH2, even though it has worked well for the last few months I've had it.

If you are not having an issue then stay using it, no point buying a 3rd party router atm just in case BT don't release any other means for Digital Voice to be provided other than than the SmartHub 2.

But I am currently using a MikroTik Tik RB4011iGS+RM which you need to configure up everything (routing, firewalls for IPv4 and IPv6, DHCP and more) for it to work so a fair bit of networking knowledge required.

I can say I did tests while downloading at full speed which was about 925Mbits and it was only using 25% of its CPU, so I am very happy with it.

Paul

Standard User shrey
(learned) Sun 20-Sep-20 09:49:56
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply.

I'll stick the SH2 while its working well.

Shrey
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Sep-20 10:52:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by max1486:
Hi there,
but then the guy tried to offer me a BT Wifi disc as a fix... so I'm not sure who to believe.

Has anyone received one of these before?

Thanks

A BT Wifi disc, does not and will never ever ever give you a static public facing ip provided by BT retail.
  Print Thread

Jump to