General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Oct-20 09:02:17
Print Post

Re: Full FTTP go live

[re: thomaswarne01] [link to this post]

Ignore the comments, FTTP 55/10 has been a thing for some time now

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Oct-20 09:02:52
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Does "Fibre all the way to your door. With fibre to the premises or FTTP – we run the fibre all the way to your door. No sharing with your neighbours."

Make you happy?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 01-Oct-20 11:57:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by thomaswarne01:
TBB 50/10 Speedtest FTTP

I know you may not beleive the 50/10 FTTP but I have linked a speedtest, my neighbour is on the same package as us and I have looked up online to see if others have 50/10 and yes it is a thing.
BT Launch 55/10
Granted bt list it as 55/10 but we have never got faster than 51 and on the BT site under fibre it is listed as 50Mbps fibre 1 TBB article BT Fibre 1

Do some research if you don't believe people
The confusion arises from the difference between the technical aspects/specification of the Openreach 55/10 product you are on and correctly paying for, and the speeds ISPs are allowed to advertise on their websites and in the media. The ASA requires adverts to state nothing above what at least 10% of users of the product can actually receive.

In the case of BT Wholesale-based providers on FTTP this will generally be just below the limit imposed (for technical reasons) by the IP Profile. Almost all users of that product will get speed test result like yours, unlike distance variations on the equivalent FTTC 55/10.

If you check your line stats in (probably) the Troubleshooting section of your Hub GUI, you should see 55,000Kbps. Maybe 1 or 2 lower.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Oct-20 12:44:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

"The ASA requires adverts to state nothing above what at least 10% of users of the product can actually receive."

That was the old way, it now has to be median speed and has been for a while now

Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Oct-20 12:49:05
Print Post

You could 40/10 on fttp, its not anything new.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Oct-20 12:57:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
If you check your line stats in (probably) the Troubleshooting section of your Hub GUI, you should see 55,000Kbps. Maybe 1 or 2 lower.

If that's true, I'd be very interested to find out how the router can display this information.

The connection from the router to the ONT is ethernet, fixed at 1Gbps, and the GPON bit rate is fixed at 2.4G / 1.2G. The 55M profile is enforced either at the OLT or the BRAS, by throttling the rate of sending packets.

Does the PPPoE session add extra attributes giving the line profile details?
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Oct-20 13:04:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:
I will not buy 900/110. The standard one FTTP 80/20 will be more than enough. FTTP are lots better than FTTC (EVIL DLM)

I suppose it should be more reliable, but to be honest DLM have improved a lot over the last few years.
My concern about FTTP is will providers start capping speeds and going back to the old traffic control if people start overloading the system?

DLM should not be a problem in most cases as long as your line stay stable.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Oct-20 13:05:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by thomaswarne01:
In a surprise move BTOpenreach has today unveiled a new middle tier bandwidth product for their Fibre-to-the-Cabinet (FTTC) and Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) based “fibre broadband” services, which offers download speeds of up to 55Mbps and uploads of 10Mbps.

BT Openreach Launch New 55Mbps FTTC and FTTP Broadband Speed

That is if you live close enough to the cabinet to get it, if you are using FTTC.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Thu 01-Oct-20 15:15:13
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
Does the PPPoE session add extra attributes giving the line profile details?

Openreach don't. They don't provide any speed feedback at all on FTTP services. BT Wholesale could based on their records.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Oct-20 16:43:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Does "Fibre all the way to your door. With fibre to the premises or FTTP – we run the fibre all the way to your door. No sharing with your neighbours."

Make you happy?

Yet the 1st product under that description is FTTC smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to