General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Fri 02-Oct-20 10:51:33
Print Post

Re: Full FTTP go live

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Checking, an FTTP-only address provides 36-36 as the downstream range.

However, an FTTC/P address right next to the cabinet, literally it's just outside, gives a wider range of 33-36.

I'm thinking that estimate isn't reliable and we shouldn't pay too much attention to it, however I'd also say there's no reason for BT to provision 40/10 via FTTP, it costs more and doesn't contribute to volume discounts, and they should make clear that it isn't full fibre if that's the case.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Oct-20 11:12:20
Print Post

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

In my view Full Fibre should be 330/500/900 end of! I disagree with Full Fibre for 40/50/80/100 as it will be very easy confused thinking it coming from FTTC or even G.fast.

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 02-Oct-20 11:17:45
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
In my view Full Fibre should be 330/500/900 end of! I disagree with Full Fibre for 40/50/80/100 as it will be very easy confused thinking it coming from FTTC or even G.fast.

Are you saying that BT should refuse to sell someone FTTP 80M if their property has both copper and fibre present, even if FTTC is only capable of 10M ?!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Oct-20 11:22:45
Print Post

The average user wouldn't care about how it is delivered just what the performance is. FTTP is better technology even for the lower tiers and so it makes sense for the end user for those options to be available to them. Plus, if someone only has FTTP available then why should they have to pay for a service that is higher than they "need".
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Oct-20 11:25:01
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
Are you saying that BT should refuse to sell someone FTTP 80M if their property has both copper and fibre present, even if FTTC is only capable of 10M ?!

No, but it shouldn't called full fibre. I don't see any problem as full fibre is no speed issues to every property in UK because you getting full speed all the way from the telephone exchange to your home plus there is no DLM or banded on the FTTP line.

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 02-Oct-20 11:27:58
Print Post

Just highlighted the concerns in the news.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Oct-20 11:32:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

And raise this with ASA myself in due course. Very misleading MrSaffron.

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Oct-20 11:32:54
Print Post

Why isn't it full fibre? You can buy a 10Mb lease line over fibre - it is still full fibre. Full fibre is the technology not the delivered speed.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 02-Oct-20 12:07:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:
In reply to a post by candlerb:

No, but it shouldn't called full fibre. I don't see any problem as full fibre is no speed issues to every property in UK because you getting full speed all the way from the telephone exchange to your home plus there is no DLM or banded on the FTTP line.

The benefits of full fibre are as you describe: you always get the speed you pay for, and you get high reliability. However, those benefits are the same whether you buy 40M or 900M. 40M over full fibre is definitely better than 40M over copper.

I see the problem the other way round: that ISPs are selling the two products as "fibre", even though one is markedly better than the other. I understand the rationale - a 40M service is a 40M service - but in practice FTTC is less reliable, and less consistently delivers the headline figure.

The eventual solution is to stop selling FTTC at properties where FTTP is available, and that's exactly what Openreach wants to do - and is seeking regulatory approval for.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 02-Oct-20 12:11:20
Print Post

Not logged into the Smart Hub since I got it in late August for FTTP - has been truly plug and play

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to