General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jamesca69
(newbie) Sat 24-Oct-20 11:18:33
Print Post

Openreach cabling - timelines

[link to this post]

Morning,

Just wondering if those more knowledgeable than me could provide input on potential timescales around FTTP availability.

Earlier this year – Jan 2020 - it was announced (https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/01/openreach-add-227-rural-uk-areas-to-fttp-broadband-rollout.html) that my local exchange Carmarthen was added as part of the rural FTP rollout plan. The area did have pockets of FTTP before this but was quite limited, we have had FTTC since around 2014 though.

Checking the OR fibre checker and other sites since though and it still says no plans for me personally and to register interest etc.

However for the past 2 days OR and a local contractor have been in my small estate (new build in 2011) running new cables. As a relatively new build everything is in the ground with multiple ground access points dotted around. They got to the access point nearest my house yesterday and on politely asking them, they confirmed they are running new fibre cables from the local cab.

One.network also shows work from 22nd-26th Oct by BT as “pulling cable into existing duct” and the path they are on confirms it is feeding the estate from our local cab.

I have two questions based on the above….
1) From the point of them laying new fibre cables, what sort of timescale might it be before being able to place any such order for services?
2) Given the above is there any chance that it’s not FTTP and so won’t be available to me? i.e. before I get too excited

Thanks!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 24-Oct-20 12:05:52
Print Post

Re: Openreach cabling - timelines

[re: jamesca69] [link to this post]

Assuming FTTP then could be a few weeks or could be a few months depending on whether the links are in place all the way to the handover exchange

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to