General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Rekusu
(newbie) Wed 03-Mar-21 17:18:50
Print Post

FTTP installation

[link to this post]

What ho one and all,

The area I live has signed up the the BT Gigabit scheme and apparently, installation will be later this year.

At the moment, I have not signed because I am uncertain as to how the installation actually happens at / in the house.

As I understand it, OpenReach will bring the fibre from a pole to a termination box next to where my BT line currently comes into the house.

Then, whomever I choose as a fibre internet provider, will come and find the equipment and connect up to the OpenReach box on the external wall?

I would like the ONT in the loft but have been told that may installers will not work in a loft. Is this correct? My loft is fully floored, well lit and has a 13A power point so it is complete safe with no fear of putting a foot through the ceiling.

I don't want the ONT on the ground floor office inner wall. So is it possible that I could install a CAT5 (or 6) cable from the loft (ONT location) to the office space and even fit the RJ45 plugs myself and that would be acceptable to the fibre provider?

Basically I'm asking, if the fibre provider installs the ONT, the rest is just plugging in an RJ45 from the ONT to modem, and is something I can do myself. Is this allowed by the system?

Many thanks and toodle pip
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Wed 03-Mar-21 21:57:45
Print Post

Re: FTTP installation

[re: Rekusu] [link to this post]

Hi - Openreach will install the ONT inside the property and commission it on behalf of the broadband provider you order a service from. This includes the external cabling from the pole (or for that matter UG duct) in the street. You need to provide a suitable location for the ONT that is both accessible and has an adjacent 13A socket to power the ONT. Once installed the ONT remains permanently connected to the fibre and stays with the building. It’s Openreach property.

The network delineation / boundary is the RJ45 socket on the ONT. Beyond that is your responsibility and you can reasonably do as you wish. Depending on the broadband provider you sign up with, they will provide the router to connect to the ONT. However as it’s simply an Ethernet connection at the RJ45 you can choose to locate the router anywhere you so desire as long as you’re within the structured cabling/Ethernet permanent link / channel limit of 90 to 100 cable metres from the ONT - which for most domestic properties is more than ample.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Mar-21 14:39:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by Rekusu:
The area I live has signed up the the BT Gigabit scheme and apparently, installation will be later this year.

At the moment, I have not signed because I am uncertain as to how the installation actually happens at / in the house.
Would it be a deal breaker if you can't have the ONT exactly where you want it?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Rekusu
(newbie) Thu 04-Mar-21 15:48:49
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

As mentioned in my original post, I had heard the OpenReach so not enter lofts but in my case, the loft is 100% safe, not dirty and with plenty of light and working space.

As for the cable, I will give serious thought to installing my own length of CAT6 from the loft; it may be challenging but not impossible and certainly not something that I would expect a regular installer to undertake.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Mar-21 17:04:52
Print Post

If your ideal ONT location is in your boarded out, lit, loft ... (presumably accessed via stairs) then that ought to be OK.

Better still, provide a drawcord from inside to outside.

Standard User Rekusu
(newbie) Thu 04-Mar-21 18:57:40
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

The loft would be best.

I like the idea of preparing a hole but don't think that will happen as apart from not having a 12" (or longer drill bit), the current BT line position is near the apex of the roof which is around 9-10 meter high. Don't have a ladder that long and if I did, I would not be going up there. I don't bounce as I used to!!!
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Mar-21 08:55:19
Print Post

The loft would be best.

I like the idea of preparing a hole but don't think that will happen as apart from not having a 12" (or longer drill bit), the current BT line position is near the apex of the roof which is around 9-10 meter high. Don't have a ladder that long and if I did, I would not be going up there. I don't bounce as I used to!!!

Then you can't expect an Openreach engineer to do that either. Could they take the cable in to the loft under the eaves?
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Fri 05-Mar-21 09:28:40
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
The loft would be best.

Then you can't expect an Openreach engineer to do that either. Could they take the cable in to the loft under the eaves?

Well an engineer must have installed the cable in the first place! Sounds like a gable wall with the anchor point towards the top so presumably possible to use a longer cable passing through the anchor point then along the outside of the house to a suitable location for a CSP. Would Openreach do something like that?
Standard User Rekusu
(newbie) Fri 05-Mar-21 11:18:50
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

The shape of the house is not really relevant but effectivley, the front is a gable wall and the current BT cable is attached to the timber cladding and goes through a hole, into the loft.

Ten years ago when we moved in, BT installed the cable with no problems so I would have though that OpenReach would hopefully, do the same. If the ONT is located inside the house, they have to make a hole somewhere.

And making that hole at the poiknt where the fibre would attache to the house must surely be easier than attaching to that point, then bringing the cable down that wall, to the ground, along the front, down the side and then making the entry hole.

But what do I know? That is why I am asking.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Mar-21 11:25:50
Print Post

To be honest every installation is different and so are the installers doing the work, we have seen reports on here where installers bend over backwards to do what the customer wants (normally the Openreach directly employed staff) and we have seen other reports where the work has been subbed out to a contactor and they will only do the basics. You won't know for sure until the installer turns up on the day.

Edited by dect (Fri 05-Mar-21 12:28:29)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to