General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ianhrp
(newbie) Thu 08-Apr-21 10:22:27
Print Post

The day has arrived!!

[link to this post]

So today is the day, after ordering a full-fibre connection from Sky the BT Openreach engineers are here installing the full-fibre broadband connection. I am like a kid at Christmas with excitement to almost quadruple my download and upload speeds. Fingers crossed everything goes to plan.

Current speeds 25.3 down 4.95 up, the upload speed is my main thing, trying to live stream, upload 4k youtube videos is painful to say the least. Hoping to have 145mb down and 25mb upload when the install is complete.
Standard User dect
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Apr-21 10:26:15
Print Post

Re: The day has arrived!!

[re: ianhrp] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ianhrp:
So today is the day, after ordering a full-fibre connection from Sky the BT Openreach engineers are here installing the full-fibre broadband connection. I am like a kid at Christmas with excitement to almost quadruple my download and upload speeds. Fingers crossed everything goes to plan.

Current speeds 25.3 down 4.95 up, the upload speed is my main thing, trying to live stream, upload 4k youtube videos is painful to say the least. Hoping to have 145mb down and 25mb upload when the install is complete.
Brilliant, I'm excited for you smile
Standard User simon194
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Apr-21 14:11:44
Print Post

I've got another 2 weeks to wait before I get full fibre installed. Mine is ordered through Sky as well.

I hope Sky will start offering some faster options in the near future. If you are lucky enough to live in the ROI, Sky have the Ultrafast Max service which is the 1Gb option.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ianhrp
(newbie) Thu 08-Apr-21 14:14:07
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

I hope so as well, think they will roll out soon.
Standard User ianhrp
(newbie) Thu 08-Apr-21 14:17:31
Print Post

All done and installed. 3 OpenReach engineers needed for the install as they had to pull the cabling from the poll, all were very friendly and discussed where to put the box on the outside and inside. Very impressed took them about 3 hours to complete the installation.

All activated and working and now speeds of 148mb down and 27.5 up sure that will settle but so far all good.

One happy middle age man!
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Apr-21 14:39:21
Print Post

Congratulations!

There's no "settling time" for FTTP, as there's no dynamic line management. The speed you get is the speed you get now.
Standard User Grimers
(learned) Thu 08-Apr-21 16:52:23
Print Post

That's awesome! Here's to more people feeling the same! smile
Standard User 69bertie
(member) Thu 08-Apr-21 21:27:18
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
There's no "settling time" for FTTP,

Too true. I got 500/500Mb/s from the moment the router was turned on.

Standard User wtfnub
(newbie) Fri 09-Apr-21 04:11:14
Print Post

[re: 69bertie] [link to this post]

What isp and package are you on ? I ask because of your 500mbit upload, I’m with Zen and my setup was via OR and the max I got was 900mbit down and 120mbit up.

Was your install also done with bt openreach ?

There is also a City Fibre install going on in my city, digging up all the pavements and they offer 1000 up and down, but for the first 2 years vodaphone has exclusive access, to it.

I was just curious of your upload speed.
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Fri 09-Apr-21 08:45:01
Print Post

[re: wtfnub] [link to this post]

Openreach based FTTP is purely asymmetric (for now anyway). If you see folks posting symmetric FTTP speeds then its definitely not Openreach based FTTP but another FTTP altnet provider that does symmetric service. In the case of 69bertie above his service is from Lincs based Quantum Air Fibre.

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to