General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 04-Apr-14 22:15:58
Print Post

master socket location

[link to this post]

My line was installed around 25 years ago and comes into loft from pole, from there it is joined by jelly connectors to internal cable and terminates at the nte5, there is around 70ft of internal cable with another join at top of stairs right above where the electric cables run under floorboards.

Since I have had FTTC installed I have been watching the line stats and every time a certain things like cooker, washing machine certain lights are switched on I see a spike of crc errors in my line stats.

Would there be any benefit if I got my master socket moved to reduce cable length and to remove the join that sits above power cables, don't want to pay the charges if there will be no real benefit

kenny
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 04-Apr-14 22:37:48
Print Post

Re: master socket location

[re: deleted] [link to this post]

Installation by Kelly's or Quinn's subcontractors, rather than a BT Openreach engineer? With speeds well below the estimate?

My guess is a star-wired setup, with a junction box between the entry point and the NTE5, and extensions run from that junction box. That is death to FTTC, and not much better for ADSLx.

If you want to check, you should remove the NTE5 faceplate, though you can leave the VDSL2 interstitial filter module in place, then go round every extension socket in the house and see if a phone works plugged into it. If any does, I'm right. If none do, I'm wrong. Make sure you don't miss any, as even one is enough to screw things up.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 04-Apr-14 22:48:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

thanks for info but no extensions on line bt disconnected them and ran a new cable from join at top of stars to nte5

kenny

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 04-Apr-14 23:15:02
Print Post

But there were extensions before?

The engineer was BT, not Kellys or Quinns? A job done by BT Openreach is very unlikely to behave as you describe. One done by those two companies often does.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 05-Apr-14 01:26:47
Print Post

70 feet is a lot of internal cable and will pick up noise from throughout te house. Getting close to switched main is also a problem.

I prefer to get the master on the line as soon as possible.

Is your loft easily accessible? With decent steps? If so, you could get it located in there and then use the existing cables for voice and run Cat5e for data. You could also consider putting your modem in the loft or at least closer to the incoming point and running Ethernet over Cat5e to a router in a more convenient location. I have Master, Modem, Router and Switch located in one of my lofts ... all out of the way and just cable to sockets throughout the house for connectivity or WAPs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 05-Apr-14 09:27:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

there was an extension before last bt guy removed it from line but the wiring is still there
I honestly dont know why the just never went into loft (its floored) put the master socket up there instead of a join here and there.

kenny
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 05-Apr-14 10:03:50
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Cant install router in loft as i have no power supply up there and my wall are solid brick throughout house.
however if they would reroute the internal cable i could get length down to around 20-25ft
and away from mains cable

kenny
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 05-Apr-14 10:12:12
Print Post

Can you route the cables your self? BT staff or contractors will not drill through walls too often for various reasons - damage, hidden pipes/cables, ruining decor &c and that might explain the long routing.

Get the cable there yourself, then some CW1308 or Cat5e to where you want your main phone and Cat5e to where the modem /hub will go. Fit Phone and RJ45 sockets.

Get BT to move the master, then connect the phone and data sides to the face plate and that is it. Later on, if you feel adventurous, you could look at a way to feed power at low voltage up to the loft using spare cores or POE and fit the modem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to