General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User spile
(newbie) Thu 25-Jun-20 16:49:15
Print Post

BT FTTP premises

[link to this post]

My move from Plusnet FTTC to BT FTTP was carried out yesterday afternoon.
Good communications from the ISP. Engineer arrived at 1.30pm as expected.
A second unused twisted pair was disconnect at my request. The new fibre line was fed into the upstairs study. The fibre cable carried a twisted pair line. Job was completed at 5.30pm

Overall I am happy with the product and the installation. It took about an hour longer than expected as a Huawei ONT was mistakenly fitted. After a long call to his base later, it was replaced with a smaller Nokia ONT and I was connected.

Speed tester shows 493 Mb (Opted for BT Full Fibre 500 package) download speed which is quite a jump from the 24 Mb I was getting with Plusnet.

The only "slight" niggle is that the BT Smart hub has one fewer Ethernet sockets than the older Plusnet one it replaced.
Standard User busterboy
(committed) Thu 25-Jun-20 17:43:18
Print Post

Re: BT FTTP premises

[re: spile] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by spile:
It took about an hour longer than expected as a Huawei ONT was mistakenly fitted. After a long call to his base later, it was replaced with a smaller Nokia ONT and I was connected.

Speed tester shows 493 Mb (Opted for BT Full Fibre 500 package) download speed which is quite a jump from the 24 Mb I was getting with Plusnet.

Purely out of interest why was the Huawei ONT fitted and then removed for the newer Nokia ONT.

Was there a problem or was it you're request.

Glad you are up and running without a hitch though.

Makes a change from the 900 package that some folks are having speed problems with

BTBroadband
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(member) Thu 25-Jun-20 18:02:35
Print Post

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by busterboy:
Purely out of interest why was the Huawei ONT fitted and then removed for the newer Nokia ONT.

They are supposed to match ONU with OLT. It's a Nokia OLT serving the customer so a mistake was made. Can't have a Huawei ONU and a Nokia OLT as the profiles aren't on the system for it.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User busterboy
(committed) Thu 25-Jun-20 18:04:38
Print Post

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by CarlTSpeak:
In reply to a post by busterboy:

They are supposed to match ONU with OLT. It's a Nokia OLT serving the customer so a mistake was made. Can't have a Huawei ONU and a Nokia OLT as the profiles aren't on the system for it.

Everyday is a learning day.

I didn't know that, Thanks Carl. smile

BTBroadband
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 25-Jun-20 19:00:12
Print Post

If you need the lost ethernet socket, you can disable DHCP (and the wifi?) in the Plusnet router and connect it to the Hub using ethernet.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connection - Three B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. 1+ 8 Pro max 80Mbps down, 24Mbps up.
=========================
To argue with a mindless bigot is foolish.
Standard User spile
(newbie) Thu 25-Jun-20 23:19:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for this and the other replies. I have a switch so losing a port wasn’t a big issue really.
Standard User StuB
(committed) Fri 17-Jul-20 14:28:17
Print Post

I'm currently waiting for my Plusnet FTTC move to BT FTTP to go through and I have you may be able to answer.

My order was placed with BT online and I've not spoken with Plusnet at all.

I've had an email and a letter from Plusnet saying that they've had a request to move the phone line but not the broadband.

I spoke with BT and they said this is normal and it's because I'm migrating the copper phone line but I'm having new fibre broadband and that the phone move will cease both services with Plusnet.

Did you get a letter from Plusnet saying the broadband is moving?

Did you notify Plusnet and give them notice to end your contract at all?

Just trying to avoid paying two bills at the same time.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 17-Jul-20 16:00:40
Print Post

[re: StuB] [link to this post]

Plusnet packages are bundled i.e. phone with broadband.

Remove the phone service the broadband stops.

If somehow Plusnet thought it was going to keep your FTTC running it would have to allocate a new number so pretty certain if they've not done that they intend to stop the broadband.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User StuB
(committed) Fri 17-Jul-20 16:22:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks, that tallies with what the BT rep said.

The way the letter is worded it suggests they've not yet heard about the broadband moving.

Perhaps it's just the way I'm reading it.
Standard User danielhyde
(regular) Fri 17-Jul-20 16:45:09
Print Post

[re: StuB] [link to this post]

BT wont inform them about transferring the broadband as they're not transferring the broadband.
They're installing as a new service (fibre instead of copper) therefore it isn't a transfer smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to